1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien emerges as Houston Texans No. 1 target for new head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by platypus, Dec 22, 2013.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

They like him because he's not Lovie Smith (or Ken Whisenhunt or any other retread). :p

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

why is the board head over heels again? serious question. why is he getting a lot of support?

3. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Thats one reason, the other I would say is the fact of what he's not rex ryan.

He's a great coach. What he's done at penn state with limited scholarships is simply amazing.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...exans-agree-to-interview?campaign=Twitter_atl

Penn State coach Bill O'Brien's potential return to the NFL is picking up steam.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL Network's "Around the League Live" that O'Brien is one of the Houston Texans' top candidates to fill their coaching job, according to sources familiar with the team's process. O'Brien and the Texans agreed to have an interview after Christmas, which means it's already happened or it will happen in the near future.

League executives view O'Brien, the former New England Patriots offensive coordinator, as a very real possibility to leap from college back to the NFL. Rapoport notes that O'Brien's NFL buyout was reduced from $13 million to $6.5 million in March. That news was made public in June.

It is surprising from the outside that an NFL team would be so willing to pay a big buyout, but $6.5 million is a relatively small sum for an NFL owner. Rapoport reported that Lovie Smith has already interviewed for the Texans job.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Bc he's the opposite of Kubiak. In other words, he makes changes when they need to be made, whether it's with players, play calling, in-game adjustments, etc...

6. conquistador#11

the only thing i remember is his shouting match with NE qb tim brody. guy is fearless

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's the perfect mix of not a re-tread, and the type of college coach that will usually get a shot somewhere.

I'm on board.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This really strikes me as typical media echo chamber stuff.

O'Brien and Lovie Smith were the first couple of media speculation names. Smith's name went out when he did the interview. A national correspondent with nothing real to report can fill a column by dripping O'Brien's name.

You'll notice that the author doesn't claim to have specific inside information, just general "league executives" think O'Brien might generally be attractive to NFL teams. Great newsflash, Rapoport. Next up, Rapoport speaks with meteorologists, who indicate that if you go for a walk in a rainstorm, you might get wet.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Keep in mind that he interviewed with Cleveland and Philly last year and turned around and decided to stay in Happy Valley. And it's not like those teams had decided on somebody else. He made his announcement just a few hours after the Eagles interview and Chip Kelly hadn't even interviewed yet.

So, we're interested and he's coming in for an interview. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's already decided to leave for the NFL if he's offered a job.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Why does everyone think Gruden is so great? He isn't a very good talent evaluator, he's somewhat of a Nazi, and his in game decision making was questionable too.

Now he is a damn good game planner, schemer, motivator, but I wouldn't hire Jon Gruden and give him full control. IMO he needs a GM.

Cowher I would almost worry that the game has passed him by. What can he do defensively in today's NFL?

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

In my mind, what makes it different is just a few days ago, his NFL buyout was reduced to $6.5 million after being over $19 million.

He's very likely decided to leave PSU for the NFL this year.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think Bill would be a great coach in Houston, but he also needs a new right tackle, quarterback, LB, FS, etc etc. The burden is still on Rick Smith.

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

And that's not a good thing. Smith's area of expertise is supposedly the secondary and look at the parade of turds that he has obtained since he's been here.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Texans have produced booms and busts. You hit big on a few guys, but you surround them with turds and it starts to show. They need NFL caliber talent 1 through 53.

It starts with the right QB and I for one think Manziel will be a better pro than Bridgewater. Bridgewater does nothing to excite me. He has good mechanics but I fail to see what seperates him from the average NFL QBs. I don't see uncanny pocket awareness or a laser arm.

15. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

so what is the thought process in a bill o'brien/texans interview.. is he trying to sell himself to the texans or are the texans trying to sell themselves to bill??

16. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Well we reached out to him, he agreed to interview, and now we're here.....

17. Pete the Cheat

Agreed. Was forced to read up on him after a bargument. Me gusta

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Who knows at this point, but my guess, Bill has other suitors too. The Texans need to do more impressing.

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I don't disagree with you. I wonder if Bortles might be the pick since he fits that Flacco, Roethlisberger mould. Durability is pretty important for a QB and I wonder if Bridgewater, or Manziel would hold up.

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

He's on TV.