1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peyton chose us and we turned him down

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Chef_Monteur, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So you basically have ZERO understanding of NFL salary cap rules, and the fact that we would have had to cut like 5 players just to sign him. Got it.

2. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

when did peyton say this or choose us?

3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

We wouldn't have been able to resign Foster, Daniels. There wouldn't have been Ed Reed or a Brian Cushing extension either.

Sum of the parts

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

No doubt, but they aren't typically top qb of all-time-level free agents while your qb is matt schaub and the rest of your roster is championship-caliber, nor does a typical owner basically say that he thinks that a matt schaub-level qb is a more capable qb than a peyton manning-level qb.

We can safely assume that the Texans' brass never spoke to Peyton. That isn't only because they knew he was out of their price range.

Whatever, I quit this thread. I don't feel like getting worked up. The people who give the Texans' the excuse of "it was impossible to sign him/we would definitely have had to mortgage our future to sign him" are more short-sighted than the people who neglect salary cap considerations altogether.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sign Peyton, say goodbye to JJ Watt.

Is that what you want?

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

Who cares about Daniels? You think Peyton Manning needs Owen freaking Daniels? He's currently in the process of turning some 3-year roster filler of a tight end who nobody had heard of a week ago into one of the game's best tight ends.

And, judging by the new-found sentiment of tons of Texans' fans, who cares about Arian Foster either?

Ed Reed wouldn't have been in anybody's conscience. That's hindsight.

Cushing not getting an extension would be the only real loss, and who in god's name cares who we lose in the long-term if we are increasing our championship odds tenfold in the next 2-4 years?

A city who has 2 real sports championships in it's existence worrying about retaining Brian Cushing in lieu of drastically improving our odds at a Super Bowl ring or two. Shaking My Damn Head.

7. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

I would rather keep JJ and have Good QB than sign Manning and lose JJ and our Def takes a HUGE hit.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Peyton is good, but JJ is better and is 30 years younger.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

I preface by saying that there never seem to be any indication that Peyton would come here. So in that sense the OP should be blasted.

However, I find it sad that people are so much on their high horse about the salary cap being the reason. If the Texans truly wanted Peyton, they could've made a comparable offer. This would not be the case under NBA salary cap rules, but it sure as hell would've been very possible under NFL salary cap rules. The Texans may have needed to tweak some salaries, maybe Joseph or Foster or cut Antonio Smith. But they could've gotten it done no problem.

This is because Denver's contract with Peyton was basically non-guaranteed beyond the first year. You can always trump such offers with less base salary but more guaranteed money, either by guaranteeing more years(i.e. 1st 3 years all guaranteed) or Signing bonus. The Texans, if they truly wished, absolutely could've made a competitive offer.

However, I don't begrudge them for not doing so. I wanted to take the risk at the time. But given what we knew back then, it was certainly nowhere near the slam dunk it seems now.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

So you guys are saying that given between the choice of

A. Matt Schaub forever + Watt extension

and

B. Peyton Manning for 3 years, then cut to create cap room + Watt extension

You would choose A?

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wasn't aware Schaub was going to be around forever.

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Well, at least Manning has a ring. I don't think anybody will be talking about Schaub as an all-time player, no matter his record by the end of his career.

I just find it amazing what homerism there is around here for Schaub, who at best is a good QB who in all the seasons he has been here has led us to the playoffs exactly twice, and only played in one of those two postseasons, helping us getting blown out in our second game.

To say (all things salary cap, etc. being equal) that if Manning were to want to come here you would still choose Schaub on ability alone is absolutely moronic.

13. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i particulary loved this one.. from the schaub support group..

"can peyton even run the bootleg?"

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I don't know about rolling out, but he had a solid play action pass with Edge back in the day.

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

come on. that couldn't have been a serious post.

i doubt schaub supporters would actually choose schaub over peyton. even i think that would be asinine. i don't believe however in absolute statements like the texans will never win a super bowl with schaub. give him protection and he'll carve up a defense, just like his better counterparts. so he can't run an 8.5 40. he's still one of the better QBs in the league. and no team in the texans position 2 years ago is going to sign peyton manning when they have someone like Schaub (this isn't to say schaub is elite so all of you schaub haters can relax). at the time i didn't think peyton had enough left. in hindsight, hell yea i would trade him for schaub. we're still arguably a top 3 AFC team so to say we're not Super bowl contenders because of our QB sounds a bit ridiculous.

#35 macalu, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  16. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

those making it about watt or peyton... watt wasnt even the player he was now when peyton was on the market. so i dont see how that factored in at all. now that watt seems to be a once in a generation type of player theres still guys getting paid wih a watt extension looming. foster got his extension days before peyton chose denver than matt got his in preseason. signing would have forced some casulties. for one matt never gets extended, foster walks, and like someone else mentioned owen is probably gone too. peyton could have made due with tate, graham, and casey..

17. conquistador#11

but you're kidding yourself if you think manning could win with the defense allowing that many points. He'd would have still fallen to the fetal position facing a ravens defense that brought in the playoffs. You would be surprised but after his debacle at home against the ravens, people in denver were wanting him out. "one and done."

dilfer had better numbers in his superbowl run with the ravens. ;)
    Trent dilfer superbowl run... 3tds 1 int. you can dig up peyton's.

It's not easy. The favorites don't even win, but We have a team that can get there and contend. As long as you get in there, you have an equal chance.

18. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Maybe we are paying our players too much, then? Denver still has a helluva team and were able to sign Manning to a good contract. They have more overall talent on defense than we do, especially in the secondary.

How do they have so much talent and so much cap space? Is our front office garbage? If so, then we need new people to run this team.

What bothers me about the Texans and has always bothered me is that they don't ever seem to take risks. Whether its on the playing field or making front office decisions. We're always super conservative, afraid to rile up the media in our favor, afraid of making a wrong decision, afraid to show our fans that they are dedicated to going after the best players on the market.

In the NFL, you have to take risks. You stay conservative all the time and teams no longer fear you. You become predictable and boring, just like our fraudulently overpaid running back has become.

I want to see more fire from this front office. JJ Watt is good, but when you have a chance to land one of the best QBs to EVER play the game, even JJ Watt becomes expendable. Its a no brainer. Sorry if you don't feel this way.

19. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

This. There was no guarantee that he was coming back from the neck injury to the form he is in now. At Manning's age, it would have been a very high risk move.

Denver took the risk because Tebow was their starter. It was a no brainer for them.

20. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

High risk for high reward. Sometimes you have to just say " What the ****" in life. Denver did that and we didn't.