1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Royce White says he's ready to play for NBA team. Anxiety was blown out of proportion.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rofflesaurus, Dec 29, 2013.

1. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_24809813/former-minnesota-prep-star-royce-white-has-an

His frank discussions earlier this year about his struggles put the story front and center, but, somewhat curiously, White now says he feels that "the anxiety story got blown out of proportion."

He explained: "The media shaped it like I'm this anxious kid and I need all this special help, but it wasn't about that. It was about creating a policy for people who have mental health disorders."

Among other things, he said, he never refused to fly, but rather, he insisted that the teams let him travel by bus when possible (he made several trips by plane while with the 76ers). Nor, he said, does he typically feel anxious while he is playing, only beforehand and at odd moments he cannot always predict.

He is not cured, he said, but rather "very aware of my triggers."

The biggest of these is his obsessive-compulsive tendency, which strikes when he feels things are spinning out of control.

"Being disorganized makes me really anxious," he said.

His house was so clean, so devoid of mess or clutter, that it was as if no one lived there at all -- let alone a 22-year-old with a wife and two small children, ages 2 and 6 months. The three of them were upstairs somewhere, White said, and certainly no noise gave them away; the only sign of children was a pair of tiny sneakers by the door and a plastic basketball hoop that came up to about White's waist in the living room.

White's own possessions are in strict order. His clothes are organized by "brands and color schemes, the way they would in the store," he said.

His extensive DVD selection is alphabetized, according to a system he devised to deal with the vexing question of movies beginning with "The." Under his scheme, "The Goonies" goes with the T's, because "The" is integral to the title; "The Great Debaters," about a college debate team, goes with the G's, because "The" is ancillary (it makes sense to him).

Unlike many professional sports players consumed to the point of tunnel vision about their sports, White has a constellation of nonsports interests. There is the clothing line he and his wife, a former model, are planning to set up. There is his Twitter account, in which he provides words of inspiration and random musings to more than 445,000 followers and responds to abuse with the hashtag, #BeWell. There is his charitable foundation, Anxious Minds, and the new Royce White Mental Health Institute that just broke ground in Houston. There is his record label, which has signed one band so far. (He writes music as a hobby, he said.)

He also watches as many as three movies a day in his house's specially designed cinema, which is decorated with old movie posters, and he has written five screenplays throughout the years in his spare time. At least one of them is a complex thriller, and White described the plot in vivid detail before saying that he was not yet ready for it to be made public.

White said of many athletes: "They have to eat, breathe and sleep the sport, and a lot of times that leaves them ill-prepared for life outside the sport. I aspire to do other things, and I have my own dreams aside from sports as well as within sports."

As a child in Minnesota, he said, he played basketball alone and imagined he was someone else -- "I would be Michael Jordan and pass it to myself, and then I would be Scottie Pippen," he said. But he concluded that he could never be as good as they are.

"I never wanted to be the greatest basketball player in the world," he said. Still, he was named Minnesota's Mr. Basketball in 2009 as a high school player. And when he played for Iowa State during the 2011-2012 season, White led the team in points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocked shots. He was named the Big 12 newcomer of the year.

White says it is important to remember that most people never make it to the NBA, and the ones who do are likely to play there only for five or six years.

"You look at all the people who make it to the NBA and become great players, and then look at all the people who failed and what happened to them -- they get on drugs, they go to jail, they die," he said. "I'm talking about the seventh-grade kid, that's all he aspired to, and when he didn't make the seventh-grade traveling team because it was too competitive, he joined the local gang."

White parted company with his old agent, Andrew Vye of ASM Sports, some months ago (reached by phone, Vye refused with some vehemence to talk about his former client). He has a new agent, George Bass of AAI Sports, and says he is ready to get back in the game.

"I'm a free agent, I'm here, I'm ready to play, and I want to play," he said. "I have a lot to offer a team. I'm 22; I've never been injured; I still haven't gotten a chance to prove what I can do on the court."

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He wants another contract.

1 person likes this.
  3. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Lol he is so desperate. No one wants him. He isn't great enough as a talent to warrant all that baggage.

4. NotChandlerParsons

Sure, Royce has never been injured. Just like Jeff Tarpinian.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good luck to any team that signs him. :p

6. skyline07

skyline07 Member

its too late for this guy....he broke my heart

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He had ample opportunity to show he's committed to having an NBA career, and he squandered it. Maybe there's a team out there who will invite him to training camp or to their D-league team. But he'll have to drop the crusade and just be a basketball player.

8. Chris Jent MVP

Is he still eligible for D-League? Sign him for mimum and send him to Vipers.

9. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Why is this POS in the GARM? :mad:

10. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Money running low on the sex parties:

[​IMG]

11. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

First 2 years is usually without players consent as a designated NBA player.

But signing him for the minimum on a NBA contract isn't necessary. If he wants to prove he can play in the NBA through the D-League, then he can sign with a D-League team and get a call up.

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Forget that turd, he will never learn.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

A wife? Since when?

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

what a fool..

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

well isn't he special...

and the sanctimony continues

16. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

He ran out of money, so now he's changing his story.

1 person likes this.
  17. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

[youtube]KjmjqlOPd6A[/youtube]

:grin:

18. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Sorry bro, you had your chances. Just go to Europe where you can travel to games by train or car.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hey, go to the Vipers without a contract for the rest of the season. Be a good boy. Fly all the time with the team. Don't miss games or tweet. If he does that, then give him an invite to next year's summer camp if his play warrants it. Play in the summer league. Keep working on his game.

Make an apology to the team and the owners and he can have some renewable 10 day contracts and then possibly the rookie minimum for a year.

20. Chris Jent MVP

I still feel sorry for the guy. I have met talented people with mental problems. Its sad.

I still like him better than T-Will.