1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The player nobody is talking about: Paul Millsap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Jul 11, 2014.

?

Would you trade for Paul Millsap

1. Yes

78.6%
  2. No

11.9%
  3. Undecided

9.4%
  1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Before you guys automatically say no because he isn't a flashy name, hear me out:

Paul Millsap is one of the most underrated players in the entire league. HE is an advanced stats all-star, (Technically actual all-star also).

Why would Atlanta trade him?

He's a free agent after this season, and they are already invested in Al Horford for the future. They need/want a center, and there is no way they commit long term to a Horford + Millsap front-court.

I guarantee you they will look to trade him sometime this season for:

Prospects to keep them competitive (Atlanta Hawks definition anyway) + ability to maintain future flexibility + Future assets.

It wouldn't cost as much for a Love trade would and it would maintain a very strong starting five of Patrick Beverly, James Harden, Chandler Parsons, Paul Millsap, Dwight Howard.

What would it take?

Terrence Jones (Poor mans Paul Millsap) and one of Clint Capella/NOP pick (they would probably want the pick)

A lot of you are obsessed with keeping a potential lottery pick, but if that's what it takes to get the probably missing piece for a championship run you have to do it .

Rockets have a 3 year window with Dwight Howard left, and they need to maximize every year of it.

Paul Millsap:
    - Great two way player
    - Can stretch the floor somewhat (36% from 3. probably 38% on this team)
    - Excellent rebounder
    - Clutch
    - Playoff experience

He isn't the flashy name you guys want, but he is the player that would help this team in many ways on defense. Remember, Rockets were a top 10 defensive team for much of the season with defensive juggernauts in James Harden and Terrence Jones.

Paul Millsap has the strength and intelligence to guard the PFs in the west, and make them play defense.

What do you guys think?

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Most here myself included would love Paul. But its a pipe dream

3. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I'd love to have milsap but Atlanta isn't trading him. ESP after last seasons performance.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

At this point, why not. We need some new talent.

5. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Yes I wouldn't see ATL trading him though till at least the tread deadline

6. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

That NOP pick is awful valuable...don't know that I would include it in a trade for Millsap, I feel like we could get more value elsewhere

7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Why wouldn't they? He's a free agent this upcoming season, and there is no way they commit long term to a Millsap + Horford frontcourt of the future. They have wanted a true center next to Horford for a while now, and they will probably trade Millsap for something to keep financial flexibility, young players, and remain somewhat competitive.

8. BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA

I'd take Millsap at 4 years/$50 million over getting Bosh at the max, easily.

9. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

It's valuable, but Rockets don't have the assets outside of it to make a very strong offer for another star.

And if we were to use it, that player won't develop for sometime which chunks off even more of the Rockets contention window with Dwight.

Millsap is a 2nd tier power forward that fits the exact needs the Rockets need at PF.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If we could actually get him, I'd be thrilled, but as others have said, why would Atlanta give him up for Jones and the NOLA pick?

12. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

ATL ain't trading.

13. Swishh

Swishh Member

Because he's an expiring contract, and will be looking for a big deal next summer. That, and the Hawks don't seem too intrigued about keeping him since they were rumored to have offered Gasol 11m per year. Gasol/Horford would be the (obvious) frontcourt, which leaves Millsap as the odd man out.

14. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

We were talking about trying to trade Asik for him so horford could move back to the 4. I think the asking price then was Asik + jones and maybe then some. If milsap was on the market I don't think we have what they want any longer.

15. newAge_Rockets

I would LOVE Millsap, I just don't think ATL will trade him. T Jones and the NOP pick would be a great haul for them though. I would think Paul Millsap is option 1, Anderson is option 2, and Josh Smith is option 3.

16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

At that time I could see their asking price being higher since Horford was out for the season. Remember this team is like the Houston team trying to remain competitive. They now have one more year left with the guy and I highly doubt they are too enthusiastic bringing him back after this next season.

They get a poor mans Millsap in Jones who can fill the spot decently and they won't have to worry about long-term commitment to him.

The NOP pick is probable lottery which they can use as an asset for a trade for a star, or just another young player.

Remember, we can also trade Clint Capella who has a lot of potential and is a center. They are running Pero Antic out there after all

17. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Well then, lay the effing pipe morray!

18. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I think just about everyone is talking about him. Probably the 2nd most ideal fit for us at the 4 after Bosh.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

same here. one of the few moves that redeem this catastrophe of this off-season.

20. lr22

lr22 Member

Nobody talking bout Milsap cuz he's not available.