1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fansided: Ariza #9 / Parsons #7 Small Forwards (2014-2015)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rokman, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rokman

Rokman Member

NBA Power Rankings

9. Trevor Ariza:

2013-14 Stat Line: 77 games, 35.4 MPG, 14.4 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 2.5 APG, 1.6 SPG, .456/.407/.772 shooting, 15.8 PER

The argument can be made for Trevor Ariza at No. 8, but considering his numbers were pretty comparable to our next guy’s stat line and the fact that he was in an ideal situation in the East, his 2014-15 projections take a hit because of the simple fact that the Houston Rockets won’t rely on him quite as much as the Washington Wizards did.

Don’t get me wrong, the Rockets need wing defense more than the Wiz and Ariza will provide that in spades as Chandler Parsons‘ replacement. But Ariza won’t be needed on the boards as much and there will be an adjustment period even though the Rockets probably just need him to knock down corner threes just like he did in Washington.

At 29 years old, Ariza’s about as good as he’s going to get. He’ll provide Houston with veteran experience, terrific defense, three-point shooting and some athleticism attacking the rim. But this team still belongs to James Harden and Dwight Howard, and while Parsons looked like the third cog in the wheel of Houston’s future, Ariza still feels like a prominent role player more than anything else. Still, anybody that can lock down opposing wings and shoot 40 percent from downtown in this league is more than deserving of a top 10 spot here.

7. Chandler Parsons:

2013-14 Stat Line: 74 games, 37.6 MPG, 16.6 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 4.0 APG, 1.2 SPG, .472/.370/.742 shooting, 15.9 PER

And now we come to one of my favorite Basketball Twitter arguments of the summer: Chandler Parsons or Gordon Hayward? Both probably received contracts worth more than their real value, both are underrated athletic white guy wings, and both are competing for a roster spot on Team USA this summer. In a vacuum, I’d probably pick Parsons because he’s a superior three-point shooter, but we’re going to stick him here at No. 7 because we have to factor in the teams these two play for and what role they play.

Just like his time with the Houston Rockets, Parsons will once again be the third option on offense with the Dallas Mavericks behind Dirk Nowitzki and Monta Ellis. I’m sure Parsons will have no problem with that, especially since the Mavs quietly had one of the best offseasons in the NBA to position themselves for another playoff run. That being said, as impressive as it is that Parsons has increased his scoring, rebounding and assist numbers every season he’s been in the league, he won’t quite get the opportunity to really spread his wings in Dallas.

That’s probably for the best, because a team with Chandler Parsons as its best or second best player isn’t a real contender. The Mavs are hoping that adding Parsons to the mix gives them more perimeter shooting and an athletic wing who can attack the rim and finish at the basket. Parsons certainly provides those things, though his wing defense still needs a little work. Switch Parsons and Hayward and we might have a different argument here, but for now, we have to factor in Parsons’ limited role compared to Hayward’s leadership responsibilities with the Utah Jazz.

- Gerald Bourguet

BOLDED - Now this guy speaks to my heart!

2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Parsons is offended.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4. Rokman

Rokman Member

1 person likes this.
  5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

if they don't think we don't need help on the boards, clearly he hasn't watched the amazing rebounding we were getting out of our power forwards, offensive rebounding we were good, but defensively, we sucked.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I would put Parsons above Hayward.

Still swapping #6 for #9 at half the price isn't bad at all, just sucks that Ariza has sooo many more miles on his body then Parsons.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Enough with the Parsons stuff already, geez. Get off his d**k.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

batum at 8, parsons and hayward at 6 and 7? have to ask, is the author white?

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i always thought parsons was the best small forward in the league :(

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Ariza was a great addition. People do not understand how significant it was to pick up a player with his experience and his skill set. Keeping Parsons too would have been great but we needed a player like Ariza to get to the next round. He is a sharp shooter from the three point line, his defense, and his ability to pass and work with a big man like Dwight is something we lacked last year. Ariza will make this team better and put us one step closer to our title hopes.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nah, according to this list Chandler was right and he was the best SF in that playoff series, ranked higher than Batum

but we know better

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Someone tweet this link to Parsons. I want to see him offended

13. photojoe

photojoe Member

How many times has it been said.... That is exactly what we need. For half the price of Parsons. With room to add and improve the roster in other ways as well.

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I wish we'd have had Ariza last season instead of Parsons.

I never really got the hype tbh. He was an ok player, but I always thought he was a bit overrated.

I was happy he went to Dallas on that contract.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.