1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Article - The Curious Case of Daryl Morey’s Point Guards

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TerryGoldfain, Nov 1, 2013.

1. TerryGoldfain

TerryGoldfain Member

Hi all,

Please let me know if I'm doing something against the rules, but I read the FAQ and saw that there are other threads in this forum on Rockets related articles.

So I just wanted to let you know about a new piece that was published today titled 'The curious case of Daryl Morey’s point guards'.
    If interested, here's the link The curious case of Daryl Morey’s point guards

It's on a new site (about a month old) called The Pick and Roll, and while the writers are from all over the world, the site is based in Australia.

The article starts with a bit of history, going back to the 3 team trade that sent Rafer Alston to Orlando. It goes on to document the various starting point guards that called Houston home, up to and including Patrick Beverley. The writer, then notes,
    The writer, who goes by the handle of mkogav both in his writing and on Twitter, is a Celtics fan, but writes extremely well and knows his basketball:

I'd love to hear what some of the most dedicated members of Red Nation think of the article.

Just so you know, I am associated with the site http://pickandroll.com.au/ but I'm also a huge Rockets fans and this the first of our Rockets articles that made me instantly think that I've got to share it with you guys.

The other recent articles we've published about the Rockets are in my signature. I hope you enjoy reading it and it would be great to hear your opinions :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Your link to the article doesn't work.

http://pickandroll.com.au/daryl-morey-point-guard/

3. TerryGoldfain

TerryGoldfain Member

I messed up the link in the article and clicking it doesn't take you anywhere (this was my first post) but I got it right in the signature.

4. imaginedragons

the NBA is a business, pure and simple. it's quite rare for NBA owners and management to actually prioritize loyalty and character over the chance to get big name stars, to give them a "better" chance for a title.

players may endear themselves to fans for whatever reason, but in the end, that rarely matters when personnel decisions are made.

i guess the thing that sets the Rockets situation apart is how young the point guards mentioned are and how much potential each of them had if allowed to stay the course as starters. but then again, i should add that the NBA is a business where the top brass rarely have patience.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Good review. As the author said.......rent, not buy. I do think the rotation of players will slow just because we are much closer to our goal today than we were a year ago.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised by the following....

Lin is traded or allowed to expire
    Beverley is resigned for a Lowry-esqe contract
    Llull is signed

6. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Current role players will expire (Bev/Parsons excluded, they r here for a long time), but soon we will get MLE with a good amount of years on the contract. The vet min guys will go yearly or every other year, but core should expand (Lin/Asik/Garcia/Casspi will all be gone in two years, while Harden/Howard/Parsons/Bev will be here for the long haul, with a MLE, mini MLE, and one player in the 8-10 mil/y added as core)

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you are a team with a great power forward - what's the most appealing trade.

Asik + Lin
    OR
    Asik + Bev

Hmmmmm. Not sure it's Lin who will be gone.

8. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

There's a fine line between wanting a winning team and burning too many players to the point that guys don't want to sign here. Luckily, that hasn't happened, but I doubt anyone wants to be treated like Kyle Lowry and Luis Scola after giving Houston everything.

I think Morey has done a commendable job. I get the appeal. He's smart and makes moves that are somewhat unexpected with big payoffs.

However, as much as I love my Rockets, I think a lot of us fail with objectivity in assessing the extent of "Morey's Greatness." I'm not disputing that Harden and Howard's signing are the biggest since Tmac and Yao, but we have to consider everything that happened before our team became a legitimate Finals threat.

It's not like Morey put this together quickly. We've have gone through so many consecutive seasons wit mediocre finishes, along with numerous trade deadlines where Morey gutted our team and traded for players that, well, were TRASH in comparison to what we already have.

Look, I get the salary cap, understand the concept of having the space to sign a marquee player, and I recognize the notion of "potential," though it is VERY overblown on this BBS. (Hi, DaDakota---I haven't seen Chase Budinger become Larry Bird or Jordan Hill become Amare STAT.) ;)

However, I just do not buy that Morey made EVERY SINGLE trade and transaction with this "ultimate plan" of acquiring James and eventually Dwight. In many ways, Morey has been on the losing end of the trades he's "masterminded." The guys he thought had so-called potential were really disappointing for what was given up to get them in a Rockets uniform.

If you go back to the Pau Gasol trade that was rejected, you can see some of the holes in the "Morey is a God"ideology. If that would have gone through, once again, our team would have been gutted from every position (Kmart was our best scorer at the time)

From my personal connections,, I know that Pau would have been paired with NeNe, though a former Celtic got in the way of that.

People argue that every Morey move has been designed with the consistent mindset of acquiring James or a "star." The numbers don't add up to this defense.

I'm grateful that this team is finally a cohesive, strong unit, but Morey does have his flaws, and it gets annoying that some fans don't recognize his countless missteps along the way. Even if they were for cap purposes, (Shane/Thabeet), the outcome didn't net us a star until much, much later.

Morey's greatest strength is finding and developing talent from a drafting standpoint.

9. MONON

MONON Member

Good articles, although I don't think we'll make either of the trades suggested.

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Its not as cut and dry as some would have it seem

11. kastuul

kastuul Member

He drafted Royce White that may cost him.

He could sign Lin at lower cost if he didn't waive him.

12. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

If you accept the premise that you have to have star players to win (and I think everyone does), then there are three ways to aquire them. Draft, free agency, and trades.

My understanding is that Morey thought tanking was the easiest way to go, but the owner said no. That means you have to always have assets for trades and cap space for free agency (and trades), while at the same time fielding at least an average team. And it means taking bigger gambles in the draft (Royce White).

While you are hanging around waiting for that star player to arrive via free agency or a trade, you can try the fourth route...sift through a lot of players with potential and see if anything develops. That is bound to result in tons of roster churn, because you have to give each of them a chance before moving on.

It's not that he was a genius wizard in predicting talent, it is that he developed a plan within the constraints he had and methodically worked it. It was a good plan, and he should get credit for that.

13. Baruch

Baruch Member

Morey mentioned in one of his interviews trade happens by chance, just like how Harden and Dwight landed on Houston. His job is to evaluate talent (aka assets) and make cap space available when opportunity knocks the door.

14. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

BAD GM's ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your ridiculous suggestion

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Morey can pull quality PG's out of his ass. He used to pull serviceable 4's also with Landry, Hayes, Scola, and Patterson(was low lottery pick). However, he swung for the fences with Morris, White, and Dmo and he missed on Morris and White. It remains to be seen how Dmo turns out. All that being said, everyone knew we were swinging for the fences with White and Morris, so the bust factor isn't surprising.

Morey isn't perfect, but his track record is better than most.

In regards to the Gasol trade, everyone points to his numbers the last few years. However people forget that Gasol had to play with Kobe and Bynum which limited his touches. If you saw the Olympics and the first game of the season without Kobe, you can see Gasol is still the most skilled big man in the game. He just took a back seat to Kobe.

Getting Harden was pure luck, but Morey put himself in position to take advantage of OK's incompetence.

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

What's rediculous about it? It follows logically with what Morey has done in the past.

Lin is traded or allowed to expire so there's enough room to sign LMA or Love in 2015.

Beverley, a quality role player and good fit next to 3 dominant players (Harden, LMA, Howard) is signed to a resonable deal using his Bird rights.

Llull, a euro that Morey himself has said is a great fit next to Harden, fullfills his wish to win a Euro Cup and comes to the NBA in a few years.

If you're going to call me out, at least provide an intelligent rebuttal.

17. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

He may have determined that the PG is like the NFL's RB position. Easiest to find and plug into than the other positions.

18. RRockets

RRockets Member

19. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Contract wise yes, but if all contracts were equal I wouldn't think anybody would choose Asik + Bev over Asik + Lin.

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

As long as there are competent ball handlers at the 2 and 3 spot, the point guard position is just an ancillary position. I'm not saying we have a LeBron/Wade duo on our hands right now but Miami can afford to have a Mario Chalmers or a Norris Cole play point because Wade and LeBron can handle the ball for most of the game. Harden and Parsons don't have that elite ball handling skill but it's something that will improve with Howard here and the PnR become even more of a staple in the offense.

One of the things that almost burned Miami last year in the Finals was Tony Parker because Chalmers and Cole are sub-par to average defenders. If Beverly can be that competent point guard (hit the occasional 3; keep defenses honest) that can defend like no other, that's all the Rockets will need.

I'd wish we still had Lowry or Dragic to go with Harden/Parson/Asik/Howard but that's not a possibility right now and I don't think that not having a "premier" point guard will hurt us in the playoffs. As long as there's a steady hand at the point, the team can ride Harden/Parsons/Howard.