1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Freeman likely to seek a trade

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Sydeffect, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23661569/buccaneers-qb-josh-freeman-expected-to-seek-a-trade

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Likely to fetch no more than a 5th or 6th rounder. If that...

3. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Raiders gonna back the truck up.

Seriously though, Schiano seems like a world-class douchecopter and Freeman's days have probably been numbered since the GM/Coach who drafted him got canned.

Bucs are going to the cellar and will stay there a while. Atlanta, New Orleans, and Carolina are not going to be sub-.500 teams anytime soon.

4. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I guarantee they get more than that.

5. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Actually, he's probably right. Freeman hasn't shown to be anything more than average, and he's doesn't seem to have much room left for growth. He's going to need a new contract as well. So if you're a struggling team, would you rather throw Schaub-level money at Freeman and give up a draft pick, or spend a top pick on a groomable QB of your own choosing in the draft and save a bunch of money as well?

Also, consider the current market. Who would make such a trade? Buffalo (doubtful due to Manuel being drafted), Jacksonville (that would actually be pretty funny considering the Tampa/Jacksonville rivalry), Oakland (doubtful considering the money they have tied up in Flynn), Minnesota (possible but haven't totally given up on Ponder yet and Cassel is getting paid next year)... that leaves the most likely candidate, the New York Jets. Rex Ryan is on the hot seat and needs a quickfix. Sanchez is toast and nobody thinks Geno Smith is going to light the world on fire. Freeman would do quite well there, I think. He gives them the big arm they haven't had since Testaverde's heyday and is a decent game-manager.

1 person likes this.
  6. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

i hope RG3 does the same thing

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's a below average quarterback. What team would invest a high to mid draft pick on him when they can just draft a better prospect? This is how NFL trading works, my friend.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's a top 25 QB that actually still has upside. Absolutely a starter in the league. Plenty of offensive coaches out there probably think they can turn his game around. He has decent value.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

Saying someone is a top 25 QB pretty much means they won't get much for him. His upside is little very little.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't think much of Josh Freeman. His 2010 season looks like a fluke. I doubt anyone gives up much for him if a trade happens.

Schiano seems like a far bigger jerk than even Tom Coughlin and he has done nothing in the NFL to earn cred. Both he and Freeman need to leave Tampa.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Saying he's a Top 25 QB is hardly a ringing endorsement in terms of NFL standards.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Raiders offer a first round pick and two second round picks, they cut him two years later.

13. conquistador#11

top 32 qb for sho'!

no but I can't believe they're giving up on him so soon. They should have gotten him a sexy receiver more complete than V.J, along with a qb's bestie, the TE.
    Luke stocker?really? You want to run the giants 2010 0ffense, you might want to start there. If I'm the jaguars, I'd offer an 2nd and a 3rd.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I don't see alot of takes, because about half of the league's team have some pretty good QBs and the others have put their eggs for the time in guys who are younger than Freeman or recently signed, so it's hard to say where Freeman could go ...

Jacksonville

Minnesota

Oakland (even though Pryor may have a little potential there).

NY Jets (if they really think Geno isn't quite ready, yet)

Tennessee (maybe ...)

Dallas *:grin:* ... joking there.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It is. His value is on par with Palmer or Schaub's when they were traded. He wont go for less than a 3rd round pick.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

LOL. That would be a PR nightmare considering how much the Redskins gave up just to get him. He would need some extra body guards to protect him from Washington fans.

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Some of the same Red"tails" fans eager for Cousins to start.

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Agree but the top 25 thing doesnt mean much. Either way I believe he does have upside, the problem is that the teams that will all need a qb will be in great position in the draft next May to get a QB like Bridgewater, Murray, Boyd, McCarron, Manziel etc. Unless Freeman turns his season around and starts dealing with better numbers then I don't see a team deciding it's better to go with a more expensive young vet as opposed to drafting an inexpensive rookie.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

Who would start him, other than the Jaguars? He's an awful qb who miraculously has a starting qb gig in the nfl, and wants to be traded out of that situation?

20. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The more interesting part of this story for me is Schiano.

It's only been a couple of games, but he already has the look of a coach that has success when working with college kids that don't have the leverage or the confidence to stand up to him and then fails when faced with adults making millions of dollars that don't want to put up with an in-your-face, tyrant coach. I think we saw the same thing with Nick Saban in Miami.

There was also talk before the season that Schiano had rigged the vote for team captains so that Freeman wouldn't be a team captain again. He had been captain in each of his other seasons. That's a real quick way to lose the trust of your players.

It also makes me wonder if some of this was known about Schiano ahead of time. If you remember back to '05-'07, Schiano was one of the hottest names in college football. But as time went on, his star faded quite a bit. Admittedly, this could be because he never had Ray Rice (and Brian Leonard and Tiquan Underwood and Mike Teel) on his team again.

But I also find it interesting that, unless I'm forgetting something, he was never really linked to any other jobs while at Rutgers in the way that so many hot name coaches are each and every offseason. Sure, that could be because he wasn't sniffing around other jobs as much as others, but I wonder if maybe it was because he was known to be difficult.

As far as Freeman goes, I've never been a huge fan (even when he was at K-State), but you could also do a lot worse. He's got good enough tools that he'll get at least one more serious shot at establishing himself again once he leaves Tampa.