1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who we should/shouldn't target this Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Sen89, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Go After These Guys:

1. Adreian Payne | PF/C | 6’10” 239; 7’4” wingspan | Michigan State | 23
    Payne is older than most prospects, but he's one of the most well-rounded bigs available. He's got size, length, underrated athleticism (see: CBB dunk contest), and great range on his J. He's a capable defender with solid shot blocking instincts too. He's not the most physical rebounder, but otherwise he'd be a near ideal fit next to Dwight.
    How to get him: Trade into the #13 to #18 range.

2. Marcus Smart | SG/PG | 6’3” 227; 6’8” wingspan | Oklahoma State | 20
    Smart is not a true point, but he's a big, strong, fiery guard who can defend both spots and make plays on O. He's a shaky shooter, but his J isn't broken, and his shot-selection would improve playing next to Harden. He brings a lot of the intangibles that Beverley brings, but with some star upside in a much bigger package.
    How to get him: Trade into the #5 to #7 range.

3. K.J. McDaniels | SF/SG | 6’6” 196; 6’11” wingspan | Clemson | 21
    McDaniels was off the radar because he played for a bad team, but he brings lots of athleticism and intangibles to the table. He's an impact defender (2.7 BPG from the wing), and an athletic finisher. He's not a great shooter or shot-creator, but he's a swing-man who can bring D and fill-in for Harden or Parsons.
    How to get him: May be available with our #25 pick. Maybe move up a few picks.

4. Jusuf Nurkic | C/C | 6’11” 270*; 7’2”* wingspan | Bosnia | 19
    Nurkic isn't well-known by most, but he's produced at a high level in every league he's played in. He's a big, mobile body with impressive touch for his age/size. He's not a big time shot-blocker, but his upside on offense makes him an enticing possibility as a future C behind Dwight.
    How to get him: Trade into the #11 to #17 range.

5. Patric Young | C/PF | 6’10” 247; 7’2” wingspan | Florida | 22
    Young, like Payne is an established college prospect. But he's incredibly different in that he's a defense-first prospect. He's strong, fundamentally-sound (on D) and a good athlete, making him tough to score on down low from either big spot. Offensively he's not inept, but he won't score outside of 10 feet. He's the type of established big that could be useful right away for us.
    How to get him: Move up to the early 2nd, or move down to the late-1st.

6. Fuquan Edwin | SG/SF | 6’6” 207; 6’8” wingspan | Seton Hall | 22
    Edwin is the quintessential DTA prospect, but is seen as a 2nd rounder due to his age/lack of perceived upside. He has a smooth stroke, is a solid athlete, and has proven himself to be a strong defender with some ball-hawk ability (2.6 SPG).
    How to get him: Could/Should be available with our #42 pick.

7. Glenn Robinson III | SF/SG | 6’7” 211; 6’10” wingspan | Michigan | 20
    Now I've been wary of GR3, who has underachieved despite his talent-level. But he doesn't need to be the man here, and would be in his comfortable "off-the-ball/less-pressure" role. He has a solid stroke, a nice frame, athleticism and is a capable defender. I'm still not sold, but this would be a good fit for his development.
    How to get him: Could/Should be available with our #25 pick

Stay Away From These Guys:

1. Kyle Anderson | SF/PG | 6’9” 230; 7’3” wingspan | UCLA | 20
    Most people either love or hate Anderson. I can't say I hate him, but I think he needs a very specific roster around him to succeed. As a slow, ball-dominant point-forward without defensive ability or a consistent J, I think he'd would be a terrible fit with our roster.
    Where he could go: We could target him around #25.

2. Shabazz Napier | PG/SG | 6’0” 175; 6’3” wingspan | Connecticut | 22
    I'm not high or low on Napier, who I think could find a solid niche as a scoring point in the pros, but he doesn't have the physical tools to be the dynamic player he was in college. He really doesn't bring anything that we don't already have in Canaan, besides college pedigree.
    Where he could go: We could target him around #25.

3. Isaiah Austin | C/PF | 7’1” 220; 7’3” wingspan | Baylor | 20
    Austin is a guy who's stayed on the radar forever with his size/skillset, but he's a chronic underachiever and softie inside. I see little to no chance of him ever panning out.
    Where he could go: Early to late-2nd. Possibility at #42.

4. T.J. Warren | SF/SF | 6’8” 220; 6’10” wingspan | North Carolina State | 20
    I like Warren quite a bit as a prospect, as he has a fairly rare knack for scoring, particularly from the intermediate zone. He could help out a lot of teams offensively, but he's a minus defender, and without a consistent 3, he'd be a bad fit here.
    Where he could go: Mid to Late-1st, could be there at #25.

5. Zach LaVine | SG/PG | 6’6” 181; 6’8” wingspan | UCLA | 19
    LaVine's this year's freakish athlete upside prospect, but people are getting irrational and frankly, inaccurate with his comparisons/projections. He's currently a rail-thin jumpshooter who scores mostly off of fast-break leakouts, and lacks defensive chops or a developed offensive game. He screams bust, unless he gets in an ideal situation. Also, he's not ever going to be a full-time PG.
    Where he could go: Anywhere from the late-lottery to the 20s.

6. Cleanthony Early | SF/PF | 6’7” 209; 6’11” wingspan | Wichita State | 22
    Early is a smooth shooting combo-forward without much creating ability or great athleticism. Sound a tad too Marcus Morrisy for you? He could be a solid contributor somewhere, but his tweener concerns limit his upside.
    Where he could go: Late-1st to Early-2nd. Might be a possibility at #25.

7. Rodney Hood | SF/SG | 6’8” 208; 6’9” wingspan | Duke | 21
    Hood has solid size and a smooth stroke, but there just isn't much upside there. His short arms and thin frame limit him on D, and he could end up being fairly one-dimensional in the pros.
    Where he could go:Late lottery to late-1st.

1 person likes this.
  2. RightToCensor

RightToCensor Member

I'm not sold on Patric Young on the Rockets as long as we have Dwight commanding touches in the post. The spacing would be horrid and worse than whenever Asik is on the floor with Dwight. He has the chance to be an All-NBA Defensive Team player if he gets drafted by a team that can get him minutes (ala 76ers).

Thinking about it now....

Michael Carter-Williams (sophomore season)
    James Young (#10)
    Andrew Wiggins (#3)
    Nerlens Noel (rookie season)
    Patric Young (#39)

All that length, athletic, and defensive instincts. That sounds like a lineup that can develop into something special, like ELITE defensive team special.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The spacing and post-scoring would be less than mediocre, pretty one-dimensional team. Also doubt Wiggins will be #3.

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Good work, Sen. My biggest difference of opinion is on Cleanthony Early. IF he can find a position to defend, I think he can make it in the league.

5. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Good list. As much a fan of Smart I am, Noah Vonleh is the one I'd target if we get a pick in that range.

I used to have Noah Vonleh in my top3, but I'd even put him right behind Embiid. He's a star in the making and the safest star pick IMO.

Embiid's health, Wiggin's skill and Parker's defense are things to concern about, but Noah Vonleh has none of those with all the ingredients for success(age, size, athleticism, health, defense, rebounding, shooting...).

6. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I like McDaniels and Edwin in terms of team fit as wing defenders. It's also encouraging knowing that either one could potentially be available in the 2nd round.

Other late pick guys I like are Spencer Dinwiddie and DeAndre Daniels. More as floor spacers and offense off the bench than defenders though.

7. Normalus

Normalus Member

this!

8. ironariza

ironariza Member

1,Take Thanasis , not McDaniels。 McDaniels is blocked by Thanasis every times(3 times) @ the combine

2, Take Kristaps Porzingis, not kyle anderson

9. ironariza

ironariza Member

After, the draft combine, McDaniels will be never, ever, forever, against Thanasis in any kind of workouts

10. ironariza

ironariza Member

why McDaniels still have so many fans here?
    He is 2nd round player,
    should be after Thanasis for sure.

11. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

SHOOTERS!

If Glen Robinson is there take him. No pressure, just shoot open shots and as Mchale always says, don't let the ball get sticky.

12. instantno0o0dle

Could Kyle Anderson be Boris Diaw 2.0?

13. instantno0o0dle

He'd have to eat a few donuts first of course

14. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

The other name who could be a sleeper is PJ Hairston. He played in the D-League last year.

NBA body, shot well from the NBA 3 point line...something like 70 3's in 20 games. Natural shooter, spots up can catch and shoot off of screens. Most importantly for our style he is good in transition.

When his mind is right he can defend well. With few minutes off of the bench maybe, he could tighten that side up.

15. RightToCensor

RightToCensor Member

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He has the potential to shoot, but he needs to get a lot better at it.

17. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Thanks man. I agree that Early can find a niche, but I just don't see much in him in terms of upside.
    Thanks. I agree 100% on Vonleh, who would be a near-ideal fit much like Payne, but with considerably more upside. He has quite a bit of potential on both ends, and has fairly prototypical size for the PF spot.

Not sure why I didn't include him, but I see him going around 4 or 5 (I think an underrated scenario is Orlando taking him at #4 instead of Exum, as he's a great fit next to Vucevic and there should be PGs available at #12 in Payton and Ennis, while the PF pickings at #12 might be slimmer). And it might be unrealistic to trade up that high in this class.
    That seems to be the best comparison for him at this point. He's just too slow to play on the ball on the perimeter, but he has the size to be a great asset from the high-post.
    I like Hairston a lot too, but he'd be between the "target" and "stay away" list, because he's a microwave-type offensive player who won't bring much on the other end of the floor. We could use a guy like that, but I'd much rather target some defense/athleticism from the wing spots.

18. ironariza

ironariza Member

Will Kj be a better player than Thanasis?

19. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Your obsession with Thanasis has got to be one of the weirdest things I see on this board.

20. ironariza

ironariza Member

because Thanasis is a very good 2nd round

is KJ a good 1st round?