1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Foster's vegan diet making him injury prone?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Honey Bear, Nov 4, 2013.

?

?

1. Yes

45.1%
  2. No

54.9%
  1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Vegans can't even have butter which is an important part of the diet and maintaining connective tissue. Meat has all kinds of nutrients and amino acids a contact player would need.

I have never heard of a vegan Rugby player and they are the strongest and healthiest men of all.

2. YaosDirtyStache

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Didn't he stop being a Vegan a few weeks?

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't know if he's even doing that anymore. He was talking last year about how he wasn't a strict vegan and how if he wants some chicken, he eats some chicken.

From over a year ago
    http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...gan-diet/2ee8adab-cd01-44a3-833f-15c92f49e498

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Probably just has issues with his hip function. Ham pulls and back problems are usually a sign of that, since they are on the ends off the hip.

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

how the hell does he get enough protein/dem minerals as a vegan???

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Running backs miss games.

8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

You do realize that they have a professional dietician on staff right?

9. chrisgraham

chrisgraham Member

10. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Him being a running back in the NFL is what's making him injury prone.

11. PointForward

PointForward Member

Yep, arguably the best in the business, Dr. Anding. She gave us a lecture at my medical school and it was awesome. She even touched on the management of vegetarian/vegan athletes (like Foster) and how it is difficult, but absolutely doable. I can assure you Foster was meeting his dietary goals and requirements, and thus wasn't in any disadvantage injury-prone-wise because of his diet. That, however, doesn't change how stupid being a vegan athlete is, and I'm thankful he quit that $h1t.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Does Matt Schaub's meat eating diet make his feet and ligaments brittle?

13. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

This is an ignorant thread. There is a mountain of evidence that a vegan diet is the most healthy diet and a lot of power lifters, boxers etc are going vegan.

14. Nook

Nook Member

If you say so.

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

He hasn't been vegan for over a year.

16. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Yes it would if he was a vegan. Science tells us that it is impossible to get all of the nutrients you need from a vegan diet. Vegans and some misinformed press articles may say different but anybody that really took the time to look in to the actual science would find that the vegan diet is limited. That being said a lot of vegans are healthier than the general public because some of them choose to eat real whole foods instead of processed foods that are the standard american diet. Athletes especially needs a whole source of protein which you can't get no matter how many vegetables and beans you eat.

I thought I heard Andre say in a interview last year that he gave up the vegan diet and started eating meat again.

I understand why people want to be healthy and eat the vegan diet but they really are misinformed about the health benefits of eating meat and saturated fats.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It is extremely difficult to be a Vegan and maintain significant muscle mass. It is certainly healthy, but for a football player not practical. Arian has already admitted he doesn't follow a strict vegan diet. It was never an ethical problem for him, so I'm sure he's getting his protein.

His diet certainly isn't the problem. Having to tote the rock an inordinate number of times is.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

He was a vegan for like 5 weeks a year ago..

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He hasn't been the same since. Veggies are silent killers.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Decades ago this would be an issue but there are plenty of protein sources now for vegans especially one who has as much money and access to dieticians as a pro football player.