1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

JJ Watt: "Rob Turner tried to blow out my knee"

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Richie_Rich, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Texans’ J.J. Watt says block by Titans’ Turner was dirty, could’ve blown out knee

1 person likes this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

dirty titans, our season would have been over if watt got taken out.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I notice the texans tend to go higher with their cut blocks. I remember james casey in particular always made an effort to cut block high, he said he doesn't want to injure another player.

But I think all cut blocks are gonna be outlawed eventually.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I was always taught to drive through a player's thigh pad. I used to cut a lot as a small lineman, and it was something I prided myself in. I never injured anyone, either.

Simple anatomy would suggest if you hit someone in a joint, you could do damage more easily than hitting someone in a sturdy, stable area (like the femur).

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I can't see cut blocks being made illegal. It's often times the only way a smaller back or TE can attempt to block a lineman, and usually the defender can see a cut block coming and avoid it or brace for impact.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

interesting take on NFL AM about a cut block resulting in a broken ankle for a player for the 49ers...Willis was really trying to push to make cut blocks illegal...

Some excerpts of the discussion brought up a really good point: The Defensive player's speed is semi neutralized, bc players have to practice how to protect themselves from being cut. Players actively look on the backside, in anticipation of a low block even if the block isnt delivered. That really can slow a fast DLine down tremendously. We will find out how effective when we play the Niners and Seahawks. Both of those teams are on a different level defensively, with the edge going to the Seahawks...

There are some blocks that are malicious and intentionally done by a player that is frustrated that can really hurt a player(ie. Cushing)...Cut Blocks are just dangerous when a player isnt expecting it, bc they can protect them selves against it if seen in time...Cushing and (yesterday)JJ Watt were blind side cut...that really makes a player mad and right fully so...

7. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Titans' rookie OG Warmack on Watt: He’s just another guy

8. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

lol @ Warmack

The dude couldn't hold JJ's sack. He was holding Watt on nearly every single snap he faced him. Even with Watt's facemask grab he was still getting completely dominated by him. He'll notice when they study game tape how garbage he was against Watt.

Where Warmack did succeed was when they pulled him for runs in the run-trap game. He's quite good at that, but he still has a ton to learn in pass pro.

And as far as these blind side cut-back blocks, I say suspend the guy. Screw penalties, these guys make millions and a few thousand dollars won't hurt them. Take away a game check and put them in the hot seat with a suspension and they'll stop this **** right away.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

lol, I hope Watt sees this...Warmack is royally screwed next game.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

11. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't a Titans lineman say the EXACT same thing last year after Watt dominated him?

EDIT: Looks like juicystream answered my question directly above.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Guys, apparently, Watt's weakness is illegal blindside cut blocks.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Warmack is Harris' replacement at RG.

The similarity is downright freaky.

5 tackles 2 sacks 1 stuff in both games.

Harris didn't play in the rematch.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Watt's weakness is if the OL has a locked down hold on him he has a harder time sacking the QB.

15. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

Here is the link and the quotes.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...art-accused-dirty-play-houston-texans-players

Tennessee right guard Leroy Harris also made a bold statement following the lopsided loss, telling the Chronicle that Texans star defensive end J.J. Watt is "not anything special."

Watt recorded a pair of sacks in the contest, increasing his league-leading total to 7½, and forced a fumble.

"(Watt) is not anything special," Harris told the paper. "He's just persistent at what he does. And if you use bad technique, he'll exploit. I locked him down most the game, except those two plays (sacks)."

Sounds like they are trying to psych themselves into believing that they can compete against JJ Watt.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Womack doesn't sound like he's dissing Watt like the guy last year did. He sounds more like he's doing the old "He puts his pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us" thing. I didn't see any disrespect in there. You'd hope your players felt that way about the guy they are matched up against instead of quitting before they start.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He also has a problem getting TFL's while being facemasked.

BTW, we need to get a website going that basically warns any NFL player they will be murdered if they take a cheap shot on Watt and blow his knee out.

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

or that Kareem Jackson will retaliate on one of their receivers ;)

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Are you the same guy who blows pollard on 610?

Funny though, Kareem's hit was dirty and unwarranted.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The 2 sacks is not really accurate. One of those was a hands-to-the-face penalty by Watt which was called. They apparently just let you keep the sack in that scenario.