1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you think Yao Ming would have fared in today's game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by giordun, Aug 3, 2014.

1. giordun

giordun Member

Yao is only 33 (wow)

Other great Centers at age 33 (P/R/A/B/S, FG%)

David Robinson - 15.8/10.0/2.1/2.4/1.4, 50.9%

Hakeem - 26.9/10.9/3.6/2.9/1.6, 51.4%

Kareem - 26.2/10.3/3.4/2.9/0.7, 57.4%

Pat Ewing - 22.5/10.6/2.1/2.4/0.9, 46.6%

Sabonis (Interestingly his best year in the NBA) - 16.0/10.0/3.0/1.1/0.9. 49.3%

Think about how Centers are constantly being pulled late game, even DeAndre Jordan, probably the most mobile and athletic center in the game.

How do you think Yao would have done? Adopt more of a passing role similar to Noah? Do you think he would have developed his range out to three point range? I think his mid range jump shot usage would definitely shoot up. He would be unstoppable in the low post against today's competition - Yao's the type of guy I think NBA teams would sign a crummy big body for. Now that there are no big Centers you don't give those guys jobs.

Any predictions for stat lines? How Morey may have built around Yao with his analytics focus? Give this your best shot.

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Not fronted: 30 and 10, superstar numbers

Fronted: 10 and 5, invisible

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Dude he played 3 years ago.

4. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Jordan cant hit freethrows.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

He'd suck and reminisce on the good days of when he played in the early 80's.

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

He'd be a "pay cut" kinda guy. He sure as hell wouldn't sign with the Mavs for 15 mil.

2 people like this.
  7. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

If Yao was still playing right now, he would be the dominate center in the NBA.

8. Normalus

Normalus Member

if not injury prone, i can see him with double double in 20-25 minutes

9. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

This post isn't directed at you, but directed at those who detract from Yao as a player because he was neutralized by fronting defenses. I agree that Yao would have fared better against fronting if he was more agile and athletic, but overall I don't think the issue is as damning as some of us fans take it. The purpose of the fronting defense is to neutralize an effective post player and it works no matter the player, some better than others. As Rockets fans, we should all know that even the GOAT Hakeem struggled against Seattles fronting defense. That team was our LA clippers of current day. We couldn't beat them til we got Barkley. Why? Because he made them pay when the Sonics fronted Hakeem.

To beat a fronting defense you need two main things. One is great entry passing which the Rockets never had outside of Tmac and battier. Yao also never made it easier with his smaller catching radius due to his injuries. Second is the surrounding cast. You need players that can take advantage of a defense that is solely committed to stopping the post player by crashing the offensive boards or slashing to the basket on the weak side. Yao also never had that type of supporting cast. We all know how poor the depth was until 2008. That was Yao's best year IMO. Remember when Portland starting fronting Yao? Players like Brooks and Scola feasted. Bottom line, Yao was less effective when fronted but even the true greats were also. Big factors are entry passing and an effective surrounding cast, so it's not all Yao's fault. Indeed it was an issue but not as tremendous as some of us make it to be. /endrant

5 people like this.
  10. Garner

Garner Member

It's hard to say. The game has evolved so much since Yao last played. Doubt he would have been able to get meaningful minutes.

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

This.

Everyone Yao played against is either dead or retired. You can't compare eras.

12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

He would have fared the same as he did when he was playing.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He should still be the best center in the NBA, there still are not any centers with his offensive skill set.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hard to say.

Completely different era.

The game isn't even the same anymore.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

He would make a terrible stretch 4.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He would be the best stretch four ever.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I think it was his combination of size and offensive prowess that made Yao the best Center. He was not a particularly great defender or rebounder but he always possessed the ability to impact the game. Teams would be forced to adjust to HIM. That's what made him unique and that's why I think he'd be just as effective today.

18. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Yao Ming would be scoring 26.5 pts and 9.9 rebounds!!!! He'd still be an all-star starter, and the Rockets would not have Howard on the team.

I think by now the Rockets would have been at least to the Finals twice in the last 3 years. Yao Ming was making great strides to improve tremendously when he got injured.

He was on the verge of going above a star in the all-star level!!! I'm talking elite HOF level.

But what could have been!!!! :(

1 person likes this.
  19. conquistador#11

back in 1947 when yao had his first shoe deal with converse, he was tearing it up, inside/outside. then they had to change the rules, allowing players to front yao and deny him the ball. he was that good. you can catch silent film footage. youtube might have some technicolor footage.

20. jameswade718

jameswade718 Member

18 year old yao ming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wg8I8qCHmg

Just thought I would share since I watched alot of Yao Ming interviews but first time seeing this. Crazy how in the interview he says his favorite player is Hakeem Olajuwon.