1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons: Carlisle and Cuban view me as a star and a franchise-max player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 13, 2014.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he would want to average a lot more than he did this season

2. traveler

traveler Member

Parsons is a good player but not a max player...yet. He needed to make another jump to reach that level. This next contract should have been where he shows he can make a leap to a max. Dallas overpaid and made themselves weaker.

3. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

This is the cycle of most players...

Players also go up a few levels with a change of environment--Steve Nash--when he went from Dallas to Phoenix. Although he had a couple elite skills (shooting, passing). Parsons is above average in multiple categories but isn't elite...

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think the results last year spoke volumes about what our so called stars really brings. Whatever we had last year did not work. There were glaring errors everywhere and overpaying parsons wasn't gonna a change any of that. I think its better to lack confidence in harden and Howard than be delusional enough to believe next season will somehow be different by paying Parsons the max.

2 people like this.
  5. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Here's a recent draftexpress video that does a good job imo, breaking down his strengths and weaknesses:

[youtube]Mp8BhA8khvI[/youtube]

The thing is, I don't think he's a max player, but I don't know for sure if he can become a star or not over there. He lacks elite explosiveness or a super quick first step and has trouble creating for himself in isolations or off the dribble. Those are all things true traditional max players can do the majority of with a few exceptions.

He'll also be playing at a slower pace, have less transition buckets and more emphasis on half court offense. Dirk and Ellis will help as he can be 3rd wheel again.

The only thing is if he can develop a post game or defense with Carlise. I'm thinking a good borderline all star player in the AK, Shawn Marion class (not skillset) is where he'll probably be. Saying he's a true max star is an overpay in all likelihood but you never know unfortunately.

6. verysimplejason

They have Carlisle. That should be enough reason Parsons will be a lot better.

7. arjun

arjun Member

I'm really tired of the whole Carlisle angle. Yes he's a good coach, but he's been pretty bad at developing players since he's been in dallas.

He may use parsons in smart ways, but to say that parsons will get much better as a bball plaher in dallas vs in Houston where we have a record of developing players....is blasphemy

1 person likes this.
  8. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Just got off the phone with Rick Carlisle, who said he plans on playing Chandler Parsons everywhere from point guard to power forward.</p>&mdash; Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon) <a href="https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/statuses/488564856480858112">July 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cuban invested in potential actually.

Max money would normally equal 20+ 6-7 rbs and 5 assists

Fair enough: near max: 19 pts 6 and 5 is alright

The thing is I don't think he is that kind of player that is a consistent 20 points player..... I could be wrong but that would make him the best 2nd round player of the decade or in history.

He is far away and watching him say he is a star now or in near future, makes me think he has lost a lot of his humility, integrity.

He is not much better than Ariza... 10-11.5 million tops.
    They just overpay white players this offseason.. just look at Gordon Hayward. Absolutely disgusting.

The best second rounder so far was Ginobili (Correct me) and he was not averaging 20 points most of the time.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is doing extremely well for a 2nd rounder. That is for sure.

Ceiling: Borderline allstar to 1 or 2 time allstar reserve at best (when I am high) and I am not that high on him

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Carlisle will make him better on Defense but he is not an offensive guru like PJax or Pop....

12. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Good luck to parons but we made the right choice letting him walk. he won't be a priority out in dallas because he's not consistent. remember that long drought he's had the past 2 seaons of those long streak of games where he played like complete crap? We overlooked it because we had lins crappy play and caspi to sort of shadow it. but if you think back you can't have a main star like that and try to treat him as a priority. it's going to have the same outcome as lin.

I guarantee you Dallas fans are going to be pissed once he starts having slumps knowing they paid all this money for him. He's going to be their version of jeremy lin i'm predicting.

13. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

he's an egoistic superstar wannabe..

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If we are being realistic, perhaps last year should cause us to evaluate whether the Howard/Harden pairing is worth sticking or if we should explore options that may give the Rockets a better chance of building a contender-- like trading Harden for Love.

If it is "delusional" to think that you can win with Howard and Harden by retaining Parsons, adding Ariza and others talent via TPE, MLE, BAE, etc., then is it not also "delusional" to stick to two inadequate "stars" and believe that you can somehow win it all by chasing down some elite free agent after creating "flexibility" when flexibility got you nothing this summer?

I don't remember Morey acting this way with McGrady and Yao-- he didn't scramble for "flexibility" all over the place, but instead added guys like Battier, Artest, and Scola in support of them. Didn't work out due to the injuries to first McGrady then Yao, but that 2009 team was genuinely talented.

Also, look at the two other teams in Texas:

The Mavs had 3 1st round exits and a 2nd round exit in year 3 during the 4 years preceding their title year in 2011, they didn't make some mad scramble for flexibility and chase down some hot free agent to become champions, instead, they made low-cost additions in Tyson Chandler (then unwanted by Charlotte) and Peja Stojakovic and mostly kept the talent they accumulated in the years past.

The Spurs, too, had 2 1st round exits and a 2nd round exit in between during the 3 years before first almost winning the title and then actually winning. They didn't chase down some hot free agent to go from 1st round exit to contender, but instead relied on their core, internal growth and a few smart additions (like Boris Diaw, incidentally also unwanted by Charlotte).

#134 Carl Herrera, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So basically Carlisle has no plans because he's still shocked that he ended up with Parsons as his max contract player?
    And Cubes is talking him up, well, because of a 15% trade kicker...

16. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Lol.

Basically he is their glue guy.

:grin:

17. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

Its amazing how Rocket Fans seem to unleash vitriol on players like Parsons. He got an offer from Dallas, the Rockets let him go. Whose fault is it that Parson's is gone?

18. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

They have no idea. Chandler better start working on that flat shot.

19. jose

jose Member

guys why are you wishing ill will on Parsons? if someone offered you an "over-pay" what are you supposed to do, not sign it? clearly the Mavs think higher of him than the Rockets do if they didn't match. Parsons even thanked Morey on the way out.

20. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

They are upset the guy who was underpaid for 4 years, accepted a deal that is above his true value.

It is easier to hate Parsons than it is to accept the direction Morey is taking us.

1 person likes this.