1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arian Foster admits he took money in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Sep 20, 2013.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130920/arian-foster-documentary-comments-about-being-paid-at-tennessee/?sct=hp_t11_a0&eref=sihp

Add Arian Foster's voice to the growing chorus who believe that NCAA athletes -- football and basketball players, in particular -- should be compensated for their labor. Last February, the Houston Texans running back was approached by the producers for the documentary Schooled: The Price of College Sports.

In the course of a four-hour interview, Foster contrasted his dire financial straits at the University of Tennessee to the commerce surrounding the Volunteers football program. He also disclosed (see video, above) that he received money during his senior season.​

"I don't know if this will throw us into an NCAA investigation -- my senior year, I was getting money on the side," said Foster. "I really didn't have any money. I had to either pay the rent or buy some food. I remember the feeling of like, 'Man, be careful.' But there's nothing wrong with it. And you're not going to convince me that there is something wrong with it.

"There were plenty of times where throughout the month I didn't have enough for food," Foster said in the 90-minute documentary. "Our stadium had like 107,000 seats; 107,000 people buying a ticket to come watch us play. It's tough just like knowing that, being aware of that. We had just won and I had a good game, 100 yards or whatever You go outside and there's hundreds of kids waiting for you. You're signing autographs, taking pictures, whatever.

"Then I walk back, and reality sets in. I go to my dorm room, open my fridge, and there's nothing in my fridge. Hold up, man. What just happened? Why don't I have anything to show for what I just did? There was a point where we had no food, no money, so I called my coach and I said, 'Coach, we don't have no food. We don't have no money. We're hungry. Either you give us some food, or I'm gonna go do something stupid.' He came down and he brought like 50 tacos for like four or five of us. Which is an NCAA violation. [laughs] But then, the next day I walk up to the facility and I see my coach pull up in a brand new Lexus. Beautiful."

"I'm a firm believer that an employee should get paid for his work," Foster added. "And, 100 percent, I see student athletes as employees. Hiding from it is just cowardly."​

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

video:
    <object id="flashObj" width="480" height="270" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=2683162202001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fsportsillustrated.cnn.com%2Fvideo%2Fncaaf-video%2F20130920%2Fcfb-arian-foster-paid-money-tennessee-epix.sportsillustrated%2F&playerID=2159103141001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAB9mw57HE~,xU4DCdZtHhva60KhJ4SMErR-CrOhlQmx&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=2683162202001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fsportsillustrated.cnn.com%2Fvideo%2Fncaaf-video%2F20130920%2Fcfb-arian-foster-paid-money-tennessee-epix.sportsillustrated%2F&playerID=2159103141001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAB9mw57HE~,xU4DCdZtHhva60KhJ4SMErR-CrOhlQmx&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="480" height="270" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

on the front page i thought it was something bad like "arian foster admits he took steroids".

this?

big whoop.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Did the TEXANS really need this RIGHT NOW? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Huh? This affects the Texans in absolutely no way.

1 person likes this.
  6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Have you ever taken a psychology class? :eek: Just wondering.

7. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

i really thought they got some sort of stipend.. enough to feed themselves at least

8. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

lol can you imagine the ESPN headlines and coverage for a player getting suspended for accepting tacos? HAHAHAHA

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So he's not allowed to speak his mind in the middle of the NFL season? This has zero bearing on the Texans.

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

How the fack would anyone on the Texans be affected psychologically?

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yes, please do tell.

this should be good...

12. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

You guys just don't get it. The o-line is gonna be pissed once they find out Arian got free tacos. It's hard to block for for someone when you're hungry and upset. The Texans are screwed.

13. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

TACOGATE.

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

have you?? why would anyone on the texans care?

15. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

now the real question is...

taco bell or jack in the box?

16. Summer Song Giver

Free education Arian. This guys a douche

17. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

The Bell. They don't have JITB in Knoxville.

18. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

you know maybe colleges should put a disclosure when high school kids sign a letter of intent that while you're playing sports for this school you wont get a dime...

how bout try getting a part time job while you're in college Arian?

19. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

exactly... imagine these poor inner city student athletes play for a school that dont offer athletic scholarships.

20. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

This is going to continually happen until they start paying them what they're worth. And I mean actually paying them, not giving them a scholarship to learn worthless crap designed just to keep them enrolled and eligible. This in-kind contribution/trade system is broken, old, and needs to be updated.