1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets Need a Veteran Leader

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Dec 2, 2013.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

One of those no-nonsense, "get your head in the game," vocal guys that everyone respects regardless of his role or pay on the team.

The team has the talent; what they lack is mental consistency and a desire + commitment to performing and winning every night.

Some star players have it in them (Kobe, Garnett, Pierce, CP3, etc.), some players don't, and some players do but that desire doesn't translate well to focus, commitment, and mental strength. I kind of think the Rockets are in the last category.

Past veteran leaders, like Chauncey, Manu, Fisher, and Charles Oakley come to mind. Sometimes it's the coach that does it, like Pop or Zen master (McHale is trying, but it doesn't seem to be enough). These guys weren't the main star on the floor, but were able to keep things on the right track. Heck, can Kevin Willis still play?

#1 crossover, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

harden = carmelo

1 person likes this.
  3. nono

nono Member

The leader was supposed to be Howard.

4. delishman

delishman Member

KG.

Fire this squad up.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Believe it or not, the Harden Soul of this team is Parsons. Dude is gonna get paid

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's not about leadership. It's about depth. As in, we have no depth at the wings. Obviously, it would be nice to have a veteran leader like Battier on this team. But give me a healthy Chase Budinger, a non-descript SF that can shoot, and we would easily survive a Parsons injury.

7. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

8. Raven

Raven Member

I agree with you, preferably a hard ass who has won it all, but can still back it up on the court.

9. Zergling

Zergling Member

Marcus Camby

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is a good point, they are all still learning how to win, would be nice to have a player that already knows HOW to win and has the respect earned with it - even if it was a once great player - team needs a leader.

DD

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How about a superstar in his 10th season who took his team to the NBA Finals?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I guess we need SVG as coach then too.

DD

13. DocRock

DocRock Member

#1 Honestly is he a leader? No trolling.
    #2 That Finals appearance only happened because of KG's knee injury.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

I do want to point out that that Orlando team had Rafer Alston. You can't ignore that kind of veteran leadership and intangibles he brings to the team. Something that Lin, Beverley, Brooks cannot possibly match.

Did you see what happened to Orlando when they went back to Nelson in the finals? Exactly.

:p

15. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

That would be an upgrade.

I mean, most of you would be ecstatic if we could get a Damian Lillard to replace Jeremy Lin. An upgrade is an upgrade.

But when it comes to McHale, we're not too keen on an upgrade. SVG, JVG, George Karl, Lionel Hollins (albeit he's not a good fit as he doesn't think much of stats) are clear upgrades. Brett Brown, Mike Buldenhozer would've been upgrades. Unless you're remotely close to championship contender status, you need to upgrade. The coach shouldn't be immune.

I think it was JVG who said that some star players are natural leaders. Others aren't. Dwight isn't, TMac wasn't, and Harden isn't. You either need veteran players that command respect to lead, or you need a Coach that can lead and command accountability. Is McHale that coach?

16. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

I agree completely. Our most veteran player (Garcia) made it to the playoffs for the first time with the rest of the guys last year.

17. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

i didnt realise harden played 10 years.

18. NotChandlerParsons

Rafer's still available! So is Stephon Marbury. Maybe we can get Allen Iverson...

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more with OP. I don't believe this is a knee jerk response after a bad loss.

Someone that takes no BS on the court or in the locker room. I believe this person has to be able to get it done on the court. I don't believe it has to be a superstar.

There will be changes to this team, not sure where of course.

Can't be too disappointed in the start of this team, they are still finding their way. I just believe that this team lacks true leadership. There will be change/s made eventually IMO.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Pretty sure Camby was supposed to be that guy.