1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A Smith Rant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by roflmcwaffles, May 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. jose

jose Member

I am on topic addressing other people other than you, you used Dyson as a source but he's someone who's said messed up things before, so I don't consider that a good source. On the contrary, I think Thomas Sowell is someone who has very fair views, not that I agree with everything he says, but he's a well renowned scholar and has walked the earth for much longer than most people. I'm trying to expose the manipulation and the division agenda of the MSM.

[​IMG]

This is how I feel right now pretty much. wanting a level playing field for everyone = racist.

2. nchan

nchan Member

Agree. Cuban stated the reality of our society. He was giving example of the prejudice in our society and I think people were taking his stating out of context. I don't see how Cuban's example is offensive or controversial. In an experiment executes like the example Cuban's described, most people would show similar behaviors.

3. nchan

nchan Member

Here's the problem. Not everyone born into our society is in the same level playing field. Not everyone start their life like a game of dominoes where all the players have the same chance and the same amount of cash at the start of the game. I remembered this one time I was playing dominoes with my nephew. We started the game with me having most of the cash. He whined the whole game that I was cheating.

4. jose

jose Member

You're right, I never claimed they were, but forcing the issue only exasperates the inequality. hence the "wanting" part.

5. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

6. adobo

adobo Member

The implications of their comments? How is Cuban's comments going to have any implications on mine, yours, other individual's or the whole society for that matter? Is Cuban, the president of the world? Is Cuban the new Jesus or some spiritual leader from another religion that I am unfamiliar with?

The only implications that I can see are for a small amount of individuals that try to grasp at straws from his comment and blowing it out of proportion and making it more that it needs to be. Some common sense would have really helped here.

If you want to go deep into the debate about race, specifically "African Americans", then I suggest you leave Cuban's comments out of it because that would just be over-blowing his comments, and the message he was trying to imply.

7. adobo

adobo Member

You know what the sad thing about all of this is? Because of the selective people that grasp on Cuban's/Stephen A. comments and overblowing things and making this into some "race" debate....the real racist Sterling is now getting less spotlight from the media.

This will then turn into how "African American's get treated unfairly by everyone" or "African American's need to play less victim card" etc... and the spotlight instead goes into the African Community instead of Sterling. *Sigh*

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Are you suggesting, then, that black people don't play a role in it?

Seems like you're not embracing the idea that you're suggesting. Everyone has a role.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Nobody should be getting a spotlight from this. Like almost everything in our country, there is only moral outrage when someone rich or famous is involved.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Stephen A Smith's comments were aimed a black America. Dyson's comments were aimed at white America.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol, the sagging pants was the 90s.

Hip hop has gravitated towards skinny jeans now, so not sure what you're talking about.

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I probably would cross the street if I saw Riff Raff wearing a hoodie lol.

And I probably would walk up to Dwyane Wade and compliment him on his manpris for stylin' so hard nohomo.

13. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

Man, what that kid did was ****ed up, but what's more ****ed up is you using him as a joke.

that's cold man.

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

SAS did not remotely get owned by Michael Eric IMO. Michael Eric is a relic from the past that still sees things as they were half a century ago because that is when he was taught about racism in his world. The examples of Rosa Parks and MLK, while an important lesson are not as valid as they were 50 years ago. Racism is not what it was 50 years ago. Yes it still exists and most likely always will exist but the his example of Barack Obama is the perfect example of where we are with racism today.

The fact that Barack Obama is president tells us that we have come a long way with racism. It tells us that you can accomplish anything regardless of skin color and that people of all skin colors will support you and treat you fairly. The fact that a white sharif still uses racists remarks about Barack Obama tells us that regardless of how far we have come, there are still pockets of racism in our country that must still be overcome.

What is the difference between 50 years ago and now? The comments of the white sharif were socially acceptable 50 years ago where as today he is socially persecuted by all races alike. Michael Eric does not recognize that distinction between where society is today as compared to where society was when Rosa Parks or MLK were fighting racism.

SAS message was more valid and more point on because everything he said is true. There is still racism in the the USA and that is not going away anytime soon. But if you want to live the American dream then pull up your pants and get an education. He is correct, Lebron James, JZ etc.. are not the American dream, they are the American fantasy. SAS is the true American dream, a young man that grows up, chooses to get an education and chooses to lead a constructive life. Those are all personal choices that we all have in this country regardless of race. SAS points out that unemployment among blacks are double what they are among whites but then talks about how you have to help yourself instead a crying race. Michael Eric is only interested in crying race. There is a difference.

Lastly, Marc Cubans message was lost in all of the hypersensitivity over the black man in a hoodie comment. Cuban's message was absolutely spot on and to deny it is to stick our head in the sand and to stunt further advancements in racism and bigotry. Racism still exists in most of us to some degree no matter how we want to project ourselves. To ignore the racism in ourselves could come with negative consequences and be counter productive in advancing the cause of eliminating racism.

Acknowledging the racism within ourselves gives us the opportunity to address those negative traits with in ourselves and most importantly is a key tool in preventing us from projecting racism to our children. Racism is born from such things as insecurity, jealousy, a lack of understanding but it is transferred from generation to generation through teaching, either consciously or subconsciously. Defeating racism is only going to be done generationally but the fight starts with those of us (like Marc Cuban) acknowledging the issue, not just with society but with ourselves.

Finally, when someone like Marc Cuban steps forward and acknowledges that he is imperfect and still struggles with his own issues of racism or bigotry regardless of how small, should be applauded not vilified. He is acknowledging a problem that most americans have regardless of race and a problem that cannot be overcome by sticking your head in the sand. He is acknowledging that racism is unacceptable even for a billionaire that owns a basketball team. This is an opportunity for all of us to open our eyes in self reflection but instead many will close their eyes do to the media backlash that Cuban has received from educated relics like Michael Eric.

16. adobo

adobo Member

Spot on! But the only thing is your statements make too much sense that it will make some people not agree with it, or they will probably take a sentence out of context from your whole statement and make some silly argument about it.

17. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Doesn't exist? I don't think you fully comprehend the seriousness of being stereotyped, especially as a african american. Innocent black kids are DYING because stereotypes like the ones Mark Cuban mentioned. The stereotype of the black kid in a hoodie is so injust is ridiculous. SAS comments are out of place and need to be made somewhere else. He doesn't understand his comments will be used by ppl who don't care for black ppl against them. SAS has switched the conversation off Cuban to black kids getting a job. Cuban should be sendin his check in the mail

18. adobo

adobo Member

Look at the whole Mark Cuban statement and the context he has said it instead of nit picking and over analysing a handful of the words he has said. If people are going to be over politically correct in judging everyone's words that come out of their mouth, then we are just going to muddle up the serious discussion of the "real" racism that goes on.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Black should get spotlighted in this country for not tipping. People where I work run for the hills when they see certain types of black people come in. Because you it will probably include a difficult time with very minimal compensation.

I would love to see one of the scholars explain why black people (not all) are not generous or too ignorant to tip. 10,000 without a break on that would very interesting.

20. adobo

adobo Member

People don't grasp that certain individuals or groups within a certain community help create that stereo type.

Just like certain Islamic extremists who blow up planes, or how Sterling's racist comments has damaged the perception of the Jewish community as a whole....it's the same thing about those black gangs/thugs in hoodies committing those criminal activities.

It's the responsibility of both the individual's (that has instilled that stereotype in their mind) as well as the people in that community in breaking those stereotypes.

If tomorrow in the news, their is a spike of incidents of white teenagers in roller skates bashing elderly people on the streets......do you think the elderly community won't create a stereotype in their mind and avoid (or walking in the other side of the street) if they come a cross a group of white teenagers in roller skates??