1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First Round Knee Jerks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SacTown, May 4, 2014.

1. SacTown

SacTown Member

Granted, there are a lot of jerks on this bbs, but I'm here to talk about the premature ejaculation knee-jerks that happen around here after an underdog wins a game or two in a series and hopefully learn from our mistakes. As everyone knows, I'm pretty much the king of the NBA Dish; my predictions and analysis are usually on the money and I educate and hold people accountable for their incorrect statements and predictions. Just take this constructively and not personally.

After game 1 in the majority of the game threads on this bbs, I was led to believe that all favorites were going to be upset. At the end of the day, in the west the only underdog to actually win a series was Portland. You guys had me convinced that the Clippers, Thunder, Pacers and Spurs were going down. Granted the Spurs haven't played yet, but they aren't losing to the 7th seed Mavs and more than Likely Brooklyn will beat Toronto.

I was told that the Clippers couldn't match GSW's fire power, I was led to believe that the Pacers would be beaten by an 8 seed and that Paul George was "going fishing". I was sure OKC was going down and that Durant was too inconsistent, his defender had gotten into his head, and that his new nickname was "Mr. Unreliable" and that we would all be looking at the 7th seed Grizzlies in the 2nd round. I was told Chris Paul's teams always choke in the playoffs, Blake Griffin was a fake superstar and that nobody could guard Steph Curry. Hell, someone even said that the Pacers didn't even belong in the playoffs to begin with - much less be a #1 seed.

My friends, the best teams usually come out on top. Even if they don't have all their ducks in a row at times during the course of the series, at the end of the day they have 7 games to get there and good teams don't panic. Just because a series goes 7 games doesn't meat it was actually close. In 2011, the Bulls and the fake MVP Derrick Rose whipped Miami after LeBron and Wade had a late night in Vegas. You guys ALL said that series was over and the next thing you knew, it was Miami 4-1. The same thing in the 2012 finals, Miami lost game 1 to the hapless Thunder and you all crowed Durant and the "king with no rings" jokes started and the Heat reeled off 4 straight & James Harden looked like a deer in headlights. Good teams "wake up" when they need to and the HOUSTON ROCKETS were in the process of waking up this year with Portland when they just got unfortunate with that defensive breakdown and the anomaly of a miracle 3pt shot with .9 seconds left. If that doesn't fall then the Rockets easily win in 7 because they were the better team and they were going to be playing at home, but sometimes things happen like the anomaly of the 2011 finals - when the Mavs got too hot before Miami could wake up.

Going forward guys, just remember, if an underdog wins a game or two early on in a series please don't crown them - these things have 7 games to work themselves out. :cool:

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Toronto is the 3rd seed, Brooklyn is 6th. Your prediction would be an upset

3. BinBinRingRing

You are so wise after the event.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I knew all of this, but I didn't bet money in Vegas.

Just take my word for it.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

How is someone saying the Pacers were going to lose the last series knee jerk?

I mean they were down 3-2 and got blownout at home in Game 5.

6. VBG

VBG Member

1. Mavs are the 8th seed
    2. Grizzlies had Z-Bo out, Tony Allen with one eye and Conley hurt
    3. Hawks were a couple of plays away in game 6 from closing it out
    4. Warriors did all of this without Bogut. Again, a couple of plays (Clippers were clearly the better team overall in the series. I will give you that)

And I'm shocked. You're such a genius. Favorites usually win the series. Genius analysis.

7. VanityHalfBlack

I too, knew Portland was going to win this series. Would make some money if I would just bet straight up.

8. Likemike33

Likemike33 Member

The Rockets series reminded me a lot of our 2008 playoff run: we had similar regular season wins 55 in 2008; 54 wins in 2014; in the first round (4th seed) both years we had home court advantage and then in both years we lost the first 2 games at home, then won game 3 on the road, before losing a close one in game 4, won game 5 at home before losing game 6 on the road... I thought 2nd round was probable even though Yao was out in 2008 playoffs.

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

stopped reading right there. this is like giving yourself your own nickname.

from now on, I will call you "CoCo"

10. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

CoCo it is.

11. dback816

dback816 Member

Beautiful.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Miami was 2-1 in that series, CoCo!

14. SacTown

SacTown Member

WRONG. Brooklyn was favored going into the series. There was no upset here.

15. SacTown

SacTown Member

And then they relaxed. Proves my point exactly. Thank you for mentioning this.

16. SacTown

SacTown Member

Go look in the game threads. I'm about the only one defending the favorites in there.

17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Wait, did this really happen and if so why wasn't a bigger deal made of it? Why the F would they be in Vegas the night before game 1 of the ECF?

18. SacTown

SacTown Member

It was confirmed lol. They were immature and overconfident in 2011.

19. SacTown

SacTown Member

And the spurs whip the mavericks. Yawn

20. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

We got blown out in that game 6 and didn't lose on a shot at the buzzer...