1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Collusion or good strategy?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by FishBulb913, Nov 6, 2013.

1. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Ok I need yalls opinion on this issue that has come up in my fantasy league, to me it's collusion but a few in my league say it's just being strategic.

I have Aaron Rodgers and no back up QB, I also have the best record in the league and thus am last in the waiver wire to start each week.

Once Rodgers got hurt, one of the owners decided it would be wise to take the best QBs available, which I expected and completely understand. But here is where I see collusion, they then started texting every other team in the league trying to convince them to do the same, so when I woke up this morning all 6 QBs I put a claim in for had been taken lol.

Am I just butt hurt because I lost Rodgers or is this collusion?

2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Each owner is legitimately acting in the best interest of his team.

3. FishBulb913

I have no problem with owners individually deciding to do this, I just take issue with the lobbying that was done.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yeah, I still don't see anything wrong with it.

Let's say that you're playing the #4 seed this week, and you've accidentally left the KC defense in your starting lineup. On Sunday morning, the #5 seed emails you to let you know that KC has a Bye week. After all, it's in his best interest for you to beat the #4 seed.

Would you consider that collusion?

5. FishBulb913

No because it's a friendly league so we bounce ideas off each other often and ask for advice from others, but to rally a group together to try to hurt one team seemed a little much in my opinion but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyways, I didn't ask the commish to do anything about it, just going to deal with it but wanted some opinions.

6. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Might be time to trade for a QB. Who else do you have on your team?

7. FishBulb913

Trading is closed already, my team is still pretty stacked

RB-Lynch, Forte, Bell, Bernard, Miller
    WR-Green, Jackson, Decker
    TE-Jimmy Graham
    D- Niners

Had to pick up Flacco for my QB, put in a claim for Locker who was released yesterday, will clear waivers in the morning, I'm up to 3rd on the waiver wire now so hopefully I get lucky.

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

This is definitely not collusion. It sounds like you guys are pretty close. I'm never behind far enough to consider screwing over the best players... I have taken players that my friends have said they are interested in in order to screw them over. Is Keenum still available?

9. FishBulb913

Keenum is not available unfortunately. My options are basically Flacco, Locker(if someone else didnt already claim him), Ponder, Glennon, McCown or Seneca Wallace

10. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Yea, that's just sound strategy. I prefer the continual rolling list waivers where you drop to the bottom each time you make a claim. It deter's this sort of thing, and deciding when the best time to spend a high waiver priority each week adds an interesting extra element to the waiver process.

11. FishBulb913

So even rallying other teams to join in is sound strategy? Man I guess I'm on the wrong side of this one haha.

12. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Also, go with Mike Glennon if he's available.

Foles, Keenum, etc are guys they would obviously grab to block you, but Glennon has been overlooked for someone who's produced as consistently as he has through 5 starts. Might have slipped through. He's been getting better each week, and does things you love to see:

At least 1 td in all 5 starts. 40+ attempts in 4 of the 5. Will add 10-20 yards on the ground each game.

Get him if he's there.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

strategy is fine with me. i'd be annoyed if it happened, but i wouldn't say it was against any rules

14. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

It's bush–league, and I wouldn't like it either, but it's well within the given rules. My league starts someone at the bottom after each waiver claim. It makes it this sort of thing hard to pull off, even if there were enough teams ahead of you in priority willing to use their position on players they don't need.

I reserve collusion for things like "last place guy sends best players to 6th place guy for peanuts" scenario.

15. AB423

AB423 Member

It is kind of messed up but it isn't wrong. You should feel good that they are threatened by your team. At the beginning of this season I vetoed a trade because it was of my best interest, but now I'm never going to veto.. I think everybody should just worry about their own team instead of others..

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Makes no sense. A team's strength is relative to other teams in the league. If another team improves due to a lopsided trade, your team gets weaker. You should care if your team gets weaker...

17. AB423

AB423 Member

If your team gets weaker because other teams are benefiting from a lopsided trade then find an idiot that will make a lopsided trade that benefits you, or learn to draft better..

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

You're screwed for this week, and it's especially lame that there's a trade deadline when there's still plenty of time to retool a roster and make a run at the playoffs.

But every other team has just wasted a roster spot to hold another QB, probably when they had a backup already. Not only that, they had to drop someone to do it, and now the wire should be fatter with other players . Lastly, this will be a hard strategy to keep up for the rest of the season. It will be hard to roster 2-3 QBs and 2 team defenses since they won't be dropping Seattle, Cinci, or Dallas if they're picked up.

19. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Eh, if that guy is picking and choosing who he makes lopsided trades with, it's almost collusion since no deal he makes with anyone would make any sense. If your commish is the type to get involved, this would be one of those situations where they would ask both parties the reasoning behind making the trade. Trades are just frustrating, especially for Houstonian leagues where everyone tries to pull off Morey trades where they benefit and you get jobbed.

Yes a team can run a team however they want to. But blatantly lopsided trades show an owner who isn't trying to win or improve their roster. If you can't trust every team to try to compete, you kick them out.

20. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

Man I feel your pain in this situation. Texting others to pick up a qb or trying to control the actions of other teams is shady. It seems like David stern would do. But I guess in the end they didn't break any rules. Hope things work out in your favor in the playoffs.

Personally, I never tell a certain manager they need to change their lineup due to byes. I believe that if I do this for one team then that means I have to do this for every team even the one that plays against me.