1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long does a game-winning shot take? Lillard's took 1.2-1.3 seconds.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hairyme, May 3, 2014.

1. hairyme

hairyme Member

[I posted this in another thread (here), but it's getting buried in the post-elimination barrage of activity. I figured everyone else is polluting the GARM, so I will too since I at least have some new info.]

Alright, I just completed an exercise in futility (mostly out of curiosity), but I used a slo-mo video (this one), my superb drumming skills and a metronome... and the answer for how long does it take for Damian Lillard to get off a game-winning 3-pointer is...

1.2-1.3 seconds

Caveats:
    1. I synced my metronome to the shot clock on the backboard. This assumes that the display changes at a constant reliable rate.

2. My syncing is probably anywhere from +/-5 bpm off of the timing in the video, but it doesn't make that much of a difference.

3. I'm using blurry slo-mo video to judge when Lillard catches and releases the ball. I can only be so accurate.

Even so, if every play was held up to this level of scrutiny, we'd find many buzzer-beaters ruled "incorrectly" simply due to the inherent delay in a human-controlled clock.

In conclusion:
    If the clock guy had started the time with a normal/acceptable amount of human-induced error/delay (~ 0.2 seconds? I'm not sure), I don't think the shot would've counted (considering there was 0.9 seconds left), and at best, would've left Lillard's hands right at 0.1-0.0 seconds left on the clock.

Nonetheless, it's all over.
    It was an amazing shot.
    Maybe next year...

(Oh, and if any of you want to play this awful game yourselves, I ended up with about 174 bpm to count the tenths of a second on that video. Feel free to double-check me!)

2. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/moSFlvxnbgk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

bottom line...he made a shot...with the time allocated as indicated by the buzzer and the redlight. Whether the clock started on time or .2 seconds later doesnt matter, bc Lillard caught the ball, and shot it probably within a period of 0.5 seconds...Lillard made a heck of a play...and the Rockets blew the coverage...

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Grasping at straws. He shouldn't have gotten that good of a look to begin with.

5. FaBo

FaBo Member

Honestly, I don't even care about that. It was a great shot combined with the Rockets doing everything wrong they possibly could have in that situation. It's over and we can't change it. It hurts, and will probably hurt for quite a while, but eventually, we have to move on and the management has to do whatever they can in the summer to improve the team so that we might actually have a shot at the title.

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

what you are saying in your intro is that you posted this in that thread but it hasn't gotten any replies yet so you made a new thread about it with the info copy/pasted.

7. hairyme

hairyme Member

Huh?? Did you even read my post?

I actually measured, well as best I could at least, the amount of time it took, and it was definitely over a second.

That said, I agree with everything else you said. I'm not particularly hung up on the play beyond my curiosity about if he really got the shot off in time. The fact is, the Blazers outplayed us enough to win the series, the end.

Just thought this was interesting is all.

8. Mr Chuck Norris

Let it go....it's over

9. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

I agree, I forgot who's tweet I read but basically NBA allows a shot to be good last second pretty much no matter how long it takes if it's close, because of that "human timing". nothing we can do about it though.

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

This is the equivalent of watching a slo mo camera of your house being robbed.

Doesn't change the fact that the house was robbed. It's like 'now what?' :confused:

It's rigged and not that we didn't know that after game 1 and 4 with league apologies. It was a tall order to expect rockets to win 6 out 7 and that's what the nba dialed up for us including this final shameful clock hold.

It might be more painful if it wasn't so obvious or a league that wasn't built around the tooth fairy and santa claus. The portland Silvers played tough and credit to lillard for hitting the shot albeit with some home cooking timekeeping to add insult to injury.

This whole series was a complete farce and I am actually glad it's over because I would have not been able to stomach this league too much more anyway. it would be the same as seeing my daughter do p*rn. umm no thanks. I definitely won't be watching the nba for the rest of the season. My new goal is to go as long as I can without knowing who won the finals.

the title? LOL

for what? So that the league can force us to win 6 of 7 again in a rigged shi**t show?

It's fixed and houston will never be a market that gets any love. It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Fighting with spears against nuclear weapons. You can't beat the league mandates.

11. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

The second the play started in real time, I knew it was going to get ****ed up the second Bev switched off of Lillard. I literally almost had a heart attack, I STILL can't fathom the ****ing fact that that switch even happened. I don't give a **** about Jones not sliding to help the perimeter, or Harden not switching to run to Lillard. I ****ing care about Bev and Parsons, I just can't believe they switched. I had nightmares last night! That **** kept on replaying in my head a million times. I still can't take this anymore.

12. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

This is what I said when it first happen http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=254163

Look at the clock the ball is halfway to the rim before the horn goes off... and look at how high he jumped in the air before he let the shot go.. so you can tell me you can catch the ball turn, jump and high as you can jump, and the ball in the air half way to the rim in less then a second? in 0.9 seconds BS....

13. bmd

bmd Member

That's just not true. It doesn't take 1.2 seconds to get a shot off.

It will take about a half of a second.

Here is an experiment... just use your phone.

Tap your phone's stop-watch when he catches and tap your phone again when the ball is released. I guarantee that it will be only about a half of a second.

Even if you are off a little bit, you won't be off by another half of a second.

Try it.

14. bmd

bmd Member

0.9 seconds is plenty of time to get a shot off... I assure you.

Use a stop watch and you will realize how long 0.9 seconds really is.

15. bmd

bmd Member

I just hand timed it 3 times. I got:

Pretty much exactly a half a second every time.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

Throughout an NBA game how often does the clock "really" start on time?

17. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

It's over. It's hurts but it's over. Time to look at whats next for this team. It will be a very interesting offseason just observing what Morey will do to improve the roster.

18. hairyme

hairyme Member

Haha, probably never! That was more the intent of this thread--just to discuss the consequences of human timing and how long it took for the shot to get off. This is not a "we got robbed, somebody call the NBA for review!" post by any means. The shot clock error in this instance was significant I think, but even if it was handled somewhere in the realm of normal accuracy, the shot may or may not have counted.

Ah thank you for playing! Yeah I certainly believe a player can get a shot off in under a second, but I just thought maybe Lillard's took longer after seeing the slo-mo video, which of course does not reflect the fast-moving reality that the refs and clock guys have to deal with.

I still stand by what I counted from the slo-mo video, but your count could very likely reflect what someone might see it as in real-time--which would be more pertinent to actual in-game decisions.

19. knowidea

knowidea Member

he caught it, took a little 2 step hop, brought the ball down in his shooting motion and brought the ball up to his head before the clock started it.

I wish we could get another clock edited in that shot in slow motion to show the actual time, not the cheating clock handlers. The very handlers that started the clock before the Rockets even touched the ball right before half time when there was .3 seconds on the clock.

20. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

Weird, cuz my wife is always telling me how quick I am too. :grin: