1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien emerges as Houston Texans No. 1 target for new head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by platypus, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This is Clutchfans, take your actual logic and go somewhere that allows it. :grin:

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

I'm down for Bill O'Brien...

This would be a slam dunk hire.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Definitely my favorite candidate, personally.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would hope they would wait until the end of the season.
    I think it is too early to make a decision

Rocket River
    Obviously Lovie was a Rooney Rule interview . . . if they hiring this quickly.
    Would seem they had the decision already made

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

Lol, funny stuff right thar! Kinda like Dave Chappel playing the blind black guy who was the head kkk member.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Or being smart - the one good thing about firing your coach before the season ends is you get first crack at talking to the top coaching candidates.

7. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Nah, Lovie was readily available. Other coach still has a job to do among other complications. I don't think it's more to it.

8. hairyme

hairyme Member

I was at Penn State before and after O'Brien came onboard...

Before, during Paterno years, the team was just unwatchable to me. It was vintage style football, but with a bunch of rural PA doughboys running into each other at the line of scrimmage--no real passing game to speak of. I'd be forced into watching these games with others and we were never competitive against any ranked teams or other big schools.

Once O'Brien came on, he instantly transformed that offense into something New England-like: quick-paced (comparatively at least) offense, strong intermediate passing game and a lot of tight end action (please note euphemism.). The offense was fun to watch AND very effective in the few games I watched in his first season.

But uhh I didn't really watch much more than a few games here and there, and I am often wrong about uhh everything, so while I think O'Brien could be a good hire, I'm not really guaranteeing any success either...

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

lol #1 - chris baldwin claiming to have sources with the texans

lol #2 - all the northeasterners/PSU fans in the comments section

edit: THIS is seriously interesting though, Schefty can do no wrong.

#29 DonnyMost, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

SkyrimOwnsAll is that you?

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You can't go wrong with either O'Brien or Dylan Murphy.

12. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/22/report-reduced-buyout-for-bill-obrien-could-open-door-to-nfl-job/

The buyout is pretty low. Especially compared to his previous years buyout number.

I'd jump all over it as soon as the season ended. He's also currently trying to find a way to lower his buyout clause even more so that his path is that much more open to the NFL.

With all the info coming out on how he felt wronged by the additional punishments to Penn State and that he felt the trustees, AD, and president all lied to him, He wants to bolt, and bolt quickly.

13. conquistador#11

texans won't hire a hispanic coach so the more likely candidate will be white or black. =/

lol some of the posts. As long as he can get the job done, i don't care what or who he is just get him over here.

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Baldwin is a hack. He may want to rethink his schtick of writing incendiary fanboy pieces if he ever wants anyone to consider him as anything even approaching a credible journalist.

15. Buck Turgidson

No Jack Del Rio?

16. Fantasma Negro

Sounds good but what's his defensive philosophy?

17. 45souf

45souf Member

Lets say that he is our coach of choice, Who takes over fro Wade? Does wade leave? Does he stay?

18. drewd17

drewd17 Member

Wade's gone, whoever comes in at HC they will have a network tree to find a OC/DC at

19. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I would like Bill O'Brien as the head coach but recently I've been leaning towards Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator for the Cardinals.
    I think he would do a great job, and technically, he does have head coaching experience (interim head coach for the Dolphins for 3 games).

20. 45souf

45souf Member

There are reports that Rex Ryan is going to get fired after the season. Would he be a good choice? IMO, Bowles is a good choice as well.