1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: What's Wrong With Patrick Beverley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

He was never that good to start with, he should only be a role player who comes in to add 20 mins of energy

2. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

Don't understand why Canaan isn't getting any run, Terry shouldn't be playing so much. Which McHale would play more of the bench then scale back in April...think I'm making too much sense...sorry

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Oh Snap!

[​IMG]

4th String!

You are right. I completely forgot about Steve Nash. And here I kept saying Jeremy Lin is a 3rd string PG.

My bad everyone.

4th string it is.

As for Patrick Beverley....he is being asked to do more than what he is capable of ie. Trevor Ariza effect. He needs to come off the bench and play reduced minutes which will make him effective again.

IMO, the injuries have taken a toll on him. His playing style requires him to go all out all the time. His injury has either slowed him down or he is psychologically holding it back because he keeps getting injured.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

From what I've seen, Bev has had major issues staying with his man off the P&R. He gets stuck way to often on the picker and either gets backed into the lane for an easy layup from the big or gets stuck on the picker and lets his man get by on the easy layup.

I know that the help defense should be able to step in front of his man but when you're constantly going up against the likes of Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, Damian Lillard, Mike Conley and Tony Parker's of the West those guys more often than not will find the open man, make the layup, or swing the ball around to take advantage of the over compensation our defense is doing to make up for Pat's lack of.

This sucks cause we really don't have another guard who can play D at Bev level besides Harden now.

:(

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe last season was Bev's Linsanity stretch on the defensive end. Now he is coming down to earth and just playing like what he really is--an energy guy who is not really very skilled as a defender.

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This. The fact that he started ducking/refusing interviews once he started racking up injuries again at the start of the season was pretty telling.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Wow...... Harden

Last 35 games

29/7/6/2/1

shooting 48% from floor and 42% from three....

That is special... and his defense has been solid.

Too bad Dwight is hurt.

Harden is just really amazing.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't buy that he's injured. Hell, he was banged up last season almost the entire year with various injuries and he was a much better player. I think it's a combination of things. First of all, maybe last year was a fluke and Bev is in reality much closer to the player he's been this year vs. what he was able to do last season. It's not like it's never happened before with the Rockets. Remember how Matt Maloney was a pretty damn good 3-point shooter(and hit some clutch shots in that Seattle series) his rookie season and then turned into a scrub the following year and beyond? I think we're expecting Bev to be something he's probably not capable of being.

Secondly, I do think the pressure of the contract year is getting to him. He knows this is probably his one and only shot of getting a big offer from someone given his age and injury history. No, he's not jacking up a bunch of shots out there and playing selfishly. But it does seem like he's struggling with his confidence when he does try to score. The teardrop that was becoming a reliable shot for him last year is gone. His midrange game is weak. And his outside shooting is pretty bad lately too.

As for his defensive dropoff, that could also be the contract year messing with his head. He already had to miss games on two separate occasions this season due to a hammy injury. He's likely trying to avoid reinjuring himself which is why he doesn't leave it all out there on the floor like in year's past. Especially with Canaan actually filling in admirably in his absence. The only thing worse than the prospect of missing extended time in a contract year is missing time and potentially losing your starting spot to another guard. Particularly on the Rockets who seem to have that happen every couple of years.

Regardless, Bev is likely gone after this year thanks to his poor play and the need to commit the money he'll want to a far superior player assuming one is available. For an organization that values "flexibility" as much as it does, it would make little sense to tie up millions under the cap in a guy who's at best a backup PG.

1 person likes this.
  9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Right on point Clutch....

As i stated in another thread... Bev is going thru some very rough picks to keep up with his man and those can take a toll on you after while. His mad dog defensive style of play may be wearing him down also...

T_Man

10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I'd much rather have a him as a "somewhat lockdown defender" than him trying on offense.

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

A meniscus tear that (1) to my knowledge that was never medically treated and (2) Cyberx told us shortly before the season started was still of serious concern to the staff is a little different than just "banged up." Especially when it comes to speed and the ability to keep your man in front of you.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Well then why wasn't it medically treated? They had all offseason to deal with it.

13. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

As I recall, there was a surgical option, but he decided not to do it. That is why he came back so quickly last year. Since I don't remember hearing other news, I assume he didn't have surgery in the offseason either.

14. basketballholic

Good lord.

Where were you last year when I kept telling the LOFs that Canaan was better than Lin?

Care to explain why McHale isn't giving Canaan a chance to run the team when Harden sits? Or at the very least get some minutes as a spot-up shooter since our shooters are so lacking?

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He is taking 2 more 3 point shots per 100 possessions and exactly the number of 2 point shots. Not sure if those 2 more attempts are sapping his energy so much that he has little left for D.

More likely a lingering injury.

16. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

Bev playing hero ball in the final minute of the Blazers game has cemented me into a hater. His floater % is good but he refuses to play to his strengths. I dont care what happens to this dude.. waived, traded, buried in bench, I just want him gone

17. hakeemthagreat

If you're upset with Bev's shooting, you'd literally have a heart attack watching Rubio brick 3's. Bev's been atrocious lately, but I think it's more mental than anything. If you're gonna replace him then let it be with someone who can score, assist and defend.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

In some ways, I think he's just not in the proper role, kind of like Josh Smith but not to the same degree.

Beverley is a backup 3&D PG that should give you 20-25 minutes of high energy play. Right now we are asking him to give us 31 mpg as a starter, and facilitate the offense every once in a while......that's just not who he is.

What Brewer did for Ariza is what I think adding the right PG would do for Beverley. Put him in the right role, and his shooting %s will come back.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Always thought he was a bench player, but not as far down on the bench as Jeremy Lin. I have heard rumors of a "partying lifestyle." But they are just rumors. If true, they are taking a toll.

20. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Umm did you watch the Detroit game? 0 for 6, almost single handedly killed a Rockets comeback, and some of the worst defense played in the NBA this season.

McHale may be a lot of things...but he won't play guys who don't earn their time. He always plays the best players he has on the bench and is not a coach who will jeopardize games to get unworthy players playing time.

As bad as Bev has been, I doubt we will see much of Canaan until/unless he lights it up in practice.