1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey has been trying to get Rondo/Rubio this month

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Oct 14, 2014.

1. kemah

kemah Member

lol

You said you were done with me. I trusted you. :(

2. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Rubio would be horrible here. If Harden's going to be controlling the ball the whole time, then he's useless. Rubio's one of the top 5 play makers in the NBA, but he'd be horrible off ball.

Rubio would make Lin look like Ray Allen off ball

3. basketballholic

Sooooooooo......you think Morey would bring Rubio here to play off the ball.

Oooooooooooooooookie Doooooooooooooooookie

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Means something to me.

6. basketballholic

I think Rubio will wind up being the best point guard of his generation. But that's just opinion and has nothing to do with the discussion really.

The discussion is about the fact that Morey is/was trying to get him or Rondo. Why? Because they are both very similar players on-court with only minor differences at this point in time. Rondo is the better "finisher" and Rubio is the superior free throw shooter and foul drawer. Every other aspect they are almost identical.

But Rubio is the better fit over Rondo because of:

1. His upcoming restricted free agency status
    2. His youth
    3. His off-court/locker room disposition

7. kemah

kemah Member

lol

I understand the problem now. You are maybe the only person that believes this. I would like to ask a honest question. Do you think others believe this and if so about what percent? I before thought you were being contrarian.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

First of all.... I thought you ignored me. What happened? Just couldnt resist I guess.

Secondly... YOU are the one who has made claims for months now that Rubio will be a "transindent" player
    YOU are the one who saya he has the chance to be the best PG of his generation
    YOU are the one who will argue anyone and everyone on anything to do with defending Ricky Rubios honor.

I swear Dr Jekkle doesn't have jack on Jopatmc. And Mr Hyde is no match for BBhollic.

Maybe you haven't said verbatim that Rubio will solve all the Rockets problems but you sure as hell have implied that Ricky Rubio is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and obviously is going to be something special if the Rockets were to acquire him.

9. checkit

checkit New Member

Im sorry I just cant see either team giving you their pg (especially being their teams' best player at the moment and obvious fan favorites of their teams) with the assets the Rockets have. Need to get a third team in there. So I am not surprised Morey was hung up on.

10. basketballholic

There's probably a very small percentage that believe that. Does that mean I shouldn't believe it just because not very many believe it????????????

LOL

But if I DIDN'T believe this I'd still believe now is an ideal time to try to trade for Rubio because:

1. He might go off cheap
    2. He's an upgrade
    3. He still has upside potential
    4. He's going into restricted free agency and may be pushed into taking the qualifying offer while still developing, which gives the flexibility to play the free agent market in 2016 when Durant is up for grabs.

You could substitute Rondo's name here if Rondo was 23 years old and working on his rookie deal.

You could even substitute a guy like Enes Kanter whom I believe still has untapped potential and is working on his rookie deal headed into restricted free agency and is a possible trade candidate.

11. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

To everyone saying Rubio isn't a good fit:

Look what the rockets have right now

Perimeter defenders? Ariza, Papa, Bev

Three point shooters? Ariza, papa, Bev, daniels, terry, Johnson, harden, DMo(kinda not really)

Post defenders? jones, Dorsey, Adrien, Howard

Post scorers? Jones, Dorsey, adrien, Howard, DMo

Scoring threats? Harden, Ariza, Howard

Playmakers? No one.

We have harden. But we all know he can't make his own shot everytime.

What's the one thing Rubio does better than 95% of the league? Pass the ball. He's an exceptional pass first point guard and would easily set up all our wing and post players. I'm not saying he's better than Rondo. But if the ultimate goal is to get another superstar here (durant) and not give up too much to get a new point guard, Id take Rubio. He's cheaper and we probably wouldn't have to give up as much to get him as we would for rondo.

12. basketballholic

^Nailed it.

1 person likes this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So just to add

Plowman and KingDrew said we were interested in Dragic, Bledsoe, Rondo and Rubio.

Everybody called them frauds, and praise cyberx for being a legit insider (rightfully so), Cyber has no came out and confirmed we are interested in all but Dragic so far... how does this not validate Drew and Plow as legit?

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He will ask for the max as soon as he arrives. Dan Fegan will do everything to cause problems for us.

15. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

I don't think Rubio would be bad, but your list would look much different if he were here. For instance, take Jones off that list, assuming he was part of a deal, and that category doesn't look as solid.

The other piece to it is that Jones, or any of the guys we would have to lose to get him, fill multiple categories you note above. Rubio would fill the playmaker line, that's about it.

Is that enough value to give up what would be required?

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

If Jones, Dorsey, and Adrien qualify as post defenders, then Harden, Ish, Beverley, and Canaan qualify as playmakers.

#236 WinkFan, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I could see Adrien maybe, but certainly not Jones or Dorsey also it's odd to leave DMo off since he's the second best post defender on the team behind Howard.

18. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Rubio is the one that will probably be easier for the Rockets to get. The Timberwolves are on a rebuilding mode. The Pelicans' pick and someone for Rubio will make the deal happen maybe our own 2015 pick too.

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Hmmmm....

Not too high on Rubio... Just an Ish that can pass, but not play defense as well...

I would rather save the money, keep Ish and focus on a PF..

T_Man

20. rockpileindisma

Drew said we were getting dragon like it was a sure thing