1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets need SOME midrange game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htwnbandit, Dec 29, 2013.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It seems average when you put it that way.

1 person likes this.
  2. YallMean

YallMean Member

I think the bigger problem than our offense is defense consistency and poise. Our offense is more often being OK than nights like tonight when shots are not falling. We have tendency to rush on offense and not play good D when things are not going out way. Toughness, maturity, championship quality however you call it is lacking.

3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you....that's all I'm saying. We need some one behind Harden who can bring some energy.

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I was being generous!;)

5. Chris Jent MVP

Because Rockets ball movement was too slow, or nonexistent on most plays. Thats what happens when you're tired.

Plus, OKC is one of the top defenses in the league. Tired legs + great defense = owned.

It doesn't mean the Rockets philosophy is flawed. It means they need practice.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Which shot do you expect to hit more consistently? I hate juwan Howard those are the dark days but his shot is more consistent. As a player you pick your sweet spots with the midrange game and it really helps your offense. I can say this having played since I was 9. Never got too much out of chucking away from 3 even though I could not them down at a high clip. Standing there open from 3? That's a good shot, I don't have anything against that, that is why I am also a supporter of the inside out offense where your players get open looks, but even then you need a midrange game.

Going to your point about which is easier to defend, never mind space, just look at this from a logical pov back from when you used to or do play... If you are playing legit D on your opponent which shot is harder. A contested 3 or contested midrange shot? Knowing that it's harder to knock it down that way and that my opponent mostly shoots 3s I can just crowd him and force him to take bad shots. Sure he'll make one sooner or later, but meanwhile the offense is in total disarray, the momentum of the game shifts. When your shot if off from 3, you feel like your being suffocated. The midrange game gives you that breather, because at the sweet spots players can hit them at a very high %, using their iconic "off the glass" or fade when contested. There is a reason that someone hitting a fadeaway 3 is a big deal, because it is a very difficult shot, while a normal fadeaway midrange is normal for elite players.

The 3pt shot doesn't have the same consistency unless it is within the flow of the offense. I'm making this claim based on watching some of the best offenses over many years, I can't find statistical evidence for this because it is one of those things that is difficult to quantify. The game isn't designed to be played solely from one or two places on the floor, the teams that have a versatile offense, are the best which isn't a surprise.

Don't make the argument from the standpoint of a wide open 3 and a wide open midrange shot, interpret it in the way we see it every game, where opponents guard you. Players like mj and Kobe are some of the greatest to ever play and extremely versatile because they have an elite midrange game they can always goto.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Two things I absolutely hate:
    That out of control, get it all back , up the tempo mentality when things are not going well. This usually leads to TO and rushed O and compounds the woes on the defensive end. A good PG may address this.

Harden's staring down ISO and then giving up with less than 4 ticks on the shot clock, with absolutely no movement.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It means they need rest. 8 games in 11 days. Their most difficult stretch of the season.

9. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

^typed that out on my phone sorry for the typos.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Did either of have a better eFG% from mid-range than the current league eFG%3 average? I absolutely do not know. Just asking

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Not a problem dude. Not a problem.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

Ok, who on this team you want to modify his game to take more midrange shots? Harden and Lin? Garcia, Cassipi, Brooks? What is the problem are we so animated at?

13. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Thanks, this is what I am trying to say, I just happened to say it in a less effective and more text heavy way.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They still shoot a lot of mid-range shots so they must be lazy. Stupid lazy Miami and their mid-range shots. Morey would blow that team up right, JTR?

15. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

it is and would like the rockets to play more post like the older rockets did especially when the 3's aren't going down.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

An interesting question. From a stats standpoint I do not know how to approach the question without a ton of mind numbing work. If I can think of a work around I will get an answer.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's a pretty poor argument.

My argument for including more mid-range shots is to create a team that is much harder to guard. A team that can create a quality shot from anywhere on the court is going to be a lot harder to guard.

I think it's lunacy to argue against shooting wide-open mid-range shots which is a great shot in basketball. I'd see a guard shoot a wide open 15 foot jumper inside the FT circle then a 3 point shot. I mean, you are comparing a 60%+ shot against a 40% shot. What are people smoking here? Makes no sense at all.

The great basketball teams can hurt you anywhere on the floor. We are a pretty good basketball team definitely in the top 7, but not a great one - not in the same class as SA, OKC, Ind, or Miami.

Oh, and no one please talk about beating SA twice in the regular season :rolleyes:

18. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Yea same here. I'm looking forward to reading this thread tomorrow as we have some great stat guys on this board. Your work is greatly appreciated :grin:.

19. Chris Jent MVP

If they had a power player inside like Howard, they might end up with less midrange shots than the Rockets.

20. Chris Jent MVP

a 60% midrange shot is worth EXACTLY the same as the 40% 3-pointer. They both equal 120 points per 100 shots.

Except, nobody shoots 60% from midrange. You answered your own question right there.

1 person likes this.