1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Nationals @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Talk about the series here. Please no PBP in this thread. Unless otherwise noted all games are on CSN-H (for about 40% I guess).

4-29 Gio Gonzalez, LHP vs. Jarred Cosart, RHP 7:10

4-30 Jordan Zimmermann, RHP vs. Brett Oberholtzer, LHP 7:10

2. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

WW - Jarred strings together two solid starts while Olbie bounces back (and gets his first win), but the bats are the main reason the streak stays alive. 5+ in one game to match a decent pitching performance in the other.

3. Xercules

Xercules Member

Nats will also be without Harper, which helps us out.

4. PanchoVilla3504

There are going to be a lot of Nats fans out there today. Even without Harper, the Nats should take both games.

5. PanchoVilla3504

*Edit* Even without Harper, Zimmerman & Ramos, the Nats should take both games.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

i wish we had two good pitchers

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Define good.

Except for one bad game from Oberhotlzer and one bad game from Cosart (and disregarding Harrell since he is no longer on the team) the starting pitching except for Peacock has been excellent. Feldman and McHugh have combined for a 1.42 ERA. Cosart and Obie are in the 3s disregarding their one bad game and Keuchel is at 3.56.

8. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Fixed

9. awc713

awc713 Member

uhhhh okay.

"good" : gio gonzales and zimmerman. or strasberg.

not oberholtzer, not cosart, not the sample size that is 5 games between feldman and mchugh.

i like our movement. i really think luhnow is the man. and i agree, obie has had some promising starts.

but our pitchers sceram of mediocrity--not good. they're okay. no one on our current staff screams a #1 or #2 on a competing team, or even a #3 on a WS team. thats the simple truth. could appel be that? sure. rodon? i hope. do i love our farm system? yup.

but we do not have a gio gonzales right now. and thats what i mean by "good"

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nice to see GS finally make contact/get a good swing on one.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

anybody else watching this game online and hearing the color commentator for the nationals? that guy is the biggest hater Ive ever heard in my life. good gawd, somebody needs to shut that guy up

12. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

How are you watching it online?

Link por favor!

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

goatd.net

1 person likes this.
  14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Cosart has a 3.18 era in the majors, just under 100 innings pitched.

Obie has a 3.27 era in the majors, just under 100 innings pitched.

So yea if you want a guy to be a legit #1 or #2 starter to call them good, I would completely agree. But those two guys have certainly shown to this point that they are "good" mid rotation starting pitchers. In my opinion, if those two are your #3 and 4 you have a chance to be really good. What we don't have at all, are a 1 and 2

15. awc713

awc713 Member

you just more or less made my point for me. they've pitched less than 100 innings each. have they had good outings? yup. have they had horrible outings? yup. am i excited for them? you bet.

side note--> judging cosart based off last year's era is not really fair, but thats another argument for another day.

cosart has displayed the stuff to be a competent #3 in a solid rotation. obie...he could very well be a solid 4. but that's contingent upon the assumption that they gain more consistency/ do not get worse.

in referring to my original post, i said i wanted good pitchers. maybe i should have clarified that this includes consistency. this is something no one in our rotation has yet to display, and yes, that is clearly a byproduct of being an incredibly young team.

go stros. one day. one day we will get there.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Guess I agree with what we want but disagree on what is "good", which is no big deal

I think Cosart has certainly been consistently good. He has made 15 major league starts, in 10 of them he has given up 2 earned runs or less, 4 more times he has given up 3 earned. In only 3 of those 15 starts has he given up more than 3 earned. To me, that is consistently good. Now I know many people look at him and expect a huge implosion, and only time will tell there obviously, but I don't understand how we can look at his 15 starts and say he hasn't been consistently good, when looking at only the facts

Obie pretty much the same. 15 major league starts, 2 earned or less in 9 of them, 3 earned in 3 more. That is 12 of 15 major league starts with 3 earned runs or less allowed. Very consistent.

Are either of them going to turn into Kershaw, or Verlander, or whatever true ace you want to use as a comparison? Nope, not gonna happen. But both have been very good, consistent, major league pitchers.

We need two front line starters to emerge from among Appel, Vasquez, McCullers, Hader, 2014 Pick . . .and we could have the makings of a very good rotation

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thanks Bullpen

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Altuve flies out to right. Nats rally against Astros bullpen to win, 4-3. Astros are 0-4 in games that were tied after eight innings.</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/statuses/461348349103198210">April 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

So, we would be 13-14 if we had won those games.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Springer.......... What is your deal mayne?

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Another pointless error on Springer (#5). Not sure what his problem is in trying to pick up balls or field a multi-hopper.