1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry: Things were a lot stricter with McHale than with Rick.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Sep 23, 2014.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Full article here:

http://grantland.com/features/kyle-lowry-nba-toronto-raptors-villanova-wildcats-houston-rockets-memphis-grizzlies-demar-derozan-rudy-gay/

2. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

In hindsight, could we have gotten Kyle Lowry and Trevor Ariza (in terms of cap space and outright matching Toronto's offer)? It's sad to go over missed opportunity, but an interesting 'what if'

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Kelvin Sampson, one of McHale’s assistants, said Lowry never accepted the change. “It’s important for him to chase conflicts,” Sampson said. “Conflicts don’t bother him. One of the things that make coaches and players great is they’re not afraid of confrontation. Not everybody can coach a confrontational player. You have to know how to coach Kyle, but you have to make sure Kyle knows who the boss is. Kyle is never going to conform and be the first guy in the class, sitting in the first row and never take his eye off the teacher. Kyle, in his own way, will figure out how to get an A in the class, though. He’s just not going to do it the conventional way.

“I don’t think Kevin had anything to do with it,” Sampson continued. “I think it was the coach that replaced Adelman. That could have been Doc Rivers. That could have been Jeff Hornacek. Whoever replaced Rick was going to go through a transitional period with Kyle because Kyle’s very opinionated. He has his way of doing things and he’s one of those guys*—*he’s going to give it to you and you’ve got to find a way to give it back in a way that he’ll respect you.”​

Kelvin Sampson seems to be saying that Lowry has a little African in him.

4. alethios

alethios Member

Danny Ferry approves this message.

5. onreego

onreego Member

But I thought the coaches before held people accountable unlike the current ones said the people who think they're in the front office and on the court 24/7.

I will admit McHale has been a bit too lenient with James. I remember when he used to bench Kevin Martin for his atrocious D.

6. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Strict does not equal discipline

7. onreego

onreego Member

I can see what you mean. What are your opinions on what Kyle could be referring to when using the word "strict"?

8. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

So once again Mchale haters need to step back and consider how actal players view him and Houston

The zeason is refreshex why not throw your bias out with the trash and at least Try to let go a little

Kyle lowery did !

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Kevin Martin was never the caliber player Harden is.

10. alethios

alethios Member

In the end, Kyle got his payday and the chance to cement his role as alpha dog on a team that may be stuck in perpetual 1st-round exit mode. His chances of getting a championship would have been better here.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

B-b-b-but Bruce Bowen said...

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Who knew how many Bruce Bowen tip riders were Rockets fans? I always hated the guy, and I don't think he's very intelligent either. Must be the bow tie that makes people think he's a genius.

CF <3 Bruce Bowen. Things ain't what they used to be.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Logical fallacy:

I hate that guy. Therefore, whatever he says must be wrong.

1 person likes this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yes, he is real strict with Harden and ball movement

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Practice your reading skills. Start by reading your sig.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You can dislike Bruce Bowen, and also doubt Kevin McHale. Your brain can handle it. I promise.

1 person likes this.
  17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

We probably could have since the Ariza deal ended up being a sign a trade for Asik, but it would have been tough to create 14 million without the Asik contract. We probably would of had to trade more pieces away like DMo, and other contracts to make room.

During the time, I was thinking of a possible Lowry for Lin + filler trade, if Lowry was dead set on coming to Houston. Toronto loves Lin and he could have been good stop gap for the Raptors if Lowry left.

I miss Lowry. He just never game up on a game. I remember so many games we would be down by 20 in the 4th quarter and he would play the garbage minutes and get up to within 5. A Lowry-Harden backcourt is damn scary.

Wasn't meant to be.

18. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

I have to agree. If he really wanted to WIN and be on a Contender he would of came back to the Rox Box :mad: The likelihood of the Raptors becoming Contenders in the next couple of years are like Raptors roaming planet earth today :grin:

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Logical fallacy #2:

I hate that guy, and I don't think he is very intelligent. Therefore, whatever he says must be wrong.

20. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

Love this quote about him