1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Interviews/Clips from Day 7 of Training Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 4, 2013.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Heck we threw Harden at Ibaka in the playoffs, it wouldn't be so far fetched!

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I wouldn't be shocked when Tmac decides to come down more often

3. steady

steady Member

I could watch these shooting drills all day long. :)

4. basketballholic

You're being too conservative. That stroke......45%+. If that boy gets his confidence going ..... look out.

We should quit worrying about which forward spot he's gonna play. He'll be in one corner or the other. Whether it's Parsons in the other corner, or Garcia, or Casspi, or TJones or DMo. Doesn't matter. He'll be in the corner. Shooting that sweet J.

On the defensive end, he'll be taking the least offensive player with Parsons or Garcia or Jones taking the other one. That is...unless he proves to be a kick butt defender too.

That shot gets me goin.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I actually don't think there will be that much negativity directed towards Howard. The only people going negative on him are Lakers fans-- like Kareem. Most of the country are busy laughing at the Lakers' misfortune rather than cursing Dwight for leaving them.

6. steady

steady Member

Covington had meniscus knee surgery in December 2012. It doesn't seem like it will be a factor going forward; it was more important in causing him to go undrafted as scouts were uncertain how to assess his lower performing senior year.

The "passive" comment in the draftexpress profile is interesting, but I am not persuaded given the positive comments we've been hearing about him from the Rockets and those covering the Rockets this summer.

The below NBA Prospects piece (August 2012) before Covington's senior year, is much more positive. (What do people think of this blog?) The article compares him to Danny Granger, noting Covington's versatility, unselfishness, and sufficient aggression. Also notes his sweet shot. *Seems a good fit with the Rockets' brand of offense. Should be fun to watch him develop.

http://nbaprospects.blogspot.com/2012/08/comparing-robert-covington-to-danny.html

1 person likes this.
  7. steady

steady Member

I don't know, I expect some negativity, or at least a very heightened level of scrutiny/criticism/judgment for at least the first part of the season. I hope I am wrong though.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

On this team there is no greater hole to fill than a 3 and D power forward.

9. NotChandlerParsons

I'm saying the dude will not guard good PFs, nor will any of our other PFs or small guys who will be asked to play PF. Really, none of those guys have great defensive potential except Terrence Jones. He will play as a stretch 4 on offense and on defense we will hide him.

Most teams don't have two respectable offensive bigs, Omer and Dwight will be asked to guard the all-star PFs and Cs for the most part.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The white Steve Novak

11. NotChandlerParsons

Also don't get me wrong, I hope the Covington becomes Dennis Rodman. But he had defensive issues in the Ohio Valley Conference, he's short and not that fast. I don't think he is ready to guard NBA SFs or PFs. Add some bulk and seasoning, and maybe he can guard PFs without post games (like most of them) and be a good weak side shot blocker/passing lane steal generator.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Being able to hit shots in college is a completely different world from being able to hit shots in the NBA. Especially when everyone you play against is bigger and more athletic. (Hello Canaan). I wish Covington the best, but he is a long shot to say the least.

13. Rox23

Rox23 Member

The more I see and hear and read the more I like Covington. However...no way he plays the PF position. Hoopsworld has him listed at 6'6" 210. Harden by contrast (a 2 guard) is 6'5" 220. Considering all the great guards that we have we might as well start Harden at the PF spot...he's a pretty good shooter too!

McHale is one of the most anti-rookie coaches in the league and also he doesn't mention Covington much in his interviews (mentions guys like Casspi a lot though). No matter how good he is Covington will start off in the D-league just like all rookies in McHale's system. He's someone to keep an eye on though.

14. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Players can get overlooked

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You dog! You beat me to it. ;)

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

McHale is a bush league anti rookie coach compared to Addledman. Parsons won a starting spot 7 games into the season. A second round pick.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So he's the black Matt Bullard. What's not to like?

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

there is also no chance to not overlook him when he hasn't played an NBA game.

19. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Bullard was 6'11" and guys at that height who can shoot the three are at a premium. And, even if you are that height and can shoot the three that's still not enough to make one an NBA contributor. Ask Steve Novak, who floated around for like 5 years until finally his game matured enough where he had other things to offer too.

If you're only 6'6", you have to do more than just shoot the three to be an NBA contributor.

20. eomor131

eomor131 Member

Don't worry
    We have an Anti-Griffin weapon - Greg Smith.

Keep Covinton!