1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cleveland Cavaliers complete five player trade with Boston Celtics

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thejav, Sep 25, 2014.

1. thejav

thejav Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cleveland-cavaliers-complete-five-player-003913800.html

ESPN sources say that the Cavs are in process of trading for Boston's Keith Bogans
    — Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) September 25, 2014

Sources say Cavs are expected to package their three non-guaranteed deals (Erik Murphy, John Lucas and Malcolm Thomas) in trade for KBogans
    — Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) September 25, 2014

Can confirm @ESPNSteinLine report #Cavs are acquiring Keith Bogans from Boston.
    — Jason Lloyd (@JasonLloydABJ) September 25, 2014

KIETH BOGANS IS A CAVALIER.

Here is the final tally:

#Cavs send Erik Murphy, Malcolm Thomas, John Lucas III, Dwight Powell and 2nd round picks in '16 and '17 to Celtics in exchange for Bogans
    — Jason Lloyd (@JasonLloydABJ) September 26, 2014

Why? You ask? What is his role?

Basically, he is a contract. A nice contract, sorta. Apparently next year he has a nice fat non-guaranteed number

Bogans and Haywood are a combined $16,035,935 in completely unguaranteed contract next offseason. That's why.
    — Mark Deeks (@MarkDeeksNBA) September 25, 2014

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Title correction:

"Cleveland Cavaliers complete a five asset trade with Boston Celtics.

1 person likes this.
  3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, Bogans is ALREADY non-guaranteed. The Cavs can either use his non-guaranteed contract between now and early January, or they can hold onto him and then trade him next summer when his non-guaranteed 2015-16 salary kicks in.

4. akeemshook

akeemshook Member

That team with the better Gasol is unstoppable.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How old is Bogans again? When he was with JVG he was already 26

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>ESPN sources say Cavs have agreed to trade newly acquired Keith Bogans to Philly</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/515919325719691264">September 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources say Cavs will send a future second-round pick to Philly and create a $5.3 million trade exception in the process</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/515919706654773248">September 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[​IMG]

#6 J.R., Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  7. gah

gah Member

And we got 2 for Terry

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I am a bit lost.

Cavs give up 3 2nds to get and then immediately ditch Bogans?

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

The sum of the three players the Cavs traded to the Celtics would have generated a 3.4M TPE in a two way trade with Philly.

By trading for Bogans they've generated a 5.3M TPE instead.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Colour me still confused on this!

The first bit i kind of get. They make a move to turn 3 salaries into 1, and have a 5.3m tradeable piece - who happens to be unguaranteed. Sweet.

It is the trade with Philly, sure, it is a TPE, so they can just absorb someone without sending a player back, but is it really worth a 2nd round pick to do it? They could have just traded Bogans unguaranteed contract anyway, it works in almost the same fashion, possibly just a bit better.

I just cannot see why a TPE has enough value to give ip a 3rd 2nd rounder....

11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Most likely, the Sixers were the only team willing to take on the Bogans contract at that low a price. Other teams with the cap room to absorb that contract without sending back salary (PHX, UTH, ORL?) may not have wanted to help the Cavs or were asking for more.

Also, if you REALLY want to know the true cost to Cleveland to get that $5.3M trade exception, it was a grand total of six -- count 'em, SIX -- second round picks (plus cash), in:

2013 (Carrick Felix - traded to Utah for the JLIII/Thomas/Murphy non-guaranteed contracts)
    2014 (Dwight Powell - traded to Boston for Bogans)
    2015 (traded to Utah for the JLIII/Thomas/Murphy non-guaranteed contracts)
    2016 (traded, with JLIII/Thomas/Murphy, to Boston for Bogans)
    2017 (traded, with JLIII/Thomas/Murphy, to Boston for Bogans)
    2018 (traded, with Bogans, to Philly for the $5.3M TPE)

Seems like an awful lot to give up just for mid-sized TPE. I get that this series of moves may have been their best/only way to get it; but that price just seems too high to me.

12. kayc

kayc Member

Maybe to sign Ray Allen?

13. baubo

baubo Member

Three 2nd rounders just seem high because the Rockets have hit their fair share of them. But those were fairly high picks and the Cavs will have picks in the 50s, and most teams don't have nearly the track record on those picks. Plus they'll have plenty of ring chasers in the meantime to fill the bench.

But it just feels like they're doing a lot of nothing after all these moves. What kind of a player can you get for a $5mil TE anyway?

14. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

2nd round picks are worthless. Rarely do any pan out.

15. BleedRocketsRed

Great move by the Cavs. Basically got a TPE for free.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I would wager that more 2nd picks pan out than TPEs that actually get used....

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You can't use the TPE to sign him. You need someone else to sign him, and trade him to you.

So, in essence, they could have just traded the non-guaranteed contract instead of the TPE, and paid the 2nd round pick to the team doing the S&T... (is it the Heat?)

Just so I'm clear: I totally understand the benefit of having a TPE, but I can't see how it is more beneficial than a non-guaranteed contract. Bogans doesn't expire for 3 years, so they could have just held him, and used their pick as sweetner in any deal. The sole benefit to the TPE is that it doesn't occupy a roster spot, but if bringing a player in, someone would have to be cut anyway, so it 'sort of' requires a roster spot... And anyway, the Cavs are currently at 13.

And Bima: I get it from Phillies perspective - they get a pick. I just don't get why the Cavs flipped him on? Why do they want a TPE so badly that they paid 3 (6!?!) picks. Couldn't they at least have saved one, and just used Bogans as the 'TPE'... (they could have also packaged him).

18. BleedRocketsRed

Why pay Bogans $5.3M if you have no intention of using him? You only lose worthless picks to get him off the books while being able to use his salary in a trade.

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

The Cavs were over the tax threshold with Bogans. Dealing him for the TPE dropped them back below the tax threshold. This way, if no deal emerges for that extra rotation big they'd like to be able to trade for, at least they're not also paying luxury tax.

20. daytripper

daytripper Member

Six 2nd round picks doesn't tell the real story though.

Carrick Felix was picked by the last GM and had disappointed in two summer leagues. I doubt if the Cavs wanted him taking a roster spot.

Powell was a throw in from Charlotte on that draft day Haywood deal. He looked looked really bad in summer league.

The 2nd round picks from 2015-2108 could very likely be in the late 50's. There have been more UDFA success stories than players taken that late in the 2nd round. We're not talking about that sweet spot in the 2nd round where Morey has had success.

I think they traded some very, very minor assets for a potentially more valuable asset..not to mention, for the time being, got themselves out from under the luxury tax.