1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Dec 29, 2014.

?

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

1. Yes

34.1%
  2. No

65.9%
  1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I've been devoutly following the team since they were originally awarded to LA, then when they became the Houston 2002s and of course The Texans.

We all know it has been a tough ride and all we have to show for it is a couple ok playoff appearances. Does the name and colors have any meaning to you? I never liked the idea that we were taking a name that was once used by a Dallas team but I didn't think it was horrible.

The team just hasn't created many special moments. I'm one of the people who hopes that we can buy the Oilers name once the Adams and Mcnair families are out of the picture. Who knows when that will be. This of course assumes that the team stays as one of the 10 worst franchises in the league.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I associate their name and colors and gear with a very specific audience. It just doesn't appeal to me.

When I think Texans' fan I think someone fighting in the parking lot or calling in to 610 radio from the suburbs about why the backup QB needs to play while eating a 1,300 calorie hot dog.

I picture John McClain snoring during a radio interview.

I picture a loud, obnoxious lady whose heyday was way back in 1987, with big hair, on her 3rd divorce going on and on about JJ Watt despite not knowing what position he plays. The same lady that complained about drafting Watt, insisting we should have taken Fairley, despite not having any clue who either was during the draft.

I've had people purchase Texans' shirts for me in the past. I cant say that I've ever worn them with pride.

That's harsh but it's how I feel. Just my opinion. I don't like to associate myself with the brand. I go out of my way to avoid Texans' talk with other fans because 75% of the time they aren't knowledgeable about football.

I drink from an Oilers Tervis.

#2 Ziggy, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're being a bit dramatic calling the Texans "one of the 10 worst franchises in the NFL", 18 teams have had more than 2 losing seasons in the last 8 years, the Texans aren't one of them.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't care for the Texans brand, but this post is pure garbage.

5. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Very judgmental but i can't say i disagree. Of course these are generalizations and not everyone fits inside this stereotype.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Not really. The Oilers name still means more to me.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  7. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I agree with absolutely everything in this post. I think it may in part just be that I don't want to associate myself with football fans generally. I think we all know that the Texans will never wrestle the Oilers away. The franchise is probably more profitable now than it would be if they reverted to the old name or colors.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Oilers mean absolutely nothing to me.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This thread again.

Yes, it does.

I think it's awesome being a fan of a franchise since its inception.

1 person likes this.
  10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

would love to go into say San Francisco waving a flag with a massive oil derrick on it. It would drive those hippies nuts. Go Oilers!

1 person likes this.
  11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Somehow after all the mess, it still does. I never really grew up with the Oilers, was just 5 when they chunk deuce, really didnt start following them until 2004 going into 2005( season when we only won the 2 games) Yet I'm still happy that Houston has a football team of its own.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Oilers still have a bit of nostalgia for me, and the Texans having a throwback Oilers day would be fun, but that's it. It seems some people are looking back with rose colored glasses when it comes to the Oilers though, they were the epitome of incompetence.....just look at the Titans.

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

If your franchise has only been around for 11 years then that isn't super meaningful. Bobbythegreat hasn't even been alive much longer than that.

Who cares if some franchises have struggled over the last 10 years while yáll have done better? That is not the discussion. You can be an iconic franchise and have sucked recently. Ask Dallas. The Texans are dispensable to the NFL.

1 person likes this.
  14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

This. I don't represent Tennessee.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

16. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I think as a brand it doesn't hold much weight amongst non-Texans fans. The name is corny, and the jersey designs have been pretty boring. The new Nike jersey's didn't even change anything either. The logo isn't the greatest either.

With the team only being in the league for such a short period of time, and not yet establishing a winning culture, the brand is non-existent outside of the Houston market.

I am also not nostalgic with the Oilers. As a child I was a Packers fan being that most of my family is from Wisconsin. Growing up in Houston in the 90s pretty much forced me to like the Cowboys to fit in at the time, but I was never a die hard. When the Texans came a long I decided that they would be my one and only team. Being from here I root for all the home teams. Die hard Rockets and Astros fan, loved the Aeros as well.

If they were to re-brand the franchise, so long as its an improvement, I probably wouldn't even have an ounce of care for the current logo/color scheme vanishing. Up until then however, I support the brand through and through.

17. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Also, As far as the franchise being meaning to the NFL. It is very much so. Being the 5th ranked wealthiest franchise will do that for them. They won't ever go anywhere, so long as McNair doesn't go all Bud Adams on us. I don't think Houston would allow that.

18. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

People asking for the Oilers name back need to stop living in the past.

Embrace the future.

This franchise has been blessed with incredible players. Love it or go root for another team and watch old videotapes while reminiscing the past.

As long as this team wins I couldn't care less if they play in pink, purple or have a donkey as a logo. Have kind of name is the freakin Lakers? Its terrible, and yet its known worldwide and embraced for one and only reason: they win.

If the Oilers had that kind of history I'd understand. But they don't. So get over it and move on.

19. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Texans>>>Oilers

1 person likes this.
  20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

They had the 5th worst winning percentage in the 2000s and two of the teams below them had super bowl appearances and one other had made the playoffs. There was no easy way for me to look up the stats for the 2010s but obviously the Texans were better.

The team has two playoff appearances in 13 years. Spin that any way you want.