1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for Comcast / CSN Houston Customers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cml750, Feb 13, 2014.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

I ask the following question due to the possible Comcast /Time Warner buyout. I live in the Beaumont area which is Time Warner country so currently we have zero option to watch CSN-H. With a Comcast buyout of Time Warner that may change.

Here is the question:

Anybody know what the minimum package you can receive CSN-H on Comcast is and how much it cost???? Can you get it without a digital box?

Thanks,

Chuck

#1 cml750, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

The package is the Digital Starter. Just so you know. Comcast sucks. Seriously contemplating cutting the cord.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Never had a problem with Comcast... then again, I'm enough tech savvy that I can trouble-shoot most issues on my own, and I utilize the online chat for tech support more-so than the idiots on the phone. Also helps that I guess I'm in an area with good infrastructure, as the bandwidth has always been what it should be.

I also understand that some of the customer service centers have some of the dumbest people on earth to ever have a job... but its far easier to swap out equipment at those places, vs. having to wait for a tech to come by your house, or even sending it in yourself via mail (which is what you have to do with most satellite services).

4. Coach E

Coach E Member

Comcast isn't that bad. A little pricey but well worth it for rockets/astros.

5. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Comcast customer, and I've got to say that I am consistently impressed with CSN. Putting their distribution issues aside, their product is top-notch. So much locally produced content with big budget, national type production quality. Beats the hell out of anything I ever saw on HSE or FSSW.

6. cml750

cml750 Member

Thanks for the info. How much does that cost.

7. cml750

cml750 Member

Thanks to everyone. I have never had this option so I am curious because it looks like I may soon will.

8. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

The only reason I have Comcast is to watch the Rockets. I foolishly thought that they would get things worked out last year, and watched every game that wasn't nationally televised on the computer. I didn't want to ever do that again, so I switched to Comcast.

I can tell you that Comcast just sucks, really it sucks. I'm not exaggerating, I have unplug and reset my box 6 out of every 7 days. The technology is so far behind it's ridiculous, Uverse could do stuff 10 years ago that Comcast can't do now. I have their x1 box which they advertise as some new great thing, again Uverse was doing this 10 years ago and it worked better then.

There is nothing good about Comcast except you get to watch the Rockets.

9. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

As a comcast customer my input is as follows.

Do not waste your money. The customer service is horrendous. The internet speeds are atrocious, and the pricing is laughable compared to other service providers.

The ONLY reason why we still use comcast is because our apt complex can't get internet from anyone other than comcast.

The only thing that I've enjoyed about being a comcast customer is the fact that I can watch the rockets.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I've noticed that things like internet speed are really location dependent... infrastructure makes a big difference.(also, subscribing to their higher tier vs. lower tier will effect speeds).

As far as customer service goes, I haven't had any issues with their online chat support... and usually get a much quicker/suitable solution.

11. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

I have comcast and it sucks. The only reason I have it is to watch the rockets.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

my experience with them is much like yours. Im experienced enough with tech to take care of all but the worst problems....and the few times I had to call their support were relatively satisfactory and painless ( full disclosure, I usually called my business internet tech support number with all Comcast problems, they would then transfer me to the appropriate dept, made it easier to get a real person.)

The biggest problems I had with them, and the reason why I switched to Direct, is that their prices are very high to get a decent lineup with HD dvrs.
    The tech(pre-infinity) is crapola, the dvrs are clunky and difficult to operate and realistically required hard reboots far more often than they should have.

The internet speeds are fine, I have used TW/Comcast high speed cable since 99 and it has rarely been a problem. The only extended outage I have ever had is during Ike.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm sort of freaked out by this news, and I hope the Feds stop it. I've had T/W since I moved to Austin from Houston 34 years ago (Austin was a pioneer in Texas with cable, and has had it since the 1960's, I believe), and maybe I've been lucky, but my service has been excellent. My biggest complaint is the expense. So far, I haven't wanted to change, and I don't like the idea of change being "forced" on me. Will follow this with great interest, I can tell you. :-(-

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think things will change any time soon. I'm sure it would be year or more before the buyout is completed. At least that's what I have been hearing.

15. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I've had Comcast since it switched over from Time-Warner and have had very few problems. Any that I did have were rectified pretty quickly and the customer service has been good either when I've called or visited one of their stores to exchange a box or upgrade.

That said, I've never had DirectTv or Uverse so I can't compare, but I'm happy with the service and especially the high speed internet.

My only gripe is you currently have to have the triple play to get the new X1 box and I'm not about to get a phone line.

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I saw someone with expertise say he thinks it'll be 2016.

17. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

The channel CSN Hou is awesome. It's an awesome experience to watch the Rockets games on that channel! Much better than the Fox Sports channel we used to watch the games on.

That said.. Comcast is HORRIBLE. Let me give you guys an experience that I'm dealing with right now.. And this is just the most recent problem with Comcast, not an isolated incident.

So Comcast calls me and explains that I've been a customer since 07 and they value my business. They see my bill is $160/month and say they can upgrade my DVR for free, give me all the movie channels (HBO, Stars, etc) and sports packages, double my internet speed and my bill would go down to $130/month.. I say great, what's the catch? They say no catch, it's because I've been a customer for so long. I make it clear that it better not be a catch, they say there's no catch, no surprises..

Fast forward a week to today. They call me and say my bill is $577 for the month! :mad: How can this be? So I call to inquire.. they keep transferring me.. I spend 30 minutes on the phone with people transferring me.. finally a man stays on the line and talks to me. He says they're charging me for canceling my contract. WHAT!? They called me and offered me the upgraded package with no catch! Now they're telling me I canceled my contract?

So I tell the guy it's a mistake, he hangs up on me! I kid you not! I've been calling them all day today, and every person I talk to just transfers me to a different department! A never ending cycle.

/rant

1 person likes this.
  18. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

I was with att for many years. I am saving a bundle with phones-net-RocketsTV.

My first installer, no insult intended, didn't speak in a language I understood.
    What was worse, he didn't understand me either. Glad I waded this out because watching it in HD that's clean is pretty much nirvana re: Rockets.

19. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

What's funny is that if you called Comcast and asked them that, they wouldn't even know because it isn't listed on their channel guide by package tier. I found out by continually switching service to maintain my promotional rates. I pay $125 per month for cable and internet. That's a promotional rate. If you go with Comcast, just be sure to carefully study their plans and fees. Otherwise, you'll be surprised with the fluctuation in your monthly bill.

My main gripe on them is service. I constantly have problems with sound cutting out or picture cutting out, and their phone service is terrible. There are times when you'll be on hold waiting for a rep, and then a message will play telling you that they're experiencing high volume and can't take your call before hanging up on you. I can't feel good about paying $125 monthly for that type of service. If other providers offer CSN, I wouldn't have Comcast.

20. cml750

cml750 Member

Eek, some of these stories are scary.:eek: I have Direct TV and absolutely love it although I do get my internet through Time Warner so I will have to deal with Comcast at least for internet (assuming the buyout goes through) although I do have other internet options that are slower. I had Time Warner Cable in the past and wasn't very happy with it hence my switch to Direct TV.

Well if the buyout doesn't happen until 2016, my best hope to get CSH-H is for the bankruptcy reorganization to happen quickly so carriage deals can be worked out. This whole mess is so dang frustrating!!!:mad:

Thanks again for everyone's input!!

#20 cml750, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014