1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bleacher Report]How Badly Do Houston Rockets Need an Upgrade at Point Guard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Junkyard Dog, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

Didn't see this posted...

Not a bad read. Here's the article...http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2350370-how-badly-do-houston-rockets-need-an-upgrade-at-point-guard

1 person likes this.
  2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I feel Jameer Nelson is literally not tall enough to defend in the west. Dragic is the clear winner...

1 person likes this.
  3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Calderon and Nelson are both garbage, no thanks

1 person likes this.
  4. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

Easy solution if trade for a PG doesn't work out?

Just move Harden to PG (already handles the ball majority of time) and bump Brewer into starting lineup to match up against opposing PG. Or bump up any other player depending on lineup situations. Bev can handle back up duty.

Playing a PG for the sake of playing a PG doesn't need to be a rule...

3 people like this.
  5. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Good article, but, aside from Dragic, the suggestions for acquisition given by the writer are really terrible. Really, very, awfully quite terrible.

I am not sure who else I would suggest -- but I am sure Morey has his targets. Overall though, I agree with the points of the article -- Beverley's defense has slipped and he is not a starter level point guard like he was last season (because of his defense).

Also, the article is being way WAY WAY too generous in describing Clint Capela as a promising rookie center. He may look promising in the D League, but in the NBA, thus far at least, he looks really bad (worse even than the suggestions given by the writer for possible upgrades at the PG position).

1 person likes this.
  6. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Beverly is starter material, except not in today's day and age where there are so many elite PGs in the league. The West is literally stacked, Curry, Parker, CP3, Lillard, Conley, Ellis, etc and the East has Wall, Teague, Rose, etc. This is insane!

I don't think Dragic will solve all of our problems nor do I think he is better defensively than Bev. The type of hard nosed defense Bev plays is not sustainable. As long as we're in the playoff race and he can turn it on during the playoffs, that's all that matter.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Take him off the board . . .. . . . who else do you take?
    IF DRAGIC is off the board. . . . .do we simply go with that we have ?
    Dragic or nothing?

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Good article. Want Dragic. Bev is a back up, always has been.

1 person likes this.
  9. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

If we are talking about the Bev from last year, then I would agree with you. But this year he is not the same tenacious Tony Allen like defender. He just isn't. I loved that Honey Badger Bev -- the Bev we are getting this season is not the same.

Unless Morey has someone up his sleeve that none of us are thinking about (similar to when he went and got Lowry), then yes, I would rather go with what we have then make a trade.

10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

If only we would have given Gogi the player option and never gotten Jeremy.............................

1 person likes this.
  11. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

A big problem is, we need a playmaking PG. One that will keep driving the lane to kick for open shots for our players. Bev just drives and run back to Harden. Which didn't move their defense at all. Why did GSW lose to Bulls? Why did we lose to Pistons and Magics? Hell even good teams with great PGs? They drive and kick out to open shots. ALL NIGHT. They are blowing right pass Bev for easy layups.

1 person likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Randy Foye should be on the short list as well.

1 person likes this.
  13. bmd

bmd Member

I couldn't imagine the Suns trading Dragic at the deadline.

1 person likes this.
  14. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

It's too bad Bev's body isn't built for his play style as a starter. Best to come off the bench.

1 person likes this.
  15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Upgrades that could at least feasibly land here that would be preferable to Bev are pretty numerous. He has pretty much been exposed and needs to go back to a key role off the bench. Dragic, Lawson, Rubio and Knight are the four that I prefer.

1 person likes this.
  16. HRox832

HRox832 Member

God, how perfect would Goran be in Houston?

1 person likes this.
  17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

we go with what we have if an upgrade is not available. Jameer Neilson is not good enough to make the Rockets roster, he is simply not as good as what we have.

1 person likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty much the main points that have been discussed in previous bev threads.
    best of the bench at this point once they upgrade the pg spot.

1 person likes this.
  19. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Hmmm. This is so simplistic that it actually makes sense for a short playoff rotation .... Nice fall back if we get nothing done ...

1 person likes this.
  20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I knew Bev has been getting lit up lately, but has his defense really been that bad all year? Is it a result of these injuries he's had? What's going on there?

1 person likes this.