1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Suns great announces he will retire after this season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jan 21, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]Former Suns great Shawn Marion announces he will retire after this season

When Shawn Marion headed to the Cleveland bench late in last week's game at US Airways Center, "The Matrix" was saying goodbye to Phoenix.

Marion said he plans to retire after this season with Cleveland, ending a 15-year NBA career that was mostly spent as a star with the Suns.

When the Suns drafted Marion in 1999, Marion set a goal to play 15 seasons. The 36-year-old believes he could play another three seasons but being away from his first child, 8-month-old Shawn, has convinced him to retire after this season with the Cavaliers.

"I wanted to go out on my terms," Marion said. "The biggest thing is having a son. I got attached to him. Seeing him periodically is hard. Watching him grow up on pictures and videos is hard."

Marion considered retirement last summer but chose to sign with Cleveland mostly for a chance at a second championship ring and the proximity to his son in Chicago.

Marion will continue playing basketball, just not professionally. He spent part of last offseason playing in a 35-and-older league in Chicago.

"It's been a great ride," Marion said. "I really wish I could've brought a championship to Phoenix. But it was awesome."[/rQUOTEr]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 J.R., Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

124 win shares for his career (40th of all time). Should be a Hall of Famer. I always felt he was very underrated and not enough of the mid 2000's Suns success was credited to him.

3. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Guess he's realized halfway through the season that the Cavaliers will not win a championship and he's not following him back to Miami.

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I been Shawn Marion with the shot boy

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

One of my favorite players of all time. Singlehandedly made me fall in love with the do-it-all SF archetype

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Purest jumper the league has ever seen.

But he was a great player. I'm not sure he is a HOFer. IMO he is on the cusp but needed a Championship on his resume to get in.

7. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

He got one with that Dallas team that beat Miami.

8. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Solid career. That 99 draft produced some quality talent. While both Francis and Brand are now out of the league, Marion, Terry and Andre Miller are still playing.

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

He had a really good career for someone not seen as an All-star or Superstar. Besides his really awkward shot, his game was the perfect fit to be a super role player that helped teams win games and his case, one championship.