1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Asik Trade Demand Doubles The Trouble For Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 15, 2013.

1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I understand why he's demanding a trade.

I abhor the fact that it's affecting his play. This prima donna **** makes the NBA annoying as hell.

Do your job, jerk. You're getting paid enough.

2. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

Good luck getting a first rounder for him.

LOL @ some of these trade proposals you guys are throwing out there.

3. New

I love Boozer's game. He is a good fit for us.

4. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

6. afk

afk Member

I still say he's going to Philly. Morey giving Hinkie hand-me-downs. :grin:

7. daherro^_^

daherro^_^ Member

aren't drummond and monroe both centers yet they play together, how does it work for the pistons?

8. Omer

Omer Member

Monroe has an offensive game and is a decent FT shooter.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Okay, hear me out, even though I've been known to have lame basketball takes.

Morey and McHale have a conversation. Showcase Asik for a number of games, and then bench him. Morey and Asik have a conversation, kind of a come-to-Jesus meeting. Asik gets the grim picture, but he wants to go get some playing time.

With Morey's blessing, Asik "demands a trade."

I know the conventional wisdom is that this hurts the Rockets' leverage, but it could be exactly the timing and messaging that wizard Morey wanted.

If a lot of teams think "the time is now" to get Asik, we could actually do okay in a competitive trade environment.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why are you so down on Asik's trade value? The dude's a legit 7 foot center who is young, cheap a d has no health issues. I'd be surprised if a first round pick is alk we can get from him.

12. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

13. Lihao

Lihao Member

really? he's easily top 10 center in the league, unless Morey screw up, there's no way we can only get a first rounder out of him.

14. torocan

torocan Member

They would do that for multiple reasons.

1) When you're tanking your #1 priority is to accumulate assets. Asik and JV are both high value assets they can trade for another player or picks, as well as insurance in case of injury.

2) JV isn't anywhere near fully developed. If they get too many wins for a viable tank, Asik gives them superior defense and depth to make a push to a play off spot. Remember, it only takes 35ish wins to make the play offs in the East. Morey proved that you don't *have* to tank to rebuild ALL the time.

3) According to JV's draft reports he actually has a bit of a mid-range game. If that can be developed the potential for a slide to a mid-range 4 is actually possible.

4) Asik is a much more mobile Center than JV. His ability to defend all the way to the 3 point line can cover a LOT of defensive warts that JV can't cover, but can only do so in shorter spurts.

5) Toronto is overloaded with higher salary contracts. Having Asik AND JV on the roster gives them the ability to bundle them with a player like Gay or Derozan to get a favorable package back that still fits in terms of salary.

So while it may not seem like an ideal fit, Ujirir may be looking at this trade on multiple levels. Not just "how does this affect my current roster".

15. Yellow

Yellow Member

Exactly, player management has never been strong under Morey and McHale in his short stint has already rubbed several key players the wrong way. Not a good sign and I hope it really doesn't affect the locker room too much. Bring back Camby asap if so!

16. Rocket_Man_2.0

17. farmer_jays

farmer_jays Member

Horford for Asik

18. Lihao

Lihao Member

interesting

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9978382/omer-asik-trade-request-denied-houston-rockets-again

19. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Different when your asset doesn't even want to play 1 minute a night.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I don't doubt that there were discussions about how this should go with Asik's agent. If you want to get the ball rolling but not appear desperate having the player "request" the trade is certainly a way to do it.

IF Jones, Casspi and/or Motiejunas could could be credible at the 4 I would love to keep Asik around, for a fresh rotation at C come playoff time and for insurance against a Dwight injury.