1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conservatives: Get ObamaCare and Uncle Sam will sexually assault you

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Sep 21, 2013.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I love the names that these groups make up. Generation Opportunity and Freedom Works and Americans for Prosperity. How sad the lies and misinformation that conservatives have to spew to scare people into not taking advantage of health insurance. Why don't you guys tell the public that medical bills are the number one cause of bankruptcy in America? Yes, you too can have the freedom to go bankrupt! YES! FREEDOM!!!!!

Conservatives: Get ObamaCare and Uncle Sam will sexually assault you

http://news.yahoo.com/conservatives-obamacare-uncle-sam-sexually-assault-143000770.html

Has this ever happened to you? You're in the middle of a routine physical exam when suddenly a nightmarish vision of Uncle Sam emerges from nowhere and needlessly probes your butt.

That's the hyperbolic take on ObamaCare put forward in a conservative ad from Generation Opportunity, a group backed by the free-spending libertarian Koch brothers. Here's the video, along with another one aimed at women:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BsN75nt1aUU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R7cRsfW0Jv8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>The message in both is clear: ObamaCare will, more or less, rape you at the doctor's office.

Extreme? Certainly. (New York's Jonathan Chait calls it the "rape-clown argument.") However, the ads' underlying goal is not to save you from unwanted prostate exams, but rather to defeat the health care law by convincing the uninsured — and especially young adults — to "opt out" of ObamaCare.

Starting October 1, Americans can begin enrolling in health care exchanges created by the Affordable Care Act. The exchanges are intended to enroll millions of uninsured Americans, creating a huge new pool of customers that will, in theory, force insurance companies to compete against each other and drive down prices for everyone.

The exchanges need to attract plenty of young, healthy Americans to help defray the costs of adding older, sicker people to the insurance pool. Young people tend to have lower insurance costs, which drives down premiums for everyone.

That's where the Uncle Sam ads come in. They're just the latest incarnation of an ongoing campaign by conservative groups to spook young people into staying uninsured, thus spoiling the exchange rollout and dooming ObamaCare.

The conservative group FreedomWorks launched a campaign this summer telling Americans, "Burn your ObamaCare card." Though there is actually no such card, the group aims to equate the health care law with the military draft.

"We're trying to make it socially acceptable to skip the exchange," FreedomWorks' Dean Clancy told Reuters.

Another anti-ObamaCare group, Americans For Prosperity, is spending upwards of $1 million on ads sowing confusion about the law and urging people to not enroll. One ad features a woman who, while fretting about her son's health problems, suggests the ACA will raise health care costs and prevent people from being able to choose their own doctors. (The latter claim is completely false, says FactCheck.org.)

Citizens for Healthcare Freedom even released a flier explicitly outlining the movement's goal.

"If not enough people enroll, the Exchanges will fail," the flier says. "If the Exchanges fail, ObamaCare fails."

With the exchanges about to kick in, more of this kind of messaging is on the way. Generation Opportunity's Burger King-esque Uncle Sam ads are just one part of a larger six-figure campaign that's just getting underway.

Here's Yahoo's Chris Moody:

Later this month, the group will begin a tour of 20 college campuses, where they plan to set up shop alongside pro-Obamacare activists such as Enroll America that are working to sign people up for the insurance exchanges.

Generation Opportunity intends to host events at college football tailgate parties festivals, where "brand ambassadors" (read: hot young people) will pass out beer koozies that read "opt out," pizza and literature about the health care law. Some events may have impromptu dance parties with DJ's, complete with games of cornhole and competitions for prizes, organizers said. [Yahoo]

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

more like the government will have access to all your personal medical data

3. Raven

Raven Member

You've got to give the right wing credit, they sure do know their base, dumb, paranoid, and easily scared.

4. bucket

bucket Member

This from the party of forced, medically unnecessary trans-vaginal ultrasounds?

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The same government that has admitted to spying on its own citizens having unprecedented access to your medical data...and that doesn't bother you? Ummm....ok.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Yeah no need to worry about government agencies handling your private information. The IRS and NSA have proven they respect and protect our privacy, we can assume HHS will be no different.

I'm sure the Obamacare exchanges are super secure and all the employees will have gone through extensive background checks.

Stop being paranoid people.

7. CometsWin

Now it's about privacy? HOLY...

8. Refman

That still doesn't address the issue. There are a number of problems with the system. Governmental access to medical information is one of them.

9. CometsWin

How has that problem manifested in Medicare and Medicaid? Do you have any evidence for anything? Comparing rates of corporate privacy issues to government? How about when a company finds out you have a particular illness and then fires you so you lose your health insurance? I actually receive phone calls from my insurance company trying to get me to check in with one of their nurses to "help" me with managing an illness. How's that for privacy?

Is this just another Republican red herring thrown out without any evidence to substantiate anything? This is the party that brought us the Patriot Act and the wiretaps in the first place so telling me you're concerned about my privacy now is pretty bizarre.

So what is the Republican Plan to replace Obamacare? If you get sick die quickly. If you rack up $300,000 in medical bills, take personal responsibility. Let's hear that plan.

10. Raven

Raven Member

If I thought that Government snooping would be eliminated by stopping Obamacare, that would be one thing, but the Government is going to snoop regardless of whether Obamacare exist.

11. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

The problem is your irrational fear of the government dtiving your politics. the hilarious thing is you were in another thread all fearful of the govt not paying doctors through medicare. medicare is the govt and obamacare will work with private insurance

12. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Exactly this was on real time and they made that exact point

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

If the right is consistent in their approach to a less intrusive government? Sure. But government spying on people I believe is the ONLY thing Republicans have agreed with Obama so far.

I'm all for consistency. Small government? Sure. Cut spending everywhere, starting with the biggest money drain with military budget. More free market? Sure, just don't bail out banks with billions when you won't even give unemployed food stamps. Less intrusion into privacy? Okay. But don't take it away because of 9/11 when you won't even allow for simple background checks on guns.

As long as a side hold a consistent viewpoint, any viewpoint, then I'm generally okay with it. It's more the hypocrisy that annoys me than any particular opinion.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sounds good to me! Bring it on!

15. Refman

I am the first person that would agree with Newt Gingrich that the Republicans must come forward with a reasonable alternative to Obamacare. That they haven't does not cause Obamacare to be better law than it is.

16. Refman

Doctors not being paid through Medicare isn't a fear, it's a reality. The payouts are slow and small.

Why is it that doctors are increasingly not accepting new Medicare patients? It isn't because the doctors don't want business.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If that's true, it's pretty disgusting.

18. Raven

Raven Member

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This I'm not aware of. What medical data?

20. Refman

Obamacare creates the Federal Data Services Hub. It will contain a file on each person containing how much money they make, their savings, immigration status, criminal record and health information. The database will be maintained by HHS. I am not sure who will have access to the database, which is pretty eerie to me.