1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Simon - #51 - Welcome to the TEXANS

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pariah, Oct 9, 2014.

1. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I am fired up over the Texans signing John Simon from the Ravens. I have been hoping for someone that can consistently help Cushing in our LB Corp, particularly with Clowney out. Simon may be a long-term guy, if we can find the best use for him. IMHO, Simon was a great signing in that we gave up nothing to get him and he was well touted coming into the draft (injury hurt his stock).

I wonder if this signing was due to our injury, or if this pickup is somehow related to Arthur Brown: whether in recent trade discussion (removing depth) or as payback for them jumping us to take Brown one pick prior last year. :)

Either way, here is some information that I found on Simon that I thought I would share:

http://media.cleveland.com/osu_impact/other/John_Simon_Profile-1.pdf

Per the above link:
    "This player has some similar qualities to Kevin Greene, the former Rams/Steelers/
    Panthers’ star that “overachieved” during a 15-year/160-sack NFL career, in that
    both have outstanding upper strength and hands, straight-line acceleration and an
    overwhelmingly competitive nature. If Simon can find the right fit and stay healthy,
    he can enjoy the same kind of success; otherwise, he is still the kind of player and
    personality that would be welcomed to most any NFL team as a Sub pass rusher and
    special teams’ contributor with off-the-chart intangibles.
    In one sentence, he is one of the fiercest competitors in all of college football."

2. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I think they signed him to replace Ricky Sapp, since he got put on IR.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He looks pretty good out there so far
    Seems to be pass rushing mostly. He will lose those snaps next week, though most likely.

4. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I thought that he did well last night. Good spin moves from both sides. I saw him get engulfed by the left and right tackle each, but this young man is a good football player. If I'm not mistaken, there was even one play where it looked like he lined up on the inside. There was the one sack and on another he got "Kamala: the Ugundan Giant Flying Splashed" by a lineman on a QB hurry that might have been another sack. He was getting pretty good pressure, especially considering that he was on the Ravens PS, only three or four days ago.

Great outing, in it, logging his first regular season sack (I think). All in all, I wonder if he can throw or both catch and tuck the ball.. on a route across the middle.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

There was one run the Colts had near the goal line where he split the Tackle and Guard and was held on both sides. I don't understand how CJ was called on that hold last night. It drives me nuts how some of these calls that are holding could be flagged every play. It gives the refs a ton of power to really kill drives.