1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. SK34

SK34 Member

Many threads regarding this come up every year so I decided to make a singular thread which can help people throughout the whole year.

I'm sure many of you have things y'all wanna get done in the new year.

I hope this thread will help you and you don't quit in your conquest to be the better you physically.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

A steady routine and diet of sex.

3. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Good thread , bookmarking it.

4. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

It can't hurt the cause ....

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Good thread. I am really bad at getting into the gym lifestyle and giving it up for a few months (Repeat process) - work and other things sometimes get in the way and once I am out of my routine it's really hard to get myself motivated.

Any tips on how to get started back up again but KEEP the focus?

6. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

This thread will die in a month

7. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Easy, setting personal goals should be your first step. Next just find out what sort of activities you enjoy doing to help you meet those goals. Whether it be running, rock climbing, weightlifting, or whatever you like. Find something you enjoy doing as long as it keeps your body moving.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

insanity workout + track calories with myfitnesspal.com

focus + discipline + hard work = success

(this is advice for others -- I'm in peak physical condition)

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Starting p90x3 next week.

I'm in decent shape but have become completely bored with going to the gym, though I still usually go twice per week mixed in with playing racquetball once or twice in addition.

p90x3 is only 30 minutes per day so that was appealing to me rather than trying to squeeze in an hour 6 days a week. The hardest part will be spending more time grocery shopping and cooking to eat right.

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

MapMyRun. AWESOME app.

keeps records of mile times, splits, etc and syncs calories burned with your daily allotment. when i want to do an indoor workout, there's even an option to pick "run, treadmill" or "workout video: p90x yoga" (or any of the p90x's, insanity) and it will accurately gauge calories burned based on weight.

there may be better fitness apps out there. this one is the first one i've tried but it's been great. god i freaking love having a iphone.

11. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Didn't even know there was a p90x3. I have done the first two though I enjoyed the first one more. Let me know how it is! I'll probably search around for some preview videos of it.

12. SK34

SK34 Member

I doubt it.

13. Classic

Classic Member

Best pre-workout i've found for weight loss. My wife even takes it and likes it.

[​IMG]

Get it from a local GNC. They'll give you samples if you ask for a couple to try it.

14. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I work out very infrequently so I've never really taken supplements. What are the main benefits of this? Looked it up on GNC, and it's quite pricy. Do you just feel like running longer due to the energy?

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I took off the month of December but i'm ready to get back into the routine. I haven't been super sore in a while but I know that first few works outs is going to get me

16. Classic

Classic Member

Bolded: Absolutely

Active ingredients are good for toning and fat loss:

A few:
    CLA [oil for fat loss]
    CoQ10 [good for skin elasticity/toning from fat loss]
    Pinebark [natural thermogenic]
    Green Tea Extract [natural thermogenic]
    Grape Seed Extract [natural thermogenic]
    Raspberry Keytones [good for fat loss]

Amino acids: L-Glutamine, L-Arginine, Beta-Alanine, L-Isolucine/leucine etc all help with stamina during the work out to prevent muscle loss and pre-empt the recovery process.

My work outs [lil cardio/mostly weights] are first thing in the AM on an empty stomach and I've found this formula especially beneficial for fat loss and endurance through the workout without muscle catabolism.

This stuff isn't overly potent and works well when taken twice per day combined with a reduced calorie diet.

The GNC I shop at gives me 30% off. Just ask for the samples first and i'm sure they'd hook you up. I'd only recommend to somebody to supplement an already active lifestyle looking for a lil fat loss edge from their workouts.

17. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Ah, I see. I don't think it's for me as I'm trying to get out of my sedentary lifestyle.

I'm a bit skinny fat so I'm confused on whether I want to cut, or clean bulk. Any recommendations? If I run I'll obviously lose weight, but I don't want to destroy muscle mass. I currently only have access to a treadmill, and a dumbbell set.

Also, does anyone know what type of diet a skinny fat person should get on? If I go into a calorie deficit, doesn't that really negatively affect me if I lift?

18. SK34

SK34 Member

Is it good to work out in an empty stomach?

19. Classic

Classic Member

I think it would be good for you. The amino acids isolucene and luceine prevent muscle catabolism while doing cardio/working out in an elevated heart rate zone as quickly as you'd experience without their presence. My comment on active lifestyle means you should be engaging in regular excercise/activity and taking this potentially as an aid---not be taking this alone expecting to see results.

Per your question, tough to diagnose without knowing you. Best thing I guess is to clean the diet some and just make a commitment to being more active. If you're fat skinny, probably add some weights a couple times a week to whatever cardio you're doing or some combo workout like a P90x like Texx mentions. Diet will be key though.

I have found for my body type it is exceptionally beneficial but need amino acids present to get through it. I actually take a couple scoops of just BCAAs + cardio cuts.

I'd recommend working out first thing in AM on an empty stomach to anyone who is any body type other than an ectomorph.

20. SK34

SK34 Member

ALright, I'm gonna try that tomorrow.
    I'm gonnna start lifting again next week but this week i'm just doing cardio and abs so I'll workout on an empty stomach and see how it feels.

Also, is Protein Shake supposed to be taken before or after workouts?