1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: What's Wrong With Patrick Beverley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

True, people forget how good TJ was at the beginning of the season cuz it seems like so long ago. But to give up a blossoming post player like Dmo would make me sick regardless

2. RESINator

RESINator Member

Rubio's bricks are compensated by his ability to distribute the ball and create plays for other people. He also has solid defense. Pat Bev doesn't have either going for him right now and he is starting to lose his hot touch at the start of the season.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah definitely an improved player but a chance I would take in order to get a player like dragic. that backcourt duo would immediately be right up top with the best in the league.

4. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

anyone else think that bev thinks that he's being traded and is trying to show his worth by forcing more?

That's what I've been thinking about these past few games. Maybe Morey told him to be ready.

For an emotionally driven, team guy, that must be one of the hardest things to deal with in ball.

5. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

It's a long season. His style of play requires a LOT of energy to maintain a high level. Maybe he is trying to help Harden out and using more energy on offense which affects his play on the defensive end. Not to menton the mathups he has on a day to day basis in the west, nobody can stop those guys.

I know he hears the rumblings about "the rockets need a PG" so im sure that has a impact on him. Knowing the team is looking to be replace him has to be tough. I do think he would be better served as a backup PG for us. I like the guy and his energy, but he is just not skilled enough in other parts of the game to be a starter, if harden is the only playmaker on the floor.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I see. So bricking every shot he took in that Detroit game should disqualify him from playing anymore? Good thing McHale doesn't hold Terry to that standard since he's made a habit of missing every shot he attempted in more than a few games recently.

And before anyone says that Terry earned his playing time by proving himself earlier in his career, let's not forget that Canaan did just fine as a starter in Bev's absence(and off the bench before that) prior to his ankle injury.

As for a coach playing his young guys during the regular season in order to develop them, yes. How the hell else do they get experience and develop as players? The D-League and practice ain't gonna cut it. There's a reason McHale and Morey make an effort to occasionally call up Capela and give him minutes. Why they don't do the same with Johnson and Canaan is beyond me.

#66 count_dough-ku, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

There is a reason why Canaan is not playing and it's not all about McHale not liking him... Canaan has had sometime on the court and he has looked bad.. He's a scorer and not a floor General and his defense is really really bad... I know Bev is struggling, but Canaan is not the the answer.

T_Man

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Goran can opt out if Dwight is not healthy.

I doubt if D-Mo plus K-Pap, Canaan etc can get us Goran, but if Morey can retain the Pelicans pick and get him, he will do it. I like Goran very much, but I don't want to give up D-Mo for him.

#68 saleem, Feb 9, 2015
  9. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

What is handicapping this team and making Dmo untouchable in my opinion is the uncertainty of Dwight. No one on this roster can replace what Dmo brings, a dependable low post presence. If Dwight wasn't such and uncertainty, the Rox could afford to trade Dmo for Dragic or any other possible big time pg. Trading Dmo I believe would create too big of a hole down low. Jones I feel should be the big that is traded. I'm even apprehensive about trading Capela because he could end up being important to the team when he finishes developing. Again, the uncertainty of Dwight is kind of handicapping the team from going all out.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

not much of an excuse imo. he's not playing any differently on offense. he still takes jumpers that are passed to him. plain and simple hes a bench pg and would be good for 15-20 mins. an energy player only starting by default because he has the luxury of harden next to him.

11. basketballholic

LOL at guys talking about Canaan looking bad (for one game) and ignoring Beverley looking bad (for 2 months now).

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

definitely a factor if hou was able to acquire dragic. but a positive is atleast the 6-8 week timetable is happening now instead of late in the season. dwight still has the opportunity to show his worth at the end of the season and when it comes to playoff time.

13. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I have the same sentiment described by MK. A Dmo for dragic trade feels like a lateral move at best, but I'm also honestly fed up enough with Bevs play that I'm actually beginning to consider it more of a possibility. Doing so is entirely dependent on Tjones getting back to form and if we can get a legit backup 5 in return. My slight change in position on this has nothing to do with Dmo but everything to do with how bad Bev has sucked as a starting PG.

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

When your argument starts with "did you watch the ________ game", the rest of it's not worth reading.

#74 WinkFan, Feb 9, 2015
  15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

If we got another player with that it would make it easier for me to stomach. Gerald Green or even Plumlee maybe.

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Honestly.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

FWIW, per ESPN's "Real Plus Minus" (a.k.a. Regularized Adjusted Plus Minus), Pat Beverley's effectiveness has regressed a great deal on both ends of the floor:

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/1
    http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/year/2014/sort/RPM/position/1

RPM had him pegged as the 5th most effective PG last year. He has fallen to 36th this season.

Not that RPM is the final word on player impact, but in Pat's case it reflects what we can see-- that he just has not been the same player.

Side note: Another guy whose RPM really regressed is Goran Dragic. Maybe he isn't playing as well, but it's probably has something to do with the Suns having a few guys with duplicate skills that diminish the impact that each of them makes.

18. Ithaca

Ithaca Member

Being a good offensive rebounder among point guards doesn't add much. The additional possession we get from his offensive rebound per each game over what other teams get is one or less. Plus, by competing for the offensive rebound that you have very low probability of grabbing, you are being late on the transition defense which costs the team. He's dribbling way too much and the dribbling involves excessive use of unnecessary crossovers that don't even deceive the opposing guards. He's shooting as discussed by the podcast guys as been atrocious as of recent. Most of the criticism he is getting these days seem well-justified (don't even get me started on his defense).

19. SunsRocketsfan

There's nothing wrong with him. He wasn't that good to begin with.

20. basketballholic

I want Aaron Craft on my bench.