1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports] After losing the offseason, Rockets are winning when it counts -- for now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Nov 6, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lock/Merge if necessary...

[rquoter]Kevin Durant stars in an HBO documentary that aired this week, titled, The Offseason. If Daryl Morey had made one of these, it would've been the bloodiest kind of horror movie.

Nothing went right for the Houston Rockets during the 2014 offseason. The plan was fine. The plan was to retain restricted free agent Chandler Parsons and add Chris Bosh -- or, in a long shot, Carmelo Anthony -- to a roster already buttressed by prior acquisitions Dwight Howard and James Harden. Instead, Houston dumped Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik, whiffed on its ambitious free-agent targets, lost Parsons to the rival Mavericks and licked its wounds by signing the well-traveled Trevor Ariza to a three-year, $24.6 million deal.

In a sport of overreactions and wild swings of opinion, it was tempting to bury the Rockets as hopeless pretenders in an otherwise loaded Western Conference. Now, it's equally tempting to praise them as one of the favorites after a surprising 5-0 start. Heading into Thursday night's nationally televised showdown with the defending champion Spurs, the Rockets are second in the league in offensive efficiency, fourth in defensive efficiency and first in 3-point percentage -- led by Ariza's torrid 60-percent clip from beyond the arc (21-for-35).

So on the phone with Morey Wednesday night, I prefaced my curiosity about Houston's surprising start with a one-liner about how, you know, Ariza is not going to be shooting like that over the next 77 games -- an opening that the Rockets' mad-scientist GM didn't miss.

[MORE]

[/rquoter]

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

Trevor Ariza's deal is for 4 years, not 3.

3. Mr Chuck Norris

Best thing, we got Ariza on a frontloaded deal. So he's going to be cheaper and that will give us the chance to add more pieces.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Jesus, shoot me now since Im gonna die eventually anyways...

5. 34_Dreams

34_Dreams New Member

The next 8 games are going to be EXCITING!!!

6. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I didn't like his tone.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

When I saw Ken Butt-Burglar's--er, Berger's--name on the article, I figured it would be even more of a backhanded compliment than the "....for now" headline suggested.

At least the guy is aware we have roster flexibility going forward, that the roster for this season might not be set yet. At the same time, the last note is downbeat; and why couldn't he mention we jack-slapped hot-at-the-time Miami on a back-to-back? It helps feed the ignorant, unwashed readers who think we haven't beat anybody (and Utah just beat beloved Cleveland, so....)

Don't know why everyone is in love with the Mavs. Cuban's media influence must be pretty pervasive. Parsons is good, and I wish he'd gone to, say, Charlotte, but he and Harden were ill-matched: jack up shots, play no D, then go hit the clubs.

8. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Can someone repost Ken Berger's article after Morey and the Rockets signed Dwight? It was like a post ripped directly from lakersground.

No credibility - at all.

9. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Lol why did pick up phone to this bum....

Stick to woj articles morley

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The cat needs to flip his Berger. Parts were a good read, with me nodding my head, but he seemed to dismiss our chances to contend with the present roster, putting us behind, for example, Dallas, which I very much disagree with. Still, it's nice to read positive things about the team, even positive things couched in "However!" ;-)-

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Two teams that won 51 and 49 games a season ago?

That's cute trying to pretend you're unbiased and all, Ken. :rolleyes:

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

More back handed compliments from the media I see.

Guys please just ignore the media and enjoy the team. Since all of he media was down on us before the season, every compliment we get now is skeptical and in reality is a ticking time bomb. They are just waiting for us to hit a speed bump (and we will) then just watch the haters start piling on faster than you can keep up. It's so predictable it's not worth our time. Like I said just enjoy the team and ignore the talking heads.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's not positive if he already has the "I told you so" article written. In fact the entire media does. They want us to fail because that's what they predicted preseason and they can't be wrong. Our early success is kind of rude to them and they don't like that.

14. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

All the major sports networks trying to Jinx the Rockets

15. deshen

deshen Member

The author is objective in this article except the warriors part.

16. deshen

deshen Member

"No," he said, tongue pressing firmly into cheek, "we have a model that says he's going to shoot that way all year."

60% on 3s? LoL on morey.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

An author's objectivity is not determined by how much you agree with the content. :p

18. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

But still can't change the fact our depth is not good.We will not go too far with this depth in west conference.

19. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

It amazes me how the mainstream media glorifies the Warriors and Mavs like we aren't in the same league with them. I mean did he actually write that or am I r****ded and a half? We aren't in the same class and the Warriors or Mavs? Are you high Berger? Done

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Clearly you don't understand sarcasm, and the way Morey uses it.