1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: What's Wrong With Patrick Beverley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

First.....thanks I have something to listen to while I'm at home sick

1 person likes this.
  3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

He's trying to hard on offense because he is trying to get paid. Thing is he sucks on offense, if he played his role he'd be better off an still get paid.

Pat Bev is an idiot

4. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

Thanks for the topic. His play of late has been atrocious. Really think we need an upgrade at PG. Even Jeremy Lin would be an upgrade!

5. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

This was needed.

6. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

THIS x1000000

Never would've thought Bev would change his game during a contract year. :rolleyes:

7. s.b713

s.b713 Member

This, wish he would play more within his game.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If Bev just keeps doing what he's always been doing we'll be fine. No idea why he's trying to change his game?

Playing same as last year PLUS better 3pt shooting makes him a super valuable piece.

9. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Beverley is all about imposing his will on point guards, but that style is very costly if he misses. I believe the next step in his defensive evolution is him paying more attention to analytics and opposing player's tendencies to be better prepared.

On the offensive end, I don't really have a problem with him. He has to be one of the best offensive rebounding point guards in the association, and I feel as if that is often overlooked. We're 35-16, and I guess Beverley is the new scapegoat.

10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Only partway through, but you guys already highlighted what is becoming more and more of a concern to me. The need for a secondary playmaker / legit backup 5 has been apparent, but our lack of reliable shooters is becoming very troubling as well. Like you said, Harden and Josh do a great job of drawing the defense and finding open shooters -- but Bev, Ariza, Corey and (until last night) Jet have just been putting up brick after brick after brick after brick. Not even contested or off the dribble, either -- ones where they've been set and wide open for what seems like forever, had time to make a sandwich, watch a re-run of their favorite sitcom, etc. If we had legit 3 points shooters... whew.

Our offensive strategy and our personnel don't really mesh.

11. Zergling

Zergling Member

Really? Beverley is slacking off on defense to focus on offense so he can get paid? He took FOUR shots in the Blazers game. Not exactly a stat line of a selfish guy looking for numbers. Moronic takes on the GARM.

Beverley's problem is he's just not good anymore. Teams figured out his schtick on defense and adjusted. He's not a big guy so it's not a surprise his D struggles once he was scouted.

He's utterly useless to the starting lineup and he's STILL starting! That part isn't his fault. That's all on McFail for never using Canaan and allowing him to gain valuable regular season experience.

12. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Yup! This is why my dream trade for a while was to get Rubio, Martin, and Pekovic. never even looked at contracts, after we already had one deal with Minny this season I pretty much figured that had no chance...

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't agree with this... Beverley lets the offense come to him. There were a couple of plays late in that game where he dribbled too much and the offense halted, but that's rare, imo. He's just not knocking down his threes and his defense has been wildly inconsistent.

If he was doing those things consistently, there wouldn't be much of a problem. You sacrifice playmaking and penetrating ability playing a guy like him because he's been so good in the past at those other things.

No, he wouldn't. Jeremy Lin is the fourth-string point guard on one of the very worst teams in the league and possibly the worst point guard rotation in the league, listed behind a 41-year old retiree, a defense-only journeyman and a second-round rookie. Both Jason Terry and Isaiah Canaan are far better options than Lin. As bad as Beverley has struggled the last month, Lin has taken even further steps back.

What the Rockets could use is a Dragic-type, but easier said than done. If not possible now (and it's not likely), they may have to wait until the summer to upgrade the spot.

1 person likes this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

yup yup yup. The point where I was like "this doesn't seem like the bev I know.." was two games ago when he ran the shot clock out three times in a row for consecutive isos.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

.....not sure if serious? :confused::confused:

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

That play where he pounded the rock for 24 seconds without really doing anything absolutely told me that there is something wrong with him. Like I said in another thread,it's one of two things possibly both.

1. Bev is playing through injury this being his contract year.
    2. Bev is trying to show more on offense than he is capable of whether it's pounding the ball trying to create for others or taking step back shots.

Bev is now trying to play passable D (having acquired the reputation of being an "elite" defender) while saving energy and getting better numbers on the offensive end. Unfortunately, that is not what the Rockets require from him and that is not what he is. The guy is a real definition of 3 and D. He is an energy player but he is now forcing things way too much.

17. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

For some reason he thinks just because he's standing in the corner 3 point line, he must jack it up. Even if he's covered. These lead to long rebounds and fast breaks on the other end. Very frustrating.

On defense, he is obviously coasting until we get to the playoffs. No one can play his intensity of D for 35 mins a night and not get hurt. It is ideal for us to get a starting PG and let Bev get back to his tenacious style for 15-20 mins. That is his game, his current role doesn't suit him.

#17 HeyDude, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  18. dtrain0928

dtrain0928 Member

Drake stole his girl.. Hadn't been the same since.

19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

The commentary on Dwight is super depressing.

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Simply, Bev is a bench PG, who comes in with his energy and creates havoc for 5-8 minutes

Expecting anything else is pipe dream.

Why he's in a slump, dunno, but IMO he still could do same damage he did last year coming of the bench