1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Chris Rock's 'Top Five'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Nov 4, 2014.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

The reviews on this have been incredible. So much so that it's being positioned as an awards contender and not relegated to the niche 'black cinema' Tyler Perry/Steve Harvey/Kevin Heart film ghetto.

I lol'd at the trailer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AxCXz1jRRdk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Wee Bey!

Hard to tell what kind of movie it is from that.

3. 713

713 Member

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Pepsi product placement is annoying.

5. percicles

More so than the Colt 45 and Pabst Blue Ribbon?

6. rudan

rudan Member

y didn't kfc or popeys get on this joint??????

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Middle-aged black guys reminiscing without any political, socioeconomic or criminal subtext. Probably couldn't have done it ten or twenty years ago when black writers and directors were first trying to stand out and then recapitalize on hip hop and gang culture's ascendancy. Also probably couldn't have been financed without the current core of mainstream black celebrities. I like that Rosario isn't too managed to keep doing different types of stuff: Shattered Glass, Clerks 2, et al.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I won't watch anything with Kevin heart in it, so......pass

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Of course, all the reviews from other black people are going to say this movie is good. Find a famous critic in those quotes...

Meh. This is going to be an "I'm Chris Rock and I'm better than all y'all here!" screamfest throughout the entire movie... it seems he's the "star" there and no one can do better than him. It's an SNL black people reunion. I won't watch it... can't stand Chris Rock's complaining voice.

Didn't see Kevin Heart in the preview. :confused:

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Does it have any token white people in it?

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It's always interesting to see what non-blacks think about black entertainment in a free environment.

It seems unlikely that the term ghetto was used coincidentally here but I think Kevin Hart and Tyler Perry would really feel more uncomfortable being lumped together in the same category than the possible link to the ghetto comment. It's as odd as comparing Michael Bay and Dane Cook.

OK, maybe this one isn't so interesting

Do others think that all black people are in constant agreement ?

It's probably even more interesting to me that there is so much black entertainment that caters almost exclusively to black people (in its content) yet is primarily funded and consumed by white people. You would think consumers would force black rappers and comedians to discuss more broad topics but it seems to be quite the opposite. Kevin Hart, for example, was a nobody when he talked mostly about his children and married life. It wasn't until he started talking about his drug abusing father that his career took off with mainstream audiences. Oddly enough, it's often the older black people clamoring for more variety in black entertainment.

1 person likes this.
  12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Rosario Dawson tho! (poor man's Eva Mendes? Meh IDC)

Great to see Weebay too.

13. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

GTFO of here with that LL Cool Jay as his #6. Psssh.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Every other comment out of your mouth is some kind of racially tinged bile. Even in the Tyler job offer thread where you whine about ghetto trash.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If you don't like Chris Rock, just say that; enough people here remember the Penny Hardaway commercials to get the point.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

There was actually some meme a while back about "single girl ghetto," "white girl ghetto" or something else referring to the marginalization of female leads in films to nothing more than love interests. Point being I believe the term has been used in the past, and even while discussing entertainment and movie roles, without any racial undertones. Also I think despite Hart and Perry being on opposite ends of the creative and development spectrum, they still understand how media and marketing analytics factor in race and similarly shape their respective opportunities, appeal and end product.

17. percicles

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jejCmmawzLY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. VanityHalfBlack

Damn, 90% on rotten tomatoes, Has anyone seen this?

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Saw it last weekend. Kind of drug along but it defintely had its parts. The best part is the reference to the City of Houston, of all places. Defintely check it out if you're a fan of Chris Rock. Kevin Hart is in the movie for all of 30 seconds.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Was hoping for more Kevin heart.

May not watch it now.