1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BANDWAGON] What teams have you jumped on board for?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by steddinotayto, Nov 10, 2014.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

For me the top 5 off the top of my head were/are:

5. 2011 Seattle Seahawks. I loved Richard Sherman's undressing of Skip Bayless, his reaction after making that defensive play against the 9ers, Russell Wilson's coming-out-of-nowhere storyline. To cap it all off, they thoroughly manhandled Peyton Manning in the Super Bowl.

The jump off date: TBD. I still like the team very much and Wilson is the heir apparent in my QB fandom after Brady retires.

4. 2010 OKC Thunder. I loved the core they had with KD, Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka. Hell, throw Nick Collison in there too. It was fun to see Scottie Brooks go from tight short shorts on the Rockets to coaching a great team.

The jump off date: Surprisingly it didn't happen when Harden was traded to Houston but when both teams met in the Playoffs in 2013. I went to the games and Durant's verbal exchanges with the fans during the game made me dislike him. Dude is a phenomenal player but something about that (plus Westbrook's overall demeanor and Kendrick Perkins being Kendrick Perkins) just made me say "Hey driver, let me off here"

3. Tampa Bay Rays: It's a quirky thing because it started out when the Rays first came out of nowhere and put themselves in contention in 2008. Then it manifested into a fun obsession with the team because my initials are TB and I liked the fact that I could walk into a Lids store and get my initials on a hat. I continued to follow the team from afar until...

The jump off date: Joe Maddon left recently. David Price's departure was a "when" thing and not an "if" thing so I wasn't bummed out about that but something about Maddon getting that average roster to play above their singular talent level made me appreciate that team.

2. 2002 Houston Astros: I'd like to preface by saying that I followed baseball and the Astros religiously growing up but MJ in 1991 and the game of basketball made me put America's past time in the drawer after Kevin Brown destroyed our team in the playoffs back in 1998. The great timespan when we had Clemens, Pettitte, Oswalt, Berkman, etc was a great time to jump back on the Astros bandwagon again.

The jump off date: 2007. Bagwell and Biggio were done and so was my last great connection/memory of the team.

1. 2001 New England Patriots: Tom Brady's story, Bill Belichek's coaching, that defense, Vinatieri's clutchness......

The jump off date: Still going strong 13 years later though I'm sure it will happen right when Brady announces his retirement.

2. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

The only team I have ever been a bandwagon fan for was the Pittsburgh Steeler teams of 2005 to about 2010-2011ish. I was a teenager and I used to always play with them on Madden because Roethlisberger was the perfect Madden QB (could throw and had surprisingly a good amount of scrambling speed 72). Then as I played football (defense) in high school I grew to love Joey Porter, James Harrison, Troy Polamalu and the way they played Blitzburgh defense. With a lot of my favorite players leaving and me not playing Madden anymore I havent been able to root for them as much so about 2011 I stopped caring about them.

I always hope for Andrew Luck to have a good game but for the Colts to lose since we played together in high school.

#2 Butterfingers, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I bet y'all enjoy your girlfriends cheating on y'all or leaving y'all for another guy while y'all are down on your luck... :grin:

4. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Is this just like a team you root for on the side or are you talking about jumping fully on the bandwagon and buying the team's gear and talking mad ish to people about your team and everything?

Cuz I've never been fully on board with anyone other then my core teams. I rooted for the Seahawks last season cuz the Texans weren't going anywhere. That's usually the only time I root for another team is if my team is out of the race.

5. steddinotayto

I guess I'm talking about the latter but probably more with getting on board with a team when they're getting a lot of hype. Case in point, my allegiance to the Patriots. The only time I don't root for them is when they play the Texans. That's when the Brady jersey stays in the drawer and the Watt jersey is on.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Shout out to a fellow Stratford High School alum!

For the same reason, I'm a Luck fan and hope he does real well. I was on JV basketball his last year of Varsity, so I got to know him pretty well and he's a great dude.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I became a hardcore Eagles fan when the Oilers left, still am. I just can't pull myself to even care about the Texans for some reason.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I tried to be a Saints fan when the Oilers left, as the closest team that weren't the Cowboys. But, they sucked too much and it just wouldn't hold. Then I tried being a Steelers fan, but I couldn't do that either even though they didn't suck. That's the closest I ever got to bandwagoning.

9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I was a 49ers fan when the Oilers left. Not necessarily my own doing, my dad became one and those were the games we watched. So if I am not rooting for the Texans (they are out of the playoffs or whatever) I am rooting for the 49ers if they are even in the playoffs.

If no teams made it, I could care less. I will still watch games but not care who wins.

I will always be an Astros and Rockets fan.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

As a native Houstonian, I can't imagine pulling for any other pro team for more than 1 game. Unless it somehow benefited a Houston sports team.

I casually pulled for UT when Vince Young was in school. He was just so damn fun to watch. Still the best college football player I've ever seen.

I will always pull for a Texas school over a non-Texas school. Does that count?

I pull for UH basketball too, even though I didn't go there. Goes all the way back to the Phi Slamma Jamma days. Hopefully Sampson can one day restore it. Again, not sure if this counts or not, since I live in Houston.

11. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

If it's not a Houston team then I don't jump on board for any other team.

Even if it's the playoffs or Finals, or World Series, or Super Bowl, I don't root FOR any team. I root AGAINST one team more than the other.

12. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

This.

With the exception of the Saints. Got on board with pulling for them when the Oilers left. Will pull for Blackhawks in hockey. Co-worker got me hooked on them a few years ago. Very fun team to "bandwagon".

13. steddinotayto

That's funny because my brother lives in Chicago and we went to Sunday Mass and it was a sea of Blackhawks jerseys in the church. I can understand a few jerseys here and there (seen some Cowboys fans show up in gear at an Arlington church) but never seen anything like that before.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Rockets. Been on the bandwagon since 93 bro.

15. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

When I first started watching football, I was in college and I quickly became a Colts fan bc of Peyton Manning.
    That lasted a year or 2 then I became a Texans fan bc well, I'm from Houston. Kinda wish Ida stuck with the Colts. I still have a Colts sweatshirt, my first ever NFL apparel purchase.

16. newAge_Rockets

Always been a fan of the Astros/Rockets/Texans. I was born in 1996 so I missed the Oilers era and The Dream.

Jumped on the Packers bandwagon in 2008. Met Aaron Rodgers, Driver, Jordy Nelson among others. I honestly won't care about them after Aaron retires.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Houston Rockets, jumped on because Yao Ming and his Chineseness

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I pulled for the Rangers in the World Series. Not sure if I can count that as bandwaggoning as I usually have a favorite in every championship.

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Gennady Golovkin

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't do this. There are teams I enjoy watching but I don't consider myself a fan of theirs because I don't really care about the outcome.

I'm a fan of the Rockets and Texans, and a fair-weather fan of the Astros*. I grew up in a UT household so it's just in me to support them, but I'm by no means a passionate fan. I watch most UT football and basketball games, but if I have something else going on... meh. But I don't consider that bandwagoning since I've been following them since I was in the 5th grade.

*Used to be a hardcore fan but just stopped caring in 2006. It's hard for me to even watch an inning nowadays.