1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien emerges as Houston Texans No. 1 target for new head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by platypus, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I feel the need to state the obvious.

Every coaching candidate will order the list in their own way according to their own criteria.

Some will have Detroit as their most preferred destination. Some will have Houston as their most preferred destination.

If you look hard enough, you might even be able to find a coach that thinks Dallas is the best job... maybe... if you look really hard.

Coaches often have humongous egos. Someone out there probably thinks they are the only guy who bring the Raiders back to the top, and they are lost fantasizing how awesome it will be when they do what nobody else can.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If I were an up and coming offensive head coach, I'd more than likely prefer to draft a franchise quaterback with the number one pick that I could groom in my own ways to play in my own system. I'd choose that over an undisciplined team that has an inconsistent quarterback who's already established.

That's just me though. You never know how these guys think.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

There is definitely something happening with Bill O'brien.

Report: Munchak, Schiano have inquired about Penn State job
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/24/report-munchak-schiano-have-inquired-about-penn-state-job/

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

5. J Hard

J Hard Member

And that's why we are habitual losers.

6. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Houstons saving grace, with regards to the Colts, the Colts probably have the worst GM/talent evaluator in the division.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Because they won't hire blowhard like Rex Ryan? Really?

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

B O'B has been my choice from the beginning. Although as many have mentioned the NE coach's tree hasn't been the most successful, B O'B has some of the traits I've been looking for in a HC...

- Came into a difficult situation/environment and rapidly turned it around... I don't think any football program has had a more tragic and serious of set of events occur then what took place at Penn State; by all accounts B O'B has turned that program around and brought some excitement to Penn St football

- Adapt, adapt. adapt... something I learned in the military that is key to success is your ability to adapt to the ever changing environment and find ways to exploit or manipulate the changes to your advantage. Again, this appears to be trait of O'B's to figure out what the opponent is doing differently and countering that move. Scripted play books were en-vogue during the Walsh West Coast era, but those tendencies have been studied and overcome by modern day defenses (IMHO)

- Accountability. Enuff said.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

These were the two issues that sunk Kubiak : the inability or unwillingness to adapt and waiving accountability for pet players or coaches.

10. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

This has probably been mentioned a hundred times already but I'm too lazy to go through the thread. Firing Kubiak and Marciano was only part of the problem. I don't care who is the next coach this team can not keep Rick Smith. His drafting outside of the 1st round has been awful.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree. That's why I'm hopeful our next coach has those attributes!

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The point is, where's there's smoke there's fire. For Penn State to be floating trial balloons, with two active NFL coaches no less, there must be behind the scenes negotiations going on with O'brien. And, since the Texans are the only team in an active search it's probably with the Texans.

no facts or information just guessing from experience

Munchak is rumored to be on the outs with the Titans (Bud probably would have resisted with the face of the franchise) State would be a win/win with Munch.

13. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Said on <a href="https://twitter.com/NFL_ATL">@NFL_ATL</a> Live: Penn St. coach Bill O’Brien is high on <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> radar. The plan between the 2 sides was to have an interview post-XMas</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/416346293321998336">December 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

IT'S HAPPENING...

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

From Rotoworld:

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

18. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Detroit has an enticing roster, but hopefully our location and owner gives us an edge.

19. Fantasma Negro

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/26/report-bill-obrien-will-interview-for-texans-job/

Its happening!!!...

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

People seem to be really high on this guy, but I don't know anything about him.

But if CF supports his possible hire, I do too!