1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien emerges as Houston Texans No. 1 target for new head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by platypus, Dec 22, 2013.

1. platypus

platypus Member

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

man i hope we get this guy

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I've heard lots of tv/radio guys think he's the next big thing. Pretty impressive what he's done so far after the Sandusky fallout.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Everyone likes him. I don't like him. So he'll probably be good. Belichick's coaching tree sucks man.

5. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I would be surprised. That's a big buyout plus still got to pay on kubiaks contract. Besides if lovie smith really interviewed for 7hrs and they are keeping in touch with him it sounds as if he is their guy.

6. platypus

platypus Member

I'm sure 7 hours is standard for an interview to decide an NFL head coach. The article also states that Mcnair has no problem with the buy out.

This is a good read

http://www.offtackleempire.com/2012/6/7/3068907/b1g-2012-bill-obrien-to-return-penn-states-offense-from-antiquity

The guy was the OC when brady threw for over 5000+ yards and he just gets it.

Here's a great TLDR by a redditor "TripStep" in describing O'Brian's style.

The idea of on the fly adjustments is alien to me as a texans fan. I'm salivating at the possible combination of Obrian with Bridgewater as both possess great football minds.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How many of those guys took over a college program in national disarray, and got them playing respectable?

I think going from NFL assistant, to college HC, to NFL HC has some proven track records for success.... much more than simply going from college HC to NFL HC.

Just like any other job, the more training one does... the more qualified they are. Being a NFL assistant, and a college HC (at a program under the microscope) is a pretty good pedigree to have, regardless of whichever "coaching tree" somebody comes from.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don't know a whole lot about either one of them but I think id be pretty pumped about a Bridgewater/Obrien offseason.

9. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

O'Brien is a great head coach, he knows how to coach up qb's

10. basketballholic

It just feels right.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Texans won't hire a black coach Bill O'brien will get the job.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I like O'Brien, but since when does "CultureMap" have "sources" that don't go to the Chronicle or higher profile NFL reporters first?

13. newAge_Rockets

Well O'Brien has been a hot head coaching candidate for any NFL openings over the past year. He meets McNair's criteria, and he's ready to jump to the next level.

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

Without Gruden or Cowher as possibilities, he has emerged as my choice. Keep hearing nothing but good things. An up and comer, but that buyout is huge.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah..a team that has a black GM won't hire a black coach. Sure.

I'm hoping the decision isn't about race. I don't want Lovie because, regardless of his skin color, he reminds me of Gary Kubiak...clock mismanagement, etc. No, thanks. Boring.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Rick Smith is a known racist who hates black people.

17. J Hard

J Hard Member

Idiotic post of the day, goes to you.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I know his brother, and he's a very sharp guy. I'd assume Bill would be cut from the same cloth.

19. MONON

MONON Member

This morning I had the tv on (ESPN or Fox Sports 1 I think) while I was wrapping gifts. Someone mentioned that O'Brien had renegotiated downward his by-out with Penn State for the 2nd time. I wondered why that was news worthy this morning. Now I know.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Harbough brothers like?

Rocket River