1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

"Houston's approach to team-building exposed the Mavs in the playoffs"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by burlesk, May 1, 2015.

1. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

2 people like this.
  2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

3. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

At least one Mavs fan gets it.

Sucks that the Mavs first rounder is protected 1-7. They could be potentially terrible next season. If they're smart they will go for the rebuild because they're not going to the WCF anymore. Dirk era is over. It's too late for them to try to build players around Dirk

1 person likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That guys sounds suicidal. Geez.

It will suck if Jones and dMo aren't here next year.

1 person likes this.
  5. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

There are very few teams that are good at drafting players and building a team through the draft. It is even more difficult to build a championship team caliber by drafting players when you drafting players in with picks in the the middle of the draft.

The reason for that is because most championship caliber teams have all-stars that were drafted in the top of the top 5 of the lottery and /or acquired via free agency. Almost all of the teams that won championships that I can remember had players that were top picks. When you a look at the list below, you will see why so many teams take the tanking and or free agent acquisition route. The free agent acquisition route is not easy either because teams tend to hold on to their top players and rarely every trade.

Michael Jordan (3),
    Hakeem Olajuwon (1),
    Shaquille O'neal (1),
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (1),
    Magic Johnson (1),
    James Worthy (1),
    David Robinson (1),
    Tim Duncan (1),
    LeBron James (1),
    Allen Iverson (1),
    Dwight Howard (1),
    Gary Payton (2),
    Alonzo Mourning (2),
    LaMarcus Aldridge (2),
    Kevin Durant (2),
    Pau Gasol (3),
    James Harden (3),
    Russell Westbrook (4),
    Ray Allen (5),
    Chris Paul (4),
    Kevin Garnett (5),
    Kevin Love (5).

Exceptions to the rule include the following players:
    Shawn Kemp (17)
    Dirk Nowitzki (9)
    Kobe Bryant (13)

What Daryl Morey has done is really remarkable and unique and deserves a lot of credit. As a fan, it is no fun watching a team that has tanked. Even if you tank, you are not assured of getting a franchise quality player. When the rockets decided to rebuild after the Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady era, the team could have easily justified tanking. Instead, we got semi-competitive teams that competed for playoff spots, and believe you and me when I say watching the Rockets for those three or fours years was a lot more enjoyable than what Philadelphia, New York and Minnesota fans are now enduring.

2 people like this.
  6. hooroo

hooroo Member

An article mostly waxing lyrical about Jones when he wasn't even the 5th best player on the Rockets in that series. It explains why that site thinks Parsons is a max, foundation piece.

1 person likes this.
  7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Reading 101

1 person likes this.
  8. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

None of those veterans "took less" to play on this team. Terry and Brewer were traded and Smith was cut.

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

The idea of TJ, DMo or Bev in a Mavs uniform makes me feel ill.

1 person likes this.
  10. photojoe

photojoe Member

I agree with this. Dirk may still be able to score some, but he is done being an elite player that a team can build around. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you are a Rockets fan that enjoys watching the Mavs lose like I am) I don't see Mark Cuban being smart or patient and I expect him to chase other big name free agents only to see them miss out again.

1 person likes this.
  11. photojoe

photojoe Member

I would have said the same thing about Chandler Parsons last season. And then Cuban offered to pay him 15 million a season, more than James Harden, and I started feeling a lot better about him going there.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Bev most of all, even though I value him less than Jones or DMo. But him in a Mavs uniform? No. No, sir. Not in my America.

1 person likes this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I once said the same about Parsons

1 person likes this.
  14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Parsons and his big mouth made it pretty easy for me not to feel any type of way about him leaving. Match made in motormouth heaven, tbh.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

DM won't let Cuban get his grubby hands on our young ones. I am cautiously optimistic that Bev will be back with us next year.

1 person likes this.
  16. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading this.

A couple observations.

1) How can this guy write this article and not use Morey's line about how you have to be the team that drafts the Chandler Parsons, not the team that pays them max money? That line/situation perfectly encapsulates and epitomizes the entire point of his article.

2) He either overrated Jones or underrated Donatas. If DMo was healthy, Jones, not DMo, would be the versatile 4th big off the bench. I appreciate and agree with most of his praise of Jones, but Donatas's ability to score in the paint and hit the three makes him an ideal player designed for the offense we play more so than anyone else save Harden. Not to mention the impact on the defensive side that his positional defense brings.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice find, OP, and I wouldn't ordinarily say that about something coming from that source. While the author didn't say some things he could have said that Rocket fans would notice, like HamJam noted above, he did say a hell of a lot of nice things about the Rockets and the organization, while damning the way Cuban and the Dallas franchise have managed things the last few years, certainly since the championship. I enjoyed the read. Dallas sucks. I thank the writer of that missive for providing affirmation we didn't need here.

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Someone should tweet this article to morey and puban with morey's chandler quote. #notaverygoodteam

19. dabush713

dabush713 Member

#predictable #chemistry #assetsarepeopletoo

20. old_eggplant

old_eggplant Member

Exactly what I was thinking while reading the article.
    Another point, this article only tells half of the story. Rockets has more patience with their prospects is not the only reason why Rockets is at better position now, more importantly is Rockets was able to find the talent prospects using their draft picks at first place. Morey's data model that Cuban has been laughing at is the key differentiator between the two organizations.