1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Bargain-bin shopping: Where Rockets may fit with remaining free agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Aug 6, 2014.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

First. Great Read.

Allen, Marion and Okafor would turn our bench of zero experience to a veteran bench. Still would not address back up PG but I would settle for that.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'd be thrilled with Marion and Sessions. Perhaps we can snag 'Shard once he recovers

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Good read but geeze is it slim pickins.

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Players left are just fillers for 1 season. We not going anywhere this season. Save it for next year.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Great analysis, I really enjoyed it.

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Question:

I thought we couldn't offer a contract with options unless there were two guaranteed years? I read that in the "Paging CyberseX" thread. Is this not true?

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the write-up, but damn, it's not very encouraging. Allen, Marion and Bledsoe all sound like long-shots, and everyone else listed there is ho-hum.

I really wish there was a veteran FA PG we could get. Sessions is the best of the bunch left, but I'd prefer a guy to get minutes at PG who has playoff or championship experience.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

Marion is the only one that makes sense to me. As Clutch pointed out, back up wing was a big problem for us this year. With Marion, we'd be able to play small ball and not get killed on the defensive end.

I think if we offer him the rest of our MLE ($4.8 million), a partial guarantee for next season at the vet minimum ($1.4), and a prominent role on this team, he should be ours. IMO, that would leave us 2 significant upgrades away from contending.

? / Beverley
    Harden / Daniels
    Ariza / Marion
    ? / Marion
    Howard / Okafor or Dorsey

Everyone and everything else could be used to upgrade at PG and PF.

2015 NOP 1st
    2015 NYK 2nd
    2015 MIN/DEN 2nd
    2017 HOU 1st
    Terrence Jones
    Donatas Motiejunas
    Clint Capela
    Isaiah Canaan
    Nick Johnson
    Rights to Papanikolaou
    Rights to Gentile
    Rights to Sergio Llull

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Another great read, The Cat. As several have said, what slim pickings! It's why I keep expecting Morey to either make a play for a restricted free agent, or what's more unlikely, in my opinion, doing a deal to acquire one, or acquire someone who can opt out next summer, and his team wants to get something for him before he does it. Still, we could do worse than getting Allen and Marion with the remainder of the MLE and the BAE, or vet minimum. We could use some veterans on the bench who have been there and can still contribute in a limited role.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ray Allen
    Elton Brand
    Chris Douglas-Roberts
    Rashard Lewis
    Shawn Marion
    Byron Mullens
    Greg Oden
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Ramon Sessions
    Ekpe Udoh

Others(of no interest):
    Gustavo Ayon
    Leandro Barbosa
    Michael Beasley
    Chauncey Billups
    Andray Blatche
    Shannon Brown
    Rasual Butler
    Jordan Crawford
    Dante Cunningham
    Toney Douglas
    Francisco Garcia
    Jordan Hamilton
    Al Harrington
    Ryan Hollins
    Kenyon Martin
    Jason Maxiell
    Nazr Mohammed
    Toure Murry
    Emeka Okafor
    Chris Singleton
    Hedo Turkoglu
    Charlie Villanueva
    D.J. White

12. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Morey with his flexibility crap, just sign some good players already!

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Thanks. I didn't want to speculate too much in the article itself, but I really think the ideal scenario for the Rockets would be getting both Allen and Sessions, and it's not impossible. I do think the Rockets are the team that makes the most sense for Allen, if he plays, and it doesn't sound like there's too much interest around the league in Sessions. My guess is that the Rockets have most of their remaining MLE earmarked for Allen, the BAE for Sessions, but Ramon is stalling in hopes of getting a chunk of the MLE (if Allen rejects Houston) or a bigger offer from a different team.

The one thing that's stood out to me in recent days is that it doesn't feel like the Rockets want Marion very much. I'll admit that I was initially drawn to him as an ideal veteran "name guy" for the bench, but when you think about it, I just don't know about the fit. With Ariza in place, the defensive need isn't as big as it once appeared. It's not irrelevant, of course, but you also want your SF to have range and quickness. Marion hasn't been a range shooter in a while, and his quickness is on the decline. At this point in his career, he's probably most valuable as a stretch 4... but if you take the names out of play and simply look at the data, I could see a case for having more confidence in Jeff Adrien than Shawn Marion. It's not an open-and-shut case, but enough that you may prioritize other needs, first.

I'd still take Marion as a back-up plan, of course. Depth always helps. But the more I think about it, the more I understand why the Rockets seem to be targeting other needs before him.

(All that said, it would be really helpful to the Rockets if Allen would make up his mind sooner rather than later. Feels like some of the "backup plan" guys, like Marion, are starting to get antsy.)

14. anchel

anchel Member

Wouldn't mind Mohammed as veteran backup center for vet min.

We spoke about Beasley in another thread. The matter is, he would fit better this year than last year. Last year almost every player at the rotation was able to score. We needed other things. This year, without Chandler, without Jeremy, the team would welcome Beasley's scoring talent. If he's fine signing one year, could be interesting. Like I said, we're going to need scoring off the bench, badly.

15. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Geez... aside from the Ariza signing, which was really just a Parsons replacement, it certainly is quite a letdown going from this...
    ... to bargain-bin free-agent shopping. Man, talk about lowering your expectations :(

I would like to see Allen sign here, though. With as many three's as this team takes, I would think that having a reliable 3-pt shooter is vital.

Thanks for the write-up Mr. DuBose

16. izeroi

izeroi Member

We won't get any of those players listed in that article except Garcia. Just wait and see.

17. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

No way, we're so messed up, not even Garcia wants to return.

18. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

I just don't see Allen being here. At the minimum, he would want a team that have a chance to make it to the conference finals. Unless we have Bledsoe (which I don't believe we have a chance to get or agree we should sign him), does anyone seriously think that by added Allen & others we would have a chance to reach that?

Session would be a good pickup, but with that history of his, I'm sure someone will offer him something that is better than what Morey has to offer.

Sigh....

19. conquistador#11

i was able to find a roberto clemente sewn jersey at a thrift shop, so bargain shopping at the bin has its upsides. I just have to see it to believe it first. No doubt marion or ray allen mesh nicely with dwight howard's game.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Excellent Read

Rocket River