1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick the Ruler Strikes Again.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Mar 20, 2014.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Let me ask you this, what did Rick lead the Rockets to in his years here?

Nothing.
    <br>
    Did Rick have a positive playoff win percentage as Rockets' coach? [edited]

Nope, it was a paltry .474
    <br>
    The truth hurts. But, real Rockets fans have to regulate from time to time.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/60k9Fxrw0us" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#21 DudeWah, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You mcgrady fans are sad.

Rick will get into the hall of fame before mcgrady depending on if rick ever quits.

We know mcgrady quits on a dime

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Key is the word to focus on. He never was.

It was always Morey. Hence why we've posted consistent winning seasons since Adelman was let go.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

So let me get this straight, you think that first series this team won in over a decade, all in his second season I may add, wasn't proof of anything...but everything Morey has done is?

I love our GM, but don't kid yourself. If you are going to use that sort of PO success as a gauge, wait till we do something this post season. My opinion on McHale has been clear, I have been a staunch supporter of him as many have unfairly blamed him, but that doesn't mean you have to discount Rick. In the hypothetical dreaded scenario in which this team loses a first round series this year...what would your point be? I wouldn't pin it on coach McHale, but I would like to see where your argument would go under such circumstances. Would the hardline stance you're taking towards an extreme, where "Morey right--Adelman wrong," be discounted and point towards a hardline stance in the other direction? The logical assumption would be that this team is inexperienced, but if I were to use your logic, I guess it would be that Adelman was right and Morey was wrong since:

Also, it wasn't just that series we won. We took the would-be champs to 7 games led by AB, Artest, Scola, Battier, and Chuck. Try to justify to yourself that the coaching had nothing to do with it.

1 person likes this.
  5. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Then I believe we are arguing two separate things. Whether Rick was the right man for the job is irrelevant. My issue is that folks seem to discredit this man's basketball acumen simply because his current team is underperforming. It's ridiculous. I mean, you don't stay in the NBA 20+ years without doing something right.

Also, tip of the hat. You just out-tinman'd tinman.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    What does McGrady have to do with anything? :confused:

Please stop pushing your agenda and stay on topic. This thread is focusing on Rockets' front office, managerial, and coaching decisions.

The fact of the matter is that the Rockets did the right thing by letting Rick Adelman go. Do you agree or disagree?

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He probably is but that doesn't diminish Adelman's lengthy, Hall of Fame worthy coaching career.

Probably should have just retired after leaving the Rockets but it was his choice to continue on. The guy is getting paid a bunch of money to continue doing what he loves. Can't blame him.

8. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

It really is sad isn't it? The guy that took the Blazers to the finals, turned the Kings around and almost won a championship with them before they got cheated, won 22 games in a row with a Yao-less team for the majority, won this ball club its first playoff series in over a decade---doesn't have anything to do with their success?

Exactly, its the extreme stance that makes this so profoundly stupid.

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yes, I believe we are. Rick Adelman as a basketball mind is one of the greatest of all time. His work with the Trailblazers and Kings is probably very underrated and under appreciated.

I doubt anyone outside of Portland even reminisces those Blazers teams.

He really did an amazing job.

But Adelman by the time he joined the Rockets was nothing special.

;)

10. tinman

Supporting Member

You are talking to a McGrady fan. They hate Rick Adelman because the year Tmac came back from surgery, Rick limited his minutes so that he wouldn't get hurt again, however Tmac wanted 30 minutes a game.

We all know who was right on that topic.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

You didn't watch the Rockets . I call you out on that.

They fired JVG for many reasons. JVG, the favorite coach of Tmac fans because his whole offense was based on Tmac and Yao and a bunch of defensive players. Clearly his offense didn't work because he had too much faith in his superstars.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Can I report you for posting false stats? His worst season the Rockets were 512

<PRE>
    Regu Play
    Season Age Lg Tm G W L W-L% W .500 Finish G W L W-L% Notes
    2007-08 61 NBA HOU 82 55 27 .671 14.0 3 6 2 4 .333
    2008-09 62 NBA HOU 82 53 29 .646 12.0 2 13 7 6 .538
    2009-10 63 NBA HOU 82 42 40 .512 1.0 3
    2010-11 64 NBA HOU 82 43 39 .524 2.0 5
    Career NBA 1775 1036 739 .584 148.5 157 79 78 .503
    </PRE>

http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/adelmri01c.html

13. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

He has the highest winning % of any coach in rockets history, Bull pointed that out last time we played the wolves.

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    You're comparing apples to oranges and not really understanding the point.

Let's say that this year's team fails to pass the first round. That would be considered a failure and McHale would deservedly receive criticism.

But McHale's tenure as Rockets' coach is not over yet. You can't properly analyze what he did or did not accomplish. The hard facts are that Adelman did not lead us to anything.

Even that, though, is not the issue.

I think you're failing to remember that Adelman had a huge problem with Morey's personnel and assistant coaching decisions. A lot of people here supported Adelman and said "hey, maybe Morey's way is not right."

Now, however, it is quite apparent that Morey's way was correct.

Due to well...
    -the Rockets posting winning records every year under McHale's reign.
    -the Rockets acquiring Harden and Dwight (Adelman hardly agreed with Morey's personnel decisions and clashed with him often hence why we had scrubs like k-mart and brad miller on the team)
    -Adelman's Wolves being molded to Adelman's likings with players such as Bud/k-mart/etc.. and failing
    <br>
    I was there during that playoff run in 2009. It was electric. I loved it. Great memories. But the fact is still that Adelman was done. And as far as Rockets' success goes, he hardly had any.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You do realize that under Morey the Rockets have like one playoff win right?

Can't be this simple. We all know that those rocket teams were plagued by injuries and constantly getting the worst match-up in the playoffs every year (With Boozer the Rocket Killer and Okur the Yao Stopper.) and also playing the cheating mavs.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

I posted this in the feedback.

There's one thing regardless of what you feel about a coach or player you should do, it's post false information.

it's detrimental to the board.

For example, I'm never going to say Jeremy Lin scored 2 points in one game when he scored 10 points. If I want to criticize his game, it would based on factual evidence. It's pretty evident he's making up these false stats.

17. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

The players on the Wolves suck. Rick would do wonders with this team. This team would be a much better offensive team then it is right now. That's scary. But that ship has sailed and I'm fine with McHale.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

as an unbiased thread observer, I would say that DudeWah has been losing his argument so far.

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I didn't type the word playoff in there. Sorry for the confusion. Will edit my post.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

No you purposely did that. I reported you for reporting false statistics.

That's sad dude, really.

1 person likes this.