1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

RE: Late passes. Consider how spot-up shooters operate. Everyone blames Harden for end of shot clock passes, but you know what I observe about 75% of the time these passes happen? An instant, textbook, fluid catch and shoot by the receiver of said pass. Unconscious shot selection made necessary by the time on the clock. Most of the time they're pretty damn open due to their defender cheating towards Harden a step. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the coaching staff encourages it if Harden can't create anything else. It sure as hell beats him taking an off-the-dribble fall-away.

2. qiantom1999

qiantom1999 Rookie

Lin said after the game that he was not expecting a pass from Harden when he got the pass. No need to blame anyone, but in late game situations, it should either be Lin expecting the pass if Harden passed it or Harden did not pass it. The fact that they were not on the same page is the real issue that the coaches need to address.

3. allaroundplayer

No, you didn't. It's not in that video. Watch the whole game again & you will see times when Howard walked the other way or ignored Lin when he was on the floor, NOT while play was going on.

4. allaroundplayer

No, I was pointing out Harden's bad attitude.

5. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I know i deserve your nasty remards because I am so biased. --- " Has accomplished a removal of bias" Is this idiotic?

6. gene18

gene18 Rookie

It Baffled our announcers-Bullard, Worrel, and Drexler.They discussed it a bit on the air.

7. Little General

So Howard did not help Lin up at 5:00? It must be someone else that looked like Howard right? All the black people look a like don't they?

Get out of here man!

8. allaroundplayer

reported

9. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Boy you are all very upset. I really dont want to get iinvolved with this as now I have three posters very upset and one verbally attacked me by calling me an idiot My main pont was his late passes , not if he was wrong or right to pass at that point. It was inferred by that nasty poster. I contested three by Harden is better than a noncontested three by Lin. Harden takes them all the time and hits them. If he takes his contested three early we can get the offensive rebound, for a put back or another three attempt. Wlkens mentioned this. Threes from the top of the key tend to rebound back toward the upper part of the key and are frquently rebounded by the offensive team according to stats, my experience , what I have been told by coaches, and my reading.( Beverley knows about where a ball tends to rebound and he is frequently there. Thats one of the reasons he gets many rebounds. I see him run to the correct position all the time.) Again I am not saying Harden was completely wrong. I did not say he was wrong in my original post. There is no clear right or wrong in a situation like this. Only probability. To answer your question about who I would choose. I would choose Harden taking a contested three. He's a master at it. He takes many during each game, and it keeps us in the game. Lin is not known to be a good catch and shoot guy. I have seen Harden make almost impossible contested shots. Look at my answer to the thread that asked who would you want to take a buzzer beater shot. I answered Harden. Lin drives, passes and sets others up. Mchale has never asked him to take a buzzer beater. There is a good reason for this. Please, your emotions are getting the best of you (all). KlutchKt you have been the most civilized when posting. The others tend to be crude.
    Please don't reply.

10. Little General

You can report me all you like, but your "conspiracy" is what instigate people. And I'll ask again. At 5:00 wasn't that Dwight Howard helping Jeremy Lin up? Why would Howard help Lin up if he doesn't like him or why would Harden high-five Lin if he doesn't like him? You got another conspiracy?

11. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I carefully watched the footage you refer to and see nothing at all to indicate your assertion. I think you are making something out of nothing at all.

12. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

For all this talk about the ATL game and LOFs, I'll say that McHale didn't seem too fazed by what happened at the end of that game. He played Lin 43 minutes against Washington and even let Lin run the offense for an 18-8 game and a solid game on defense against Wall (who had an inefficient night against Lin). As for LOFs, we think the guy ought to be recognized as a starter because we do think he's a good player who has more than demonstrated his ability against top competition. What we all really want is to develop the Harden-Lin backcourt as one of the elite tandems in the game. No less a figure than Isaiah Thomas has had similar thoughts. If Lin isn't going to have that opportunity and if he is going to get jerked around by the coaching staff (as happens periodically) then yes we would like to see him get traded to a team with a coaching staff that is more supportive.

13. Play07

Play07 Member

“Forty-three minutes is too long for anybody, but Jeremy was playing well,” McHale said. “He was pushing it. He had a good flow going. We needed to get some pace back in the game. We played a game (Friday) night where we had no pace and no push and we just got to push the ball, get it up and down. Jeremy’s very good pushing it. We just have to get guys running with him so he doesn’t get hung up there by himself.”Houston chronicle 1-12-14 http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...d-outside-shooting-opens-lane-for-jeremy-lin/

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LOLOLOLOLOL.

15. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LOL. It's a public message board... unfortunately, you don't get to tell me not to reply. ;) There was absolutely nothing emotional or upset about my post -- I simply asked you a question. Thanks for answering.

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is a section for Rockets fans, not Lin fans. Go to his fansite. We are trying to shovel out garbage not take it in.

This guy is not a Rockets fan or a Lin fan. He is just a troll. Just report everything he posts and hopefully the staff will ban him. Not even LoF's are this r****ded.

17. jms99

jms99 Member

No, shaq wasn't a great OUTSIDE shooter. From near the hoop he was very effective at finding a shot. Shaq also had great D and understood the game. He had exceptional post skills. I don't think you realize how skilled shaq was. Shaq would fake the crap out of Olajuwon and leave him looking around for where the ball is.

I'm also talking about the WORST players, not the players that make 30 points per game.

I don't think the worst players in the NBA are as good as you think they are. That's why a lot of players in the league don't last. They get drafted and they stick around a bit and then they get dropped. The worst players in the NBA right now aren't going to be in the league necessarily in a couple years. Why? Because the NBA isn't really a pure meritocracy. Picking a team is pretty random, and a lot of people out there don't really know what they're doing.

18. TheJet

TheJet Member

If Shaq wasn't so physically huge he wouldn't have been dominant like he was. Plain and simple. But yes, he had a good post skill set. Not sure if you're serious about comparing his basketball skills to Dream though. :rolleyes:

I simply am referring to the last players on the bench. They're not stars and quite often not huge contributors. But when they get sent down to the D-league they tend to look like all stars. How many times have we talked about Rockets players that kill it with RGV or the summer league but ride the pine in the NBA? D-mo? T-Rob? In the grand scheme of the NBA, by your definition these are the worst players on the team. Heck I'm guessing you probably considered Casspi a total scrub when the Rockets signed him. I know I did :).

I think our definition of good and bad is worlds apart. Maybe I'm just comparing NBA players to all the other level guys I've seen up close. Either way we're going round and round. Agree to disagree.

19. jms99

jms99 Member

Oh, i was actually talking about the worst players in the league, not the worst players on any particular team. As in, pick the 5 worst players in the entire league. I don't think any rocket is one of the worst players in the league.

I never compared Shaq to Olajuwon.

20. novaman

novaman Member

Looks like the ugliness of the Atlanta game forced McHale to reassess his strategy. It's hard not to notice that in both the Wash. and Boston games the ball was in Jeremy's hands a lot more, and the result was 20+ point leads (of course they need to learn to hang on to those leads better, but that's another story). If this trend continues, it will be hard not to keep Jeremy in the lineup as a starter.