1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Press] Clutch City Oral History

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Apr 21, 2015.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

1 person likes this.
  2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

On the Robinson MVP trophy presentation:

"He might as well have been raising the severed head of one of Olajuwon's teammates."

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Really great stuff in there.

4. LG1200

LG1200 Member

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Man, that 93-94 team had so many overly confident "ballers" not players but ballers. The type to just go out there and play free flow basketball and have confidence to make the right play without thinking too much. Terry has been that guy this year for us. He just goes out and plays extremely confident. Need more ballers like that Dream Team.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Really great job by Sean with this post.

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This was just amazing. Outstanding.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There should be a sticky for this. I learned a lot of things that I didn't know about our runs.

I had tears of joy when I read how sweet it is.

9. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Still the most amazing playoff run ever.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for posting and excellent read. I was already pumped up for the game tonight and now even more.
    CLUTCH CITY LIVES!

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember the first ad that came on NBC right after the Rockets won in 1995 was a Penny Hardaway ad. I had the feeling that that Magic team was Karmicly doomed.

12. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Been reading this the last 3 hours (doing it in between work makes me read slow). Anyways, reading this makes me realize just how perfect of a script this is for a 30 For 30. Probably will never happen, but how perfect is the script? Nobody believes in us story. The Choke City to Clutch City moniker. The Knicks series. The strong start next season, turning into a ton of road bumps and then the Clyde trade. Sprinkle in some backstory of Phi Slamma Jamma coming up short, and then Hakeem and Clyde coming together to win it with all those epic series in 1995 and you have yourself a hell of a script.

Someone start campaigning to Bill Simmons to get this in the works!!! NOW!!!

13. Know Your Role

I read somewhere on the board that there is a 30 for 30 being produced about the two runs.

14. reliableman

reliableman Member

Mario Elie on Barkley missing clutch free throws in game 5, "Chuck's booty hole got tight." HAHAHA...Mario you cold hearted MF.

15. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

It would have to be a documentary of some kind because if you adapted it as a dramatic Hollywood movie no one would believe it. "They came from behind how many times? They hit how many clutch shots? They beat ALL the best teams on the road? The old college buddies finally won the big one together? Come on, I could buy some of this but it's too much. Major League was so much more realistic..."

16. LG1200

LG1200 Member

That was me, and I was unfortunately sort of wrong. It'll actually be an NBATV Documentary. Look for it the first week of June this year before the NBA Finals. Pre-screening for VIP and season ticket holders at Toyota Center. There has been some discussions of possibly holding it at Lakewood (The Summit). For anyone who attended the Dwight premiere, expect something similar except more grandiose since the NBA will actually be involved.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love how rudy said real.
    That best described those teams.

And rap music in the 90s

18. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Amazing read. Just want to be part of this thread.:eek:

19. Rockfan

Rockfan Contributing Member

All these years later and Roundball Rock is still the best NBA theme song.

As cool as winning in 94 was, 1995 was much more incredible. I think the media and NBA fans in general, completely skip over the Rockets championships. "Oh Jordan was playing baseball" (of course he was in the 95 playoffs but that's conveniently forgotten) so whatever happened during his absence was just an aberration. But the Rockets insane path to winning in 95 and all those road games, and all those sudden death games have been unmatched before and since. I consider it a privilege of being a Rockets fan during that time because I remember how crazy it was. And props to the Rockets for bringing all those players back for that ceremony in March, that was very cool.

20. newAge_Rockets

Awesome read! Just beautiful work by Sean to capture those two years.