1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Method to Evaluate Defensive Plays - Springer's Catch Featured

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobrek, Apr 16, 2015.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The little tidbit about Colin McHugh is interesting at the end. I had heard one of the reasons the Astros liked him was because they thought there was potential since he didn't throw his curveball enough. I didn't know that was based off the spin rate on that pitch that they were able to measure. Pretty cool stuff.

Also, George Springer is a good route runner. Maybe he can play WR for the Texans too. :)

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cosart has an impressive spin rate as well. He just has no control or deception.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea that must be why he has that terrible 3.26 career era

5. Buck Turgidson

None of this is new information.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you have a link showing this same information from last year?

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Don't know why we need to record how fast this or that is. :(

I mean, what's the use? It's just for pizazz.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Forget about the 2.49 ERA in 4 starts this season...he's walked 7 batters!

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Watching sports and paying attention to stats is pizazz. I don't watch every baseball game played by every team. I like knowing how good the other team is. These type of stats, if made publicly available, would allow for a more accurate description of each player's defensive impact.

Currently, defensive metrics are very similar to ERA. The pitcher's talent is the driving force behind ERA, but his defense, park, league, the judgement of scorer, and randomness of batters faced all impact ERA. Defensive metrics have the same issues that other factors greatly affect whether than can catch a ball hit to X spot. Knowing how hard ball is hit, angle, and efficiency of route would allow for a much more direct measurement of a fielder's skill for a particular type of batted ball.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Kris Bryant has not hit a homer in 51 plate appearances....As I expect Kris Bryant will hit more homers, I expect Cosart's ERA to be about 3.75 to 4.00 the rest of the year. Maybe a little less than that as he is in NL.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yeah, but I bet you anything the only thing they use these stats for is for the probability of winning/losing based on trends or statistical changes... but... I like watching the game thinking it could go either way but until the game is COMPLETELY OVER.

When they start saying "Springer can catch at so and so speed" and "Pujols can bat at such and such thing" and deduct or try to predict that Springer can't catch Pujols' home runs or he can, based on those numbers... that's when it gets COMPLETELY SILLY. :cool: You know?