1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PFF '15 Current Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jbasket, Feb 28, 2015.

?

Draft/FA Need (assuming QB #1)

1. Defense

69.2%
  2. Offense

30.8%
  1. jbasket

jbasket Member

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/23/2015-depth-charts-green-bay-packers/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/25/pffs-2015-top-75-free-agents/

On offense:

Should be noted that Derek Newton probably needs to be resigned.

I think this depth chart confirms my (and others, I would think) belief that the Texans should draft defense first, even though it was the better of both sides last year. This is under the assumption that getting an elite quarterback is the HIGHEST of high priorities.

I am not quite sure that spending draft picks on a slot receiver is really valuable when other needs are present. Really QB and TE might be the only places to address. If AJ is cut, then WR becomes a need.

On defense:

Should be noted that Kareem Jackson must be resigned:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/18/afc-south-franchise-tags/

Might need to cut somebody (AJ? Cushing?)

He has helped stabilize the CB situation for the Texans. The defensive depth chart clearly has some areas that leave things to be desired, and I think it confirms what a lot of us saw last year: besides Watt, the defense was not good. Thus, there are more needs on the defensive side than offensive.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Without Foster the offense was awful.

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Without Watt the defense and offense was not that good. Secondary should be primary.

4. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Watt should have been listed as our best TE as well.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The premise is incomplete, surely until until March 10 when we will know whom Rick intends to keep and who he will cut and probably later in the Summer when some health conditions are clearer.. The draft will probably be BPA unless there is a glaring cut/lost FA need, like Andre', Myers, Brooks Reed ot Kareem Jackson. Then you'd probably lean toward that position. Cushing shouldn't be cut because it costs more to cut him than keep him and he is one of the team leaders, worth more than just his on field value.

I think the Texans will spend all their current money on Mallet, Newton, Jackson and Reed.
    I think they will extend Andre and cut Myers' to clear some cap, but not spend the money until summer when the less heralded FA's sign and we see if Clowney will play.

But every domino above changes the focus starting with Mallet. However since I have to guess now, I don't think they pass on Trae Waynes if he's there at 16 and adding pass rushers plays to our strength... we win with defense.

I wouldn't mind if we traded down for more 2's and 3's.

6. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

QB is obviously the prime priority and of course, every QB needs a decent line to be successful so Newton should be resigned as well.
    Any other position we lose this offseason needs to be replaced.
    The defense ranked 7th on points conceded but one position in particular has the potential to heal many other issues and that is pass rush, which Texans attempted to address last season.
    With Clowney and Nix being unknowns for next season, Texans will once again be addressing pass rush. This can very effectively be dealt with in the first two rounds with Malcom Brown DT or Haoli Kikaha OLB.
    The same argument could be made for a strong running game - Lynch has forcibly and amply re-demonstrated that in recent years.
    For mine, you address those three issues, QB, pass rush and RB, and Texans will be in the playoffs next season.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

Was the offense good with Foster? The only thing holding it back is a QB. The pieces are in place.

8. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yea, it is an incomplete premise. I'll agree. However, still gives a lot of info on player performances during this year.

I agree: unless we can get the QB, trade down and get those 2's and 3's.

9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Offense just needs a qb imo but defense needs a corner, safety, dt and olb