1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

League is on Notice with Asik and Moving Screens

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheDr34m, Nov 6, 2013.

?

Have You Noticed This Moving Screen Issue with Asik and Are You at All Concerned?

1. Yes I noticed, and am very concerned about these moving screens going forward.

19.8%
  2. I noticed, but not too worried.

59.4%
  3. I didn't notice it but it is a concern.

10.4%
  4. I am oblivious to the world! Ignorance is Bliss!

10.4%
  1. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

It been quite apparent through the first 5 games that the League had quite a discussion over the off season about moving screens being set by bigs and Omer Asik is one of there poster boys they are making an example of.

He is being whistled for about two moving screens a game. I am a little concerned as these are turnovers and can decide a game if called in a late game situation.

Below is an example of the James Harden game winner vs the Spurs last year and if this exact play was ran this year Omer would be called for a moving screen. The slight movement of the hip out towards the man following the ball handler in this case James Harden would be whistled for a moving screen. (see moving screen in video at 0:02 seconds)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ba0kemHNr4I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope the Rockets can get this habit out of Omer's system as soon as possible. But old habits die hard and he still can't catch a bounce pass or any pass for that matter so I am tempering my optimism.

I have included a poll as well stating whether or not you have noticed this also and feel this is a concern going forward.

2. linsomnia

linsomnia Member

I'm sure most everyone has noticed it, it's happening to many big men in the league, not just Omer. I'm not too concerned about it.

3. TheDr34m

There must have been quite a few complaints last year and quite a few tapes involving Asik must have been sent in to the League office.

4. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

The league is calling moving screens against everyone this season. I'm not worried about it. Our team will adjust. And so will Asik.

5. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

it should just be called "The KG"

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If they really cared about moving screens, then the Clippers franchise is in some deep ****.

7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

He's not targeted, all players with that move are being called by the refs. just a new rule the league is trying to emphasis.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Concerned? We are talking about moving screens, gee, just don't move, how hard is for that to be fixed.

9. TheDr34m

The point is that he is not being targeted but Asik having a moving screen issue when setting his screens. Which results in a Houston Rocket turnover and we are masters already in that category. That he needs to work on setting his feet without moving his body.

10. JBar

JBar Rookie

That's what I was thinking. They whopped our butts for sure, but man did they use a lot of uncalled moving screens!

11. DwightHowardQQ

DwightHowardQQ New Member

That is what Asik only can do when attacking...

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Everyone has been moving on their screens, anyway. I hate to mention Monday's game, but watching the Clippers, their big men were constantly moving on their screens. It's always going to be a part of the game. NBA players are too quick and long enough that an "rule following" screen won't be effective on most occasions.

13. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I think the NBA is getting too picky on what constitutes a moving screen. And if they want to really enforce the rule they need to call it more consistently. Too many times their have been calls on the smallest movement and missed calls on the most egregious moving picks.

14. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

This is too true! I don't know how many times I saw Griffin or Jordan more or stick out their butt or and arm to slow down the defender from getting over it. If it was called by the rule book, Griffin and Jordan would never play 15 minutes lol

15. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Moving screens, carry, and delay tech seem to be called consistently and a ton on all the games I've watched so far. It's not a Rockets/players' thing, it's league wide.

16. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

In fact the only time I didn't see it called out of the ordinary from last year was whenever the Clippers had the ball when we played them Monday..... The other 9 teams involved (Rockets x 5 /opponents x 4) seem to be getting a lot of them called. A few of them were probably over-reaction and should not have been called(both benefiting and hurting the Rockets)

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Every year the NBA make up some stuff that they'll "police" and every year it takes about a month before everything reverts back to the usual. The only times the NBA actually stick to their words is if offense benefit from it. i.e. hand check they really did outlaw because let's face it, can't generate artifical Jordans when defenders can put their hands on you.

1 person likes this.
  18. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

You can almost sense when it will be called. One of two scenarios:

Home team with momentum and a call just went against them on the previous possession.

They actually missed a moving screen so the next screen that player sets is whistled almost before the play happens....

19. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

..+1..

20. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

You're right. The officiating from the Clippers' game on Monday was the worst I've see this year. They pretty much got away with carry, moving screens, pretty much whatever they wanted. I was shocked when Blake actually got a call for the moving screen/knee hit on Lin. Calls are getting made, but they still need to work on being consistent and calling it fairly for both teams. We've been at both ends of uneven calls.