1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Dwight Howard's a Rocket, is LaMarcus Aldridge next?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Saying you don't want Asik because you have Lopez is like saying you don't want Dwight because you have Asik.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is because throughout this thread, you don't have any idea of how Morey works. He's a min-max type of guy, squeezing the most value given his constraints(salary limits). In a perfect world, this would involve ONLY max players(aka stars) and guys on rookie contracts. If Morey had to choose between an average starter at $8mil and below-average but capable starter at $1mil, he'll take the latter. This is so he can use the savings to try to obtain another star.

Obviously, the real world places is not perfect. So Morey likely has to stop at 2 stars. But he would trade Lin in a second if the resulting assets can land him a star.

3. Jah

Jah Member

Well, they have Lopez and Meyers as Centers. Would they want a third Center whom they have to start because of his salary while Lopez also have a large contract? Otherwise, Asik or Lopez will have to come off the bench. Just doesn't make sense. And they can't trade Lopez until a year from now.

I just don't see how Asik make sense for them with Lopez.

4. joe101

joe101 Member

I don't pretend to be Morey, no one should either. You may be right about Morey's min-max practice, but you are not him. You can only speculate but you don't know what he will actually do until it's happened. When you reach championship competitiveness, I'd think you want to keep what works to get you there. What if we get there without having to add another "star", or, may be one of the guys on the team can become one in a year or two... just saying.

5. tobiaseugene

tobiaseugene New Member

Portland receives Kevin Love and Omer Asik; Minnesota receives Nicolas Batum, Robin Lopez and draft picks from Houston and Portland; Houston receives LaMarcus Aldridge.

LA wants out of Portland, and clearly wants to come to Houston. Asik wants out of Houston. Portland wants to do a straight trade with Minnesota for Kevin Love, but they rejected that proposal. Minnesota receives Batum and Lopez plus either 1st or 2nd rounds picks from the Rockets and Blazers in the next draft with is very strong, they could get their next Kevin Love that has found the cure for injuries lol

I think Lin would thrive in an offense with Aldridge and Howard, especially with pick n rolls. His basketball IQ, court vision and high pace is very efficient for our system. If you can dump him in a trade, I would say go for John Wall in next free agency...I mean that is a dream, but could you imagine; Wall, Harden, Parsons, Aldridge and Howard?

6. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

From Zach Lowe's profile piece on the Blazers today:
    [rQUOTEr]And that raises the other Portland trade possibility: What if they could deal for a long-term solution at center, someone better than Lopez, without trading Aldridge?

The obvious candidate is Omer Asik, semi-expendable in Houston, but the Blazers don't have much to offer the Rockets. 9

9. The Rockets would surely covet Aldridge, leading to a popular fake trade making the rounds among league executives: Aldridge to Houston for Asik, Terrence Jones or Donatas Motiejunas, salary filler, and picks. Suffice it to say, the folks bandying this one around are higher than average on Asik, and lower than average on Aldridge. I'd be shocked if Portland even thought about this — at least for now.[/rQUOTEr]

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I surely hope so,,,would be awesome.

8. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

This reminds me: where's my new podcast?

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

19:14

Woj:

"Well I think he's going to be in Portland in the foreseeable future. I don't know what leverage he has right now. He's got two years left on his deal. You know, a lot can change in two years in the NBA. A lot can change in one year. And listen, at the end of these two years maybe as a free agent he decides to leave. Maybe Portland moves him at the trade deadline before he leaves, before he can leave. But I don't see them … I don't think Neil Olshey is going to trade him for pennies on the dollar. There's a star attraction, there's a guy they can bring back that they can build around of course they'll do it, but I don't know if LaMarcus Aldridge is commanding that kind of value on the market right now.

"Certainly there's teams who want him, but what are they willing to give up? I think he's going to be in Portland. Certainly the team will be much improved this year. I think they have a chance to compete for the playoffs, and by the way, he's got to play at a very high level for them to do that. I think he can maybe want to somewhere else but he can increase his value by playing really well for them this year. I think that will quiet down because Portland has not shopped him and they haven't put him out there and I don't think they're going to do that."

Via

On the Rockets:

What do you expect in Houston? What style will they play? Can they run with Dwight or do they have to change their style?

It's a good question. One thing I do know and I was talking about this with someone today, they're very committed going into camp and I'll believe it when I see it but Kevin McHale has talked within that organization about being very committed to trying to play Dwight Howard and Omer Asik together. That certainly limits you offensively those two and we'll see how that goes. They'll have to trade Asik at some point. He certainly wants out. He signed to be the starting center there last year. I think there are a lot of teams interested in him. That'll be an interesting scenario to see how that plays out. With Harden and Parsons and the group they have, they will want to get up and down the floor. I think you can run with Dwight, especially if he's blocking shots, rebounding, controlling the boards and outletting the ball, his ability to control the boards defensively allows you to get out and run but at the same time, you have to balance that with a big guy who wants the ball and wants to be in a situation where they play through him and we'll see how much they do play through him in Houston. I'm sure in the recruitment they told him they'll play through him all the time but they have him signed for four years now so we'll see how that goes.

10. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

there is no Lebron to make up for assists. Harden is great but not Lebron level yet.

11. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Patrick did a better job than Lin in the play-offs, so why not?

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

There are actually some legitimate reasons why Beverley could fit better as the starter over Lin. Pointing to a 6 game sample where 1 guy was injured for 4 1/2 of them counts as one of the dumbest, yet still gets repeated ad nauseum.

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Hou 476 Total yards
    Seattle 270 Total yards

Hahahaha

14. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

:grin: Damn you!! I came to this forum to get away from Texans talk. ;)

15. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Aldridge
    Howard

I approve this message

16. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

Damn, the blazers should be a good team with lillard, lma, trob, batum, rlopez, allen crabbe and mo williams. That's a nice mix of all star talent and role players, veterans and youth, with talent in the front and backcourt.

If the nba weren't so damn corrupt and hell bent on shoehorning the tired lakers into a 7 or 8 spot, the blazers should be legitimately contending for a playoff spot between 6 and 8.

I don't see the blazers giving up lma unless he desperately wanted out, which may in fact be the case.

lma would be a great fit but I'm also intrigued by the thought of klove joining the rockets.

Both lma and love are on teams that will languish in the bottom half of playoff teams in the west if all goes well with the blazers and wolves, but those teams don't have the potential to contend for a championship.

It could be a case of 'who blinks first' with love and lma and their respective teams. Do the wolves or blazers think asik + a high potential 4 (dmo or tj) would be worth it to unload a potentially disgruntled star?

17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

He Obviously wouldn't say anything otherwise, even if he intended to trade Aldridge, but... Blazers GM: "If [Aldridge] wasn't happy, he wouldn't be here."

Also talked about potentially adding another star by "aggregating assets" down the road.

<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/puZQDC/h4nBWFj5_ZoA/embed/select/QR7vK07yVJM1?params=zone%3Dblazers&autoPlay=false" width="480" height="270" frameborder="0" seamless="seamless" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

18. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Seriously I don't See Asik being the trade piece to CET LMA or Love,their Teams already have Centers (Pekovic and López) so a third Team has to be involved.

19. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

It was all a dream
    I used to read Word Up magazine...

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

More like Lin and his brother Zin